Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Lanzer

Post Your Latest Real Life Purchase!

3 hours ago, Cybes said:

bits of meat that used to be your anus

that there is a worthy title for an extreme metal album. \m/(><)\m/

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, @~thehung said:

that there is a worthy title for an extreme metal album.

6 hours ago, Cybes said:

Not to mention it'd fling feces (and blood and bits of meat that used to be your anus) all over the room.

Oh well done you two gave me a good chuckle whilst also making me wince.

Posted (edited)

I bought this Ergolux Stanford Office Chair on the 24th January (arrived 5 days later), and it's been sitting in the box unassembled since then. I really must get around to it sometime 😐

1234-OVPL2OFFCHA1.jpg

Edited by JediKnight

On 23/03/2020 at 10:26 PM, @~thehung said:

i am sick of being exposed to pestilent supermarket crowds only to find theres no damned bog roll on the shelves!

so i am going to give this a try:

that's just scary . and seriously taking exfoliation to levels it were never meant to go to

I was in Coles this arvo. the shelves of loo paper were bare . I asked a staffer if there was any coming out soon ... she went out back and returned with an eight pack.  My theory is if you go and look and don't ask then you don't really need it ... but if you ask then the chances are you really need it now

• Like 1

Was considering another cheap Android TV box to replace the pathetic 'droid dongle I use on the bedroom TV.

Jaycar had 2 - the $70 one barely better than what I've got and one for about $180 which is approaching the price of something proper like a Shield or Apple TV (and the specs though better not overly impressive).

So, why not RasPi.  They only have the 3B+ so that's what I got.  And an enclosure to go with.  Now a whole lot less excuses to get bored if I have to isolate more.

$105 - sure, could probably have gotten the later one and a box on fleaBay for less but it's in my hands now and (probably) disease-free.

Aside from media player, other experiments will include some of the various interface projects for retro computers.

Replacement switch for the home office - a nice new Cisco SG350-10P to replace the old switch that died (a SG300-10 that I bought second hand a couple of years ago)

Having a POE switch in the office is overkill, given it's mostly just to provide networking for the printers, and the occasional laptop, but I wanted to maintain the SG3XX series switches throughout the house so that trunking VLANS is easy, and the POE was only $10 more than the non POE model.

That 3D printer looks a cut about the average one.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, stadl said:

Replacement switch for the home office - a nice new Cisco SG350-10P to replace the old switch that died (a SG300-10 that I bought second hand a couple of years ago)

Having a POE switch in the office is overkill, given it's mostly just to provide networking for the printers, and the occasional laptop, but I wanted to maintain the SG3XX series switches throughout the house so that trunking VLANS is easy, and the POE was only $10 more than the non POE model.

🙂

Well you can always run PZT IP cameras of it if that is your wont (and you just reminded me why I HATE the Cisco site, took me a few mins to find out that yes, it does have enough power to do that, was not familiar with the model 🙂 )

Cheers

Edit: Was thinking that myself Ry - very fast moving field is 3D printing.

Edited by chrisg

Yeah, the Cisco site is some sort of perversity that can only be navigated by externally using google. Obviously they are trying to make it worth your while to pay their partners to select parts.

One of the core switches back in the rack is POE which runs the Wifi AP and cloud key, and I bought an IP camera (non PTZ) to also run off it, but never got around to setting it up. Not really a crime area around here, so was a bit of a boredom buy, and never got around to running a recorder for it anyway.

IT is fun to design, tiresome to setup, boring to maintain - until it breaks and then a headache to fix. My home network is overkill by a mile, but designing it and buying gear was fun.

3 minutes ago, stadl said:

Yeah, the Cisco site is some sort of perversity that can only be navigated by externally using google. Obviously they are trying to make it worth your while to pay their partners to select parts.

One of the core switches back in the rack is POE which runs the Wifi AP and cloud key, and I bought an IP camera (non PTZ) to also run off it, but never got around to setting it up. Not really a crime area around here, so was a bit of a boredom buy, and never got around to running a recorder for it anyway.

IT is fun to design, tiresome to setup, boring to maintain - until it breaks and then a headache to fix. My home network is overkill by a mile, but designing it and buying gear was fun.

🙂

Personally I'd have one to keep an eye on your red baby but that's just me  🙂

I never mind setup, mostly because most plans encounter reality about then  🙂 As for when it breaks- that's when I can get to work  🙂

Cheers

Cheers

2 hours ago, Rybags said:

That 3D printer looks a cut about the average one.

It is hella bigger than I expected.

I had to extend the worktop to site it... And in a different place as I'd bang it whilst walking by !

It's still printing that vase btw !

42 hours now !

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Outcast_Aussie said:

It is hella bigger than I expected.

I had to extend the worktop to site it... And in a different place as I'd bang it whilst walking by !

It's still printing that vase btw !

42 hours now !

Damn!

Now I want one!

edit - Maybe you should have started with a thimble?

Edited by LogicprObe
  • Haha 1

Just got an In Win 103 RBG White mid tower case, a fairly nice unit but words cannot adequately express just how infuriating the ease of pressing the power button is, particularly given its position, when setting the build up. I have a couple of white bequiet! 120mm shadow wings 2 pwm fans on order and am considering the white  Deepcool Gamer Storm Captain 240X AIO as a possible addition. Aaaand hopefully the comfy looking swivel papasan chair I've ordered off eBay gets here some time soon.

AC24709.jpg.4bd66b4589e721346255ef35e0d65861.jpg

I didn't really need it and it was a squeeze to get 7 litres in but...

first petrol under a buck a litre in probably over 10 years so I had to grab some.

6 hours ago, Rybags said:

I didn't really need it and it was a squeeze to get 7 litres in but...

first petrol under a buck a litre in probably over 10 years so I had to grab some.

I never thought I'd see it again..................and given that I haven't increased my rates since 2011, I've been telling my customers that when it goes over $1.50 consistently, I'm gonna uprate them!

Got some new vibram shoes from Qld and the US, and it was a weird moment when it looked like the ones from Ohio might arrive first - but they ended up sitting in a rural NSW depot for a week, while the ones from Qld arrived with no updates on the tracking page.
Turns out one of them fits fine - they're a 44, my current pair are a 43 - but the other ones that were meant to run slightly small, and thus I bought them in 44, are slightly too small and restrict blood flow.  Whenever I can be bothered to get back to the PO, I have a free return prepaid slip.

9 hours ago, Nich... said:

Got some new vibram shoes from Qld and the US, and it was a weird moment when it looked like the ones from Ohio might arrive first - but they ended up sitting in a rural NSW depot for a week, while the ones from Qld arrived with no updates on the tracking page.
Turns out one of them fits fine - they're a 44, my current pair are a 43 - but the other ones that were meant to run slightly small, and thus I bought them in 44, are slightly too small and restrict blood flow.  Whenever I can be bothered to get back to the PO, I have a free return prepaid slip.

Shoes are one of those things I just can't buy online for myself. Sizing is such a difficult game to play. 

I'm not sure I'll bother ever buying another tablet.  The useful lifespan of phones & tablets is pretty pathetic compared to computers.

11 minutes ago, Rybags said:

I'm not sure I'll bother ever buying another tablet.  The useful lifespan of phones & tablets is pretty pathetic compared to computers.

Hmm,

This is my first tablet, does what I expect of it, which is not a lot. On the other hand my Oppo mobile is out to 30 months now and still going strong - longest I've had the same mobile since the analogue days.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Rybags said:

interesting surmise

i have nexus 7 tablets, both the 2012 original, and the 2013 reboot

and a sony xperia xp as my backup phone (my daily driver is an lg nexus 5)

all are jailbroken and running android 8.1  (as lineage os 15.1) and work really well for my needs, which are more single app at a time rather than crazed multitasking

but as a phone, the phones are great, and as media conduits for neutron, the tablets rock as music players (one as the bedside > dac > phones, other via bluetooth to speaker in the pottery for the ms.), and do okay for basic surfing

hell, i still run a pair of asus transformer tf300t's from 2012 (running timduru's last iteration of katkiss, aka android 7.1.2) which is great for watching movies on a plane, and basic email and websurfing almost a decade later

this form a man who only recently jumped from a fully pimped i7 2600k (overclocked, natch) to a ryzen 3600 - after around 7 years of good use

so i might buy another tablet eventually, and mod the crap out of it

• Like 1
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

4 hours ago, fliptopia said:

Shoes are one of those things I just can't buy online for myself. Sizing is such a difficult game to play. 

I've had four pairs of shoes from Vibram in two different styles for about 8 years now.  I'm comfortable with the sizing reqs for each, assuming a particular batch isn't made slightly off tolerance.

The bigger problem is that almost no stores stock them in Australia - I think there's one in Sydney and one in Brisbane, and no-one left in Melbourne - and if they do, it's not every size for every style.  Even ignoring the fact going shoe shopping right now is probably quite difficult in-store.

But yeah, I'd prefer to try them on beforehand, too.