Sign in to follow this  
leonhart83

USB External HDD Problems.

Hi guys,

I just recently bought a Seagate 2tb USB 2.0 external from officeworks for $117 and I plug it into my machine (see specs below). I also have 2x 1tb Seagate 2.0 USB externals connected as well (3 drives total). Since connecting the 2tb to my pc it seems to drop out and in within about 30 minutes. It does this constantly almost without fail. I have also notice (not sure whether it was always happening or just started) that one of the 1tb drives drops out at the same time as the 2tb. When it drops and and back in again it shows the usual autoplay message as if you had just plugged it in fresh.

The only thing I can think of is that there is too much draw on the USB controller (although these drives are not active during this i.e Tx or Rx) so I switched the 2tb to the front USB and still had the same problem (not sure whether this on the same controller). The other thought is that all these hard drives have their own power supply none should be drawing any power from the system.

I have a 2x USB 2.0 card that can be added to the motherboard that I am going to install this afternoon and hopefully just have the 2tb connected via this. Hopefully this will fix my issue if it is a issue of too many HDD's connected to 1 controller.

At first I thought that it might just be a faulty 2tb drive until I notice that the 1tb drive is doing the same. All three drives are relatively new (3months, 2 weeks, 1 day) .

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Computer:

i5 760 @3.6ghz

8gb corsair 1600

1tb Samsung internal

Corsair 450w

ati 4890

could be them going into some kind of sleep state then coming back online?

I agree. I have disable the option "turn off disable to save power" under USB Root Hub (I have about 8 or so listed in the device manager for some reason). But this did not fix the issue. I don't know whether it is some internally configured "sleep mode" or whether it can be disabled. The reason I am doubtful of this is before I started using the 2tb drive the 1tb that seems to be affected "some" of the time, didn't have any issue beforehand.

I will investigate this though as I really would like to know whether I should be returning the HDD or whether it is an issue with my PC.

Thanks,

Micky.

Make sure you you check the option under your power plan to put hard drives to sleep, I think they are set to do so by default after 20 minutes of inactivity (on the 'Balanced' plan). I had an external on a new system doing this just the other day...

I've had a similar thing happen to me just starting today. Brand new drive (Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1TB in a Shintaro USB 3.0 enclosure), brand new system. I've only been using the drive for about a week. The drive just keeps disconnecting and reconnecting at random intervals. All powersaving options are disabled (and they would have done something earlier, I'm sure). One site I found searching the internet for a solution recommended disabling the USB Legacy Function in the BIOS, but then I suspect my keyboard (G15) won't function during startup, so I've left that alone for now.

Edited by vindik8or

Not nessarily the same problem but if you have 2 identical drives (same make and model) you can get a ID Conflict, and have to make the drive "ONLINE" in Disk Management. And OFFLINE disk will not assign a drive letter.

Once it does down Right Mouse on "COMPUTER" pick Manage and then Storage, Disk Management and check the state of the drives there.

I have a 2x USB 2.0 card that can be added to the motherboard that I am going to install this afternoon and hopefully just have the 2tb connected via this. Hopefully this will fix my issue if it is a issue of too many HDD's connected to 1 controller.

The expansion slot USB plugs into the same thing as the front panel USB.

The expansion slot USB plugs into the same thing as the front panel USB.

He says card nukey, so it is a PCI or PCI-E USB card like

Posted Image so no not the same as the FP USB ports.

So has it's own USB controller onboard.