Lanzer

Post Your Latest Real Life Purchase!

McMansion is a large house on a small block similar to those around it.

Well that what it means to me...

I take it to mean the houses they build on Arrested Development. Looks big and fancy, but is dodgy as hell. So you can show off to your neighbours (who are doing the same thing).

I just preordered this:

Posted Image

Looking forward to this. May well be Vimes' last outing :(

An extract of "Snuff" was read by Terry's right-hand man, Rob, at his talk in Melbourne earlier in the year.

Sounds like it'll be another great Discworld tale!

Haven't bought yet, but I've just sent an email asking for a quote to purchase one of these:

Posted Image

Largely because I've been using this on the bike, which although good for what it does, is a heavy lump of a radio.

Update: Purchased it today ... turns out someone had bought one thinking it was a land mobile HF radio, so $1003 later, and one should be on its way from Hervey Bay tomorrow.

Edited by Redhatter

Hmm, the defintion of McMansion seems to have changed since last I checked in. It used to mean overly large building, out of place in it's street, with rediculous trimmings to try and make it look fancy. My place is basically a simply designed rectangle, no trimmings, matches exactly with the houses around it. I suppose McMansion has just come to mean "3 or 4 bedrooms on a small block".

To me McMansion meant large looks-expensive but no-terribly-well-built cookie-cutter houses.

Nothing in that picture indicates that to me, in fact it looks like the beginning of a nice home.

Just out of curiosity, is it too personal a question to ask about the square footage (or meterage?) of the home?

Oh, it totally fits that definition. Except maybe the "looks expensive" thing. It looks new, but completely cookie-cutter to me. 'cause it is. Partly 'cause it's a new area being developed, and they've got very specific rules about what you can do and partly because I don't know shit all about architecture. It's crammed into the block which is around 300sqm. About 210sqm of living space, plus garage. 4 bedroom. Basically there's no room for a garden. 90% of the rest of the block will have to be paved simply 'cause thins strips of grass just aren't practical, especially around the air con and hot water systems around the edge of the house. I'm making sure there's a strip of garden for herbs and veges, but that'll only amount to around 5sqm. I'll probably throw in a couple of big potted trees. Maybe a lemon one, that'd be nice. But possibly impractical.

It should be a good place to cook pork to annoy my neighbours. Gonna have a good BBQ & bar fridge set up. Might even put in a cocktail bar... nah, that's a pipe dream. Going to put in cheap carpeting and lino flooring for now - I'll be renting out 3 rooms, probably to students considering the location, so a cheap fit out to start with. Imma have a cat run round one side of the building for ma kittehs.

Hopefully the house market won't completely tank. That'd be nice. But I guess it'd a long term investment so that doesn't matter too much. But still.

Partly 'cause it's a new area being developed, and they've got very specific rules about what you can do

I hate this crap. You spend a massive chunk of money that you'll be spending decades paying off, and whinge, you've got to have a certain percentage of your bricks rendered. Fuck that; your land, your decision.

New IKEA Billy bookshelf and Benno DVD stand. Previous layout looked like this.

Now:

Posted Image

The two DVD stands that were in the study, have had an extra stand added and moved into the bedroom (Kinky!)

Also, an additional close up of my comic tradepaperback/hardcover collection, which has been growing at an insane rate:

Posted Image

Picked up some new R.M. Williams boots yesterday for the birthday. Came with "Free" Rugby shirt. score!

Actually I think it was someone in this thread that motivated me to consider these boots :)

Hmm, the defintion of McMansion seems to have changed since last I checked in. It used to mean overly large building, out of place in it's street, with rediculous trimmings to try and make it look fancy. My place is basically a simply designed rectangle, no trimmings, matches exactly with the houses around it. I suppose McMansion has just come to mean "3 or 4 bedrooms on a small block".

Nah I'd still go with the over-the-top front facade, cheap fittings, 300sqm house on 400sqm block, with a hundred houses equally unappealing all around, with barely a tree in sight. similar to this Edited by kikz

Mechanical Keyboard, the Razer Black Widow.

$75 bux!

Best thing since sliced bread, LOUD AS HELL

Posted Image

DEVIN TOWNSEND - Unplugged CD limited edition

- acoustic CD recorded July 2011

- recorded as a limited edition for UK acoustic shows

- Full album of just Devin and guitar, unknown if it will be reprinted

- Cardboard sleeve

- New CD

- If you want your copy signed, please add $2 to the shipping cost and indicate in comments section

Track listing: Coast, Terminal, Funeral, Fall, Saloon, Lady Helen, Radial Highway, Kawaii, Ih-Ah!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...=STRK:MESELX:IT

I dunno Tantryl, but i like it, specially the big ass garage :)

ManCave

Please stop bolding my man cave.

Picked up some new R.M. Williams boots yesterday for the birthday. Came with "Free" Rugby shirt. score!

Actually I think it was someone in this thread that motivated me to consider these boots :)

That'd be me, I believe :) I got a free rugby/jumper thing with mine too! Pretty sweet, I reckon. They need two conditions before the boots are at their best, I did mine about a week apart - first one on the day I bought them. Just now settling in and getting even more comfortable than they were when I first got 'em!

What style did you wind up getting?

Mechanical Keyboard, the Razer Black Widow. $75 bux! Best thing since sliced bread, LOUD AS HELL

Holy poop! Where'd you get it for that price??

I just bought a shiny new bag that hopefully won't break as spectacularly as the last (albeit much cheaper) bag I bought.

And a 3.5mm to 2x RCA adapter from DX, because these sorts of useful things seem to evaporate once they leave my sight.

Plane tickets to Perth for my Dad's 70th birthday party on fathers day weekend - looking forward to that :)

Posted Image

Written by GRANT MORRISON; Art and cover by FRANK QUITELY

For the first time in hardcover, a powerful tale from the ALL-STAR SUPERMAN team of Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely!

Morrison and Quitely deliver the emotional journey of WE3 – three house pets weaponized for combat by the government – as they search for "home" and ward off the shadowy agency that created them.

With nervous systems amplified to match their terrifying exoskeletons, the members of Animal Weapon 3 (WE3) have the firepower of a battalion. But as prototypes, they're slated to be permanently "decommissioned" after their testing is complete, causing them to make a desperate run for freedom. Relentlessly pursued by their makers, WE3 must navigate a frightening world where their heightened abilities make them as much a threat as those hunting them – but a world in which they must find a home.

Along with a new cover illustration, WE3: THE DELUXE EDITION features 10 completely new story pages from the Eisner Award-winning of Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely integrated into the narrative, plus a 28-page bonus section featuring a wealth of character designs and sketches from Quitely, with commentary and script excerpts from Morrison.

Cold Steel "Skean Dhu" covert tactical combat knife, in a non-metallic, fibreglass-reinforced plastic. Can be worn in a tie, under a watchband, or inside a belt at the flat of the back...

Posted Image

Edited by Antraman

Cold Steel "Skean Dhu" covert tactical combat knife, in a non-metallic, fibreglass-reinforced plastic. Can be worn in a tie, under a watchband, or inside a belt at the flat of the back...

Posted Image

What are you afraid of?

Posted Image

Are you a terrorist?