Lanzer

Post Your Latest Real Life Purchase!

I teach knife defense as part of my martial arts training and I am happy to answer questions to anyone who wants to join in and learn.

In answer to your comment about Robzy's point, no...you don't know much about them until you hold one in your hand, try hiding it in your tie or in your belt...or try cutting the back of your wrist with it to see how effective it really is.

If I went up to you as my security supervisor and said, "mate we got a problem, this guy here has one of them plastic knives" you would look at me and laugh in my face, but when I showed one to you, you would be surprised, realise the danger and act on it appropriately.

This is not rocket surgery...

This is what pedo-police say when they get caught.

Just sayin'.

you're*

Rob.

Now how's he s'posed to learn if you step in for him, eh? ;P

Haven't seen you about for quite a while. Doing ok?

I've just done a serious PC upgrade.

OCZ vertex2 60GB SSD has just replaced a ~8 year old seagate 80GB IDE

Antec TruePower TP-750 750W replaces a generic no-brand 350W PSU that was murdering components

HIS Radeon HD6950 2GB IceQ replaces a HIS HD4670

Completely reformatted the computer at the same time. Yesterday my computer took 7 minutes to boot, now it takes 45 seconds :3

Antec TruePower TP-750 750W replaces a generic no-brand 350W PSU that was murdering components

Completely reformatted the computer at the same time. Yesterday my computer took 7 minutes to boot, now it takes 45 seconds :3

yep, an ssd is epiphany in storage and boot time

have you managed to configure ahci mode and have you tweaked the settings to make all the unnecessary stuff (like your temp files) default to another drive ?

yep, an ssd is epiphany in storage and boot time

have you managed to configure ahci mode and have you tweaked the settings to make all the unnecessary stuff (like your temp files) default to another drive ?

I've run a tool to configure all that for me, allegedly, although feel free to tell me how to manually rediect my temp files so I can check.

I've turned off the automatic defragging as well. Sadly, my motherboard does not support ahci, because it is terrible.

although feel free to tell me how to manually rediect my temp files so I can check.

Control Panel >system> advanced system settings > environment variables.

There are 4 settings you can change.

In user variables for "logon name"

double click each of the tmp and temp entries and change %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp in the variable value field to a new path . EG

D:\TEMP

Create the folder on the appropriate drive first.

Under System variables change the TEMP and TMP from C:\Windows\TEMP to D:\WINTEMP or something (do not use the same folder as the %USERPROFILE% one)

Again best to manually create the folder on the appropriate drive first.

Oh and do not change the variable name field.

And make sure they are not on a drive you can hotswap or easily remove, otherwise things will go pear shaped when the drive is removed.

:-)

I would also make the folders hidden so you normally don't see them in windows explorer.

you're*

Rob.

Now how's he s'posed to learn if you step in for him, eh? ;P
For the record, I was well aware of the mistake :P It was my attempt to troll.

Rob.

For the record, I was well aware of the mistake :P It was my attempt to troll.

Given that I responded to it: mission accomplished!

Consider your noogie accompanied by a wedgie as well.

although feel free to tell me how to manually rediect my temp files so I can check.

Control Panel >system> advanced system settings > environment variables.

There are 4 settings you can change.

In user variables for "logon name"

double click each of the tmp and temp entries and change %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp in the variable value field to a new path . EG

D:\TEMP

Create the folder on the appropriate drive first.

Under System variables change the TEMP and TMP from C:\Windows\TEMP to D:\WINTEMP or something (do not use the same folder as the %USERPROFILE% one)

Again best to manually create the folder on the appropriate drive first.

Oh and do not change the variable name field.

And make sure they are not on a drive you can hotswap or easily remove, otherwise things will go pear shaped when the drive is removed.

:-)

I would also make the folders hidden so you normally don't see them in windows explorer.

Sweet, thats done then. (also, I do not approve of folders hiding from me, I always have hidden files and folders on).

So, in the list of things ive done manually:

1. turned off defrag

2. moved the temp folders

3. moved the pagefile

4. disabled hibernation and removed the hibernation file

anything missing?

Why so many seperate Helsing Ultimate DVDs? There's only like 7 eps total, why can't the amalgamate them? Japan is even worse than England for splitting up things needlessly. I only have so many shelves!

Also, that shit is available on blu-ray, I have 1080p rips that look awesome. Might buy them one day.

Edited by Harmonic Cacophony

They were very cheap. Like me. :p

And I've not bothered to get a blue-ray player as yet. Too bust buying books and dvds. :p

Guest MrInsaneBuff

Out with the old

Posted Image and in with the new Posted Image

Posted Image

That has to be the smallest garage.......... In the world!

Nice new addition though.

It is a bastard to put in there especially as the wing mirrors are bigger. I have to aim the nearside of the car at the wall and turn back at the last moment.

Believe it or not my garage is actually around 10 inches wider than the average around here. A lot of people have to fold in their wing mirrors and PUSH the car into the garage.

Edited by Outcast_Aussie

Guest MrInsaneBuff

Thats what i dont get about the UK, everything is pokey and small. They have the space to build bigger but they dont. Im not talking McMansion big either. Just comfortable rather than cramped.

Nope

Nope

he needs a motorbike really

Thats what i dont get about the UK, everything is pokey and small. They have the space to build bigger but they dont. Im not talking McMansion big either. Just comfortable rather than cramped.

I'd have thought the real question would be, why should a garage be larger than it needs to be?

I'd have thought the real question would be, why should a garage be larger than it needs to be?

How big does a garage have to be?

My answer: About 6 cars plus room for a hoist and separate work areas.

'

How big does a garage have to be?

My answer: About 6 cars plus room for a hoist and separate work areas.

'

thats a mechanic's garage..:P

your photo appears to be that of a male

are you trolling ?

that's like asking why women need more than one set of dress shoes

your photo appears to be that of a male

are you trolling ?

that's like asking why women need more than one set of dress shoes

Zero-sum. What are you going to sacrifice to have a bigger garage? The friends I've stayed with in the UK don't exactly have big residences; certainly smaller than a lot of places my friends rent/own in Australia.

Not to mention, bigger garages encourage bigger, more wasteful cars.

I hope everyone is saying 'garage' how the English say it.

Zero-sum. What are you going to sacrifice to have a bigger garage? The friends I've stayed with in the UK don't exactly have big residences; certainly smaller than a lot of places my friends rent/own in Australia.

Not to mention, bigger garages encourage bigger, more wasteful cars.

I hope everyone is saying 'garage' how the English say it.

i don't actually have a garage

my off-street parking for the vtr250 is on my front porch, under the bullnose overhang to keep it out of the rain - after i jump it up the gutter through the 600mm gate that's our only access

if i had a garage it would be full of all my boy's toys (model aeroplanes, boogie boards, the lawnmower, and detritus that my cupboard space is having trouble accommodating)