BedeM

Why can't I print my Word document?

Sigh!

Just had my one of my relatives come over to use my color printer.

I insert the USB key to view the documents and find they're in .docx format. I don't have MS Office on any of my PCs. Sigh!

Okay, so I open the first one in Open Office Writer. The gifs are mixed up together with the formatting. Sigh!

I rejig the formatting of the document and get it in an acceptable format. Meanwhile she's complaining that she's never had this sort of trouble on ANY PC she has used at home or at schools or TAFE.

I explain that most of the schools/Tafe's have access to free or very reduced cost copies of MS Office. I don't need MS Office, so I use OpenOffice which is free and open software.

I print the first document and open the second. It's got even more gifs in it and she's used the drawing function to make more. These did not translate. Sigh!

Impatient, she takes the one printed document and her USB key and leaves in a huff claiming that every other PC on the planet can read Word documents.

Once again I explain that not every PC has MS Office (at ~$200 a copy) loaded but she's not listening and drives off. Sigh!

Now I have to go through the same explanation to my wife why I couldn't open and print the documents. Sigh!

End rant.

BedeM

Well pretty much every pc in the world does have Office installed.

But the question is why doesn't she have a colour printer?

Well pretty much every pc in the world does have Office installed.

But the question is why doesn't she have a colour printer?

Well I have plenty of PCs at my place (most with Windows installed) and none have MS Office installed. And I've seen plenty of PCs here on the Gold Coast without it too.

As for the printer, apparently there's some problem with ink cartridges.

BedeM

That is one issue I have with OO<->Office opening, the formatting is fucked.

Tell her to stop bitching, you are putting your time in to help her. She probably could have saved her time and your patience buying a cheap arse printer!

This is where you explain the benefits of open standards, versus proprietary standards that people have to guess about.

If you don't tell anyone how "Word documents" are parsed, you can't expect everyone to get it right.

Simple solution, get her to save the document as a PDF before coming over, print away.

This is where you explain the benefits of open standards, versus proprietary standards that people have to guess about.

If you don't tell anyone how "Word documents" are parsed, you can't expect everyone to get it right.

Unfortunately most people just don't care (until it bites them in the arse).

I have OpenOffice on my Windows home laptop (the faster one, not the old one) and it opens most Word documents fine although sometimes it throws fits and complains sometimes.

Simple solution, get her to save the document as a PDF before coming over, print away.

I don't think Word saves to PDF does it?

I don't think Word saves to PDF does it?

2007/2010 does.

OpenOffice is a terrible piece of software, so I don't blame people for not using open standards. Built it (properly), and they will come.

2007/2010 does.

OpenOffice is a terrible piece of software, so I don't blame people for not using open standards. Built it (properly), and they will come.

I have used open office for about 5 years now. I can't use word, its infuriating. The interface for the new versions of office is foul. Nothing goes where it makes sense for it to go, and it does things without asking me that I then have to undo.

On the flip-side, with OOo I have never been in the situation of wanting to do something and being unable to do it.

I consider MSO to be the terrible piece of software. I have been refusing pirated versions from my friends for years, I refused the near-to-free version they were selling at uni last year, I wouldn't touch Microsoft office with a 10 foot pole.

Realistically, the situation is whatever you are used to. I personally suspect one of the reasons microsoft changed their interface so radically two versions ago was because they were worried about open source opposition, and wanted their userbase in a situation where it would take a lot of effort to learn to use OOo.

The reason I dislike OO is because it lags and crashes on a perfectly capable machines. Not a fan of the UI either, but that's another story.

I have never had OOo crash. Not once in 5 years, that I can remember. What part of OOo were you using, and how long ago was it (version number in particular would be nice)?

About a week ago, not sure about version number, but I'll assume the latest considering Ubuntu updates regularly. Basically, if you leave it idle for a while then come back to it, it lags like fuck, hangs for a few seconds at a time, and acts generally erratic. I decided to use AbiWord instead, but its quite limited.

Ah, well I can't speak for ubuntu. I'm referring to the windows version. Obvious question is obvious though: ubuntu is set to update to the stable versions, not the betas, right?

I've had no problems with OpenOffice.

stuartl@beast ~ $ emerge -pv openoffice
 * The FEATURES=digest setting can prevent corruption from being noticed.
 * The `repoman manifest` command is the preferred way to generate
 * manifests and it is capable of doing an entire repository or category at
 * once.

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] app-office/openoffice-3.2.1-r1  USE="cups dbus gstreamer gtk java kde ldap nsplugin* opengl pam (-aqua) -bash-completion -binfilter -debug -eds -gnome (-kdeenablefinal) -odk -templates" LINGUAS="en en_GB -af -ar -as_IN -be_BY -bg -bn -br -brx -bs -ca -cs -cy -da -de -dgo -dz -el -en_US -en_ZA -eo -es -et -eu -fa -fi -fr -ga -gl -gu -he -hi_IN -hr -hu -id -it -ja -ka -kk -km -kn_IN -ko -kok -ks -ku -lt -mai -mk -ml_IN -mn -mni -mr_IN -nb -ne -nl -nn -nr -ns -oc -or_IN -pa_IN -pl -pt -pt_BR -ru -rw -sa_IN -sat -sd -sh -sk -sl -sr -ss -st -sv -sw_TZ -ta -ta_IN -te_IN -tg -th -ti_ER -tn -tr -ts -uk -ur_IN -uz -ve -vi -xh -zh_CN -zh_TW -zu" 0 kB														

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB

I sometimes leave OpenOffice open for days. I have more problems with wxWidgets and xulrunner-based applications lagging up after the machine has come out of sleep mode. My workaround thus far has been to log out of X and log back in again.

Edited by Redhatter

Yup, OpenOffice / LibreOffice has really crap compatibility with Microsoft Office OpenXML files (not too sure about the older .doc, .xls files).

If you create a basic document from the default.docx template, yeah, OOo / LO can read it, and you don't lose too much. If you have custom styles, tables, graphics and fields, then you're in for a world of frustration.

OpenOffice might be capable of editing your basic uni assignment, but it's far from ready for the average corporate document if compatibility with Microsoft Office needs to be retained.

*edit* I saw Dick Smith advertising Office Home and Student for $99 if you purchased a PC too - that doesn't strike me as an unreasonable amount to pay, and if it were available for Linux, I would gladly be using it!

Edited by wilsontc

Yeah, on the standards front, there are people already getting bitten by Office "Open"XML.

In that, there are a lot of people who run sufficiently old releases of Microsoft Office sans plugin to read such files. In this establishment, the newest copy of Microsoft Office, is Office XP. I think we've installed the plugin for newer formats, but I can't recall.

In any case, you give me such grief as to send me a .docx file, I'll return the favour with a .odt.

The newer versions of OO haven't had any problems opening the docx format for me. Though there are few images in the documents I get from Uni (usually just the cover page of a booklet - if there are any images at all). Thank goodness for the OO guys working docx out - I was at a disadvantage having to convert the docx files at uni, or using some weird web docx to doc converter early last year. Maybe try that next time.

I also discovered how to set office to automatically save as Word XP which saves me getting to uni and not being able to print out or edit the document =/. All rather frustrating, but hardly Open Office's fault (in fact this one's soley my bad - I could have been doing this ages ago / remembering to 'save as').

_____

I don't think people should be saying Open Office is bad because it doesn't play nice with Microsoft Office. Afterall MS has designed it that way, not the OO crew, and it's hardly OO fault that MS has, and is holding onto, its market share. I don't see why OO isn't ready to work for most small businesses either. Is it the lack of group edits or something? It's a powerful word processor, with mail merge (necessary for office workers), and the ability to create templates. What more do businesses need?

Of course my answer in this case would have been along the lines of:

"Well, it seems these things I have here mustn't be computers as they couldn't read your secretly coded document, you better go find one of these 'computers' then."

In any case, you give me such grief as to send me a .docx file, I'll return the favour with a .odt.

I'd love to see you work in a business environment. That sort of attitude would get you laughed out of a job.

I don't see why OO isn't ready to work for most small businesses either. Is it the lack of group edits or something? It's a powerful word processor, with mail merge (necessary for office workers), and the ability to create templates. What more do businesses need?

• Compatibility with the most popular office suite (MS Office)
  • Integration with document management systems (SharePoint and friends)
  • Group calendaring (Outlook)
  • Group editing (Office 2010 + SharePoint)
  • Easy-to-use image tools (Office 2010)
  • Rich form creation and management (InfoPath)
  • Shared mailboxes and contact lists (Exchange + Outlook)

There is probably more weight on the top three reasons than the others, and to be fair, email / "groupware" functionality is probably provided by other platforms, but Microsoft Office has excellent integration between the various programs in the suite, and this is improving with each release. I am not aware of any one open source solution that has complete feature parity with MS Office, but please enlighten me if this is the case (especially with point 1)

I'd love to see you work in a business environment. That sort of attitude would get you laughed out of a job.

I don't see why OO isn't ready to work for most small businesses either. Is it the lack of group edits or something? It's a powerful word processor, with mail merge (necessary for office workers), and the ability to create templates. What more do businesses need?

• Compatibility with the most popular office suite (MS Office)
  • Integration with document management systems (SharePoint and friends)
  • Group calendaring (Outlook)
  • Group editing (Office 2010 + SharePoint)
  • Easy-to-use image tools (Office 2010)
  • Rich form creation and management (InfoPath)
  • Shared mailboxes and contact lists (Exchange + Outlook)

There is probably more weight on the top three reasons than the others, and to be fair, email / "groupware" functionality is probably provided by other platforms, but Microsoft Office has excellent integration between the various programs in the suite, and this is improving with each release. I am not aware of any one open source solution that has complete feature parity with MS Office, but please enlighten me if this is the case (especially with point 1)

Most of your reasons only apply to large businesses. My mothers business runs on OpenOffice, I use it to interact with external entities as a contractor. You don't pick a product based on the number of features, you pick them for the features relevant to your need. For that reason OpenOffice will never be on feature parity with MS Office and doesn't need to be. Based on that value proposition it's hard to go past a free product that does everything I need.

Sharing document with others is easy. Use a PDF!

I'll bet it's the drawing function that messing things up.

Never had problems with .docx myself.

If I were you, I'd tell her that .docx is evil, and everyone else is fine because they save as .doc.