nobody813

Microsoft Releases Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 and Windows 2008 R2

Sorry dude, I have Realtek stuff as well. As you noted with yours, it's all working well.

Killed my computer. Installed using Windows Update, computer rebooted, started copying files (white text on black screen), failed on a file around 131000 with a fatal error.

Rebooting results in exactly same error at same point, No System restore capability (no idea why, I have system restore and recoverypoints on), Last known good boot failed, safe mode failed.

Managed to back up most of my stuff using a live Linux session, and a full Windows reinstall is underway.

Well, it seems that SP1 is working very well on my laptop. However, the desktop with the AMD had a bit of trouble installing. But managed to get it done. :)

Due to SP1 enabling the AVX instruction set my overclock is now unstable lol. Nice SP though, no problems apart from the overclocking side of things.

I've noticed that my average FPS in Handbrake jhas gone up :)

Probably wasn't stable in the first place.

Due to SP1 enabling the AVX instruction set my overclock is now unstable lol. Nice SP though, no problems apart from the overclocking side of things.

It was 100% stable. Prime 95 and LinX both running over night for 9 hours without any faults.

When i reran LinX with AVX enabled in SP1 it faulted pretty quickly. Considering the Gflops went from 55 to 100+ i think it's safe to presume that the OS is now utilizing the CPUs full potential. So i'd say the added load on the chip forces some more Vcore.

It's been well known since people started downloading SP1 when it was released at softpedia and other sites early this year. Overclock.net and Xtrememsystems have ample examples of people going to to pre-service pack Windows 7 to keep lower Vcores on their overclocks. You just need to scan through all those LinX/Intel Burn Test/Prime95 4.5/5Ghz stable threads.

But the Vcore bump needed isn't much. Only 2 or 3 clicks and it's stable again.

Edited by smakme7757

Installed via windows update this morning (Windows 7 x64 Ultimate). All went fine. Can't see any difference.

Looks like I will be setting up a test unit before installing it on my server.

Has anyone had any issues with Hyper-V after the update?

I've done two Hyper-V hosts, and about 8 guests, no issues, but it takes a hell of a long time to install (several hours). Our VM hosts are fairly old though.

To get Dynamic Memory working, both the host and the guests need to be updated. Once you've updated the host, be sure to update the integration drivers on the guest and do another restart for the Dynamic Memory goodness :D

Killed my computer. Installed using Windows Update, computer rebooted, started copying files (white text on black screen), failed on a file around 131000 with a fatal error.

Rebooting results in exactly same error at same point, No System restore capability (no idea why, I have system restore and recoverypoints on), Last known good boot failed, safe mode failed.

Managed to back up most of my stuff using a live Linux session, and a full Windows reinstall is underway.

I put it down to computers just hating you :P

I put it down to computers just hating you :P

No suprise there....

The service pack installed on my 2008 R2 server and my Win 7 HTPC fine. Think maybe there was some sort of underlying registry corruption on my main machine...

Oh well, lessons learnt...

Looks like I will be setting up a test unit before installing it on my server.

Has anyone had any issues with Hyper-V after the update?

I've done two Hyper-V hosts, and about 8 guests, no issues, but it takes a hell of a long time to install (several hours). Our VM hosts are fairly old though.

To get Dynamic Memory working, both the host and the guests need to be updated. Once you've updated the host, be sure to update the integration drivers on the guest and do another restart for the Dynamic Memory goodness :D

Thanks for the tips!

Mines a brand new server, with 3 Hyper-V guests, that I haven't deployed yet. So not too concerned if it doesn't go as planned.

I'll play around with the SP within the next few weeks.

Did you see any performance enhancements for your VMs?

anyone else with a creative xifi encounter any issues?

Got a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme and no problems with me, running the XFXA_PCDRV_LB_1_04_0090 drivers (1.4.90). Do not have any of the other Creative crap installed just the drivers and Audio Control Panel.

Think maybe there was some sort of underlying registry corruption on my main machine...

Oh well, lessons learnt...

Possibly a bad sector or two on the HDD as that seems to be the most common cause of unreadable files in my experience. A lot of hard drives seem to have one or two bad sectors from new these days, but the bad sectors do not seem to increase over time so I put it down to manufacturing defects. It is one reason I now always try to do full formats on new hard drives.

It was 100% stable. Prime 95 and LinX both running over night for 9 hours without any faults.

When i reran LinX with AVX enabled in SP1 it faulted pretty quickly. Considering the Gflops went from 55 to 100+ i think it's safe to presume that the OS is now utilizing the CPUs full potential. So i'd say the added load on the chip forces some more Vcore.

It's been well known since people started downloading SP1 when it was released at softpedia and other sites early this year. Overclock.net and Xtrememsystems have ample examples of people going to to pre-service pack Windows 7 to keep lower Vcores on their overclocks. You just need to scan through all those LinX/Intel Burn Test/Prime95 4.5/5Ghz stable threads.

But the Vcore bump needed isn't much. Only 2 or 3 clicks and it's stable again.

Me and some of the boys on AMDZone foresaw this happening.

Instead of making a proper 256-bit floating point unit. Intel double pumped (overclocked) a 128-bit FPU to do 2x 128-bit instructions and add them, in the same time to do 1x 256-bit from a proper 256-bit unit without the cost to die space. Immediately I thought of overclockers getting reduced headroom because of this.

AMD just put in 2x 128-bit FPU's and built cores around them.

Who's looking out for the enthusiast now?

I installed it

No difference

I had previously installed the AVX instruction set, though my CPU don't support it

I installed it

No difference

Same, was only 73mb because i keep uptodate, (Win7 Ultimate x64)

Just in case it borked me, I had taken a DriveXML backup of Windows Drive

Edited by gunny

I've used SP1 on three computers. OK, two were fresh clean installs so they don't count but on my W7 PC ... no real difference.

Just upgraded my Citrix XenAPp 6 servers to 2008 R2 SP1. No probs... amazing.

Only issue I had was LDAP binds from servers no longer worked on SP1'd 2008 R2 DCs if the bind username had reversible account encryption set in AD.