Pedro~

"far cry 2 fails to impress" says hard hitting local jurno

i wrote a quick and dirty far cry 2 synopsis based on my game time of around 4-5 hours. so far not impressed and from other sites i read many other people are not either.... fyi the two ?????? instances in the blog are left that way until i fire up the game to confirm EXACTLY the wording they use. but i think most people know what i mean. this will happen once i reboot my pc as i installed the new beta drivers. anyway... i'm trying hard.... to be normal....

at the end of the day, does anyone AGREE with my sentiments ?

I guess I agree with the strange amount of damage enemies can take. Especially from the high powered weapons. I dare say a tweak will come out for that.

Not sure I agree with you on the graphics. However I can see your point.

It's far from perfect, but overall I'm really enjoying this game. I don't mind the driving, because for me, exploration is half the fun.

I've played about 8-9 hours so far...

I agree with the mounted machine gun thing, i can take down a guy with 1 single shot, or a light burst from an AK, yet sometimes with the MMG i need constant fire for like two seconds, then they still get back up.

Diamonds are in no way as hard to find as you make them out to be.

Just go around in a 360 degree circle until the blinking light stops, then sprint at it.

When you're close you'll hear that odd noise the suitcases seem to make, and they're in VERY obvious places (once you're close), like on a roof, under a bridge, behind a rock, etc.

I'm a fast reader, so I've never had trouble with the disappearing text. Though I'm not sure why you'd need it, unless you're deaf.

Enemy aiming ability, and THEIR shotgun range is bullshit, not to mention their eagle-eyed snipers and RPG guys (WITH UNLIMITED FUCKING ROCKETS), not to mention it's frustrating how EVERYBODY shoots you on sight, outside of the main town. There should be a way to bribe checkpoints with diamonds or something. Sure, if I'm charging at them with an AK, go ahead, shoot me. But casually driving down the road on my way somewhere? Please... that's a broken game-mechanic if i say so myself.

As for the colors not being pleasing to you... um, as you said yourself - It's AFRICA.

I dare say it's not a very inviting place (I know I'd never want to go there, anyway).

The SecuROM complaint at the end is silly, considering you get an install back, if you uninstall the game correctly.

That's about all my thoughts on your little write-up. :P

So, another FPS, hyped pre-launch as The Best Game Ever, proves disappointingly same-same in lacklustre gameplay, storyline, quality control and enemy AI.

Gosh, what a surprise!

I think gaming media, while not the cause of this neverending Gaming Groundhog Day, could help us all out by being a little more sceptical about the pre-release tech demos, and a little more reluctant to jump on each month's passing bandwagon.

So, another FPS, hyped pre-launch as The Best Game Ever, proves disappointingly same-same in lacklustre gameplay, storyline, quality control and enemy AI.

Gosh, what a surprise!

I think gaming media (and I'm including you in this Atomic), while not the cause of this neverending Gaming Groundhog Day, could help us all out by being a little more sceptical about the pre-release tech demos, and a little more reluctant to jump on each month's passing bandwagon.

I really want these games to blow people away, but after so many dissapointments, i've pretty much lost hope for SP PC gaming.

It's part of the reason i've got a PS3 on hold this week - seems the more diverse, exciting & most importantly, fun games are charging onto that platform.

I've held onto UT2k4 & now UT3 (which is failing to draw online numbers) & will keep playing them, but as far as SP PC gaming goes, i've had enough of the let downs & will stop relying on it as my sole gaming platform before Christmas this year.

Yeah, FPS seems to have become mostly 'templatized'.

I remember when each month would bring imaginative new PC games which didn't even fit into genres.

Sure, some of them sucked. But many were very interesting and different.

Now it's all feels vanilla.

it was strange, i didn't hype myself up for this game only reading here and there but not overdoing it. read some reviews which said it wasn't too bad so i decided to buy it on release day.

and i also don't know if only playing the game for 30 or so mins is a fair indication of the game but i'm pretty much "meh".

i know alot of people say graphics are not the be all and end all of a game and i would certainly agree but i think it makes a good majority of what makes a game good and the graphics of FC2 doesn't really leave me speechless. its pretty bland, its like they had a palette of 10 colours and textures seem boring. I remember the first part of the game where you are in the car and the taxi driver is talking to you, looking around at the car textures and everything just didn't excite me and the ride seemed very boring.

so far i haven't played the game long enough to say whether or not i really dislike it but i will say that it hasn't grabbed me and pulled me in like many other games i've played, i'd even go as far as to say that crysis & crysis warhead are much better, even though i have only just started playing warhead.

well it seems no-one here has seen africa it is over all a bland enviroment but with little corners of colours which is what im seeing.

but i have to agree with REbirth and the whole check points deal having everyone shoot on sight does get anoying.

over all i never felt any hype about it sure it made geta 4870 x2 but i needed it any ways :).

i think the MMG's are that way becuse they have unlimited ammo but who knows, and why in this day and age do enemies still have unlimited ammo that really needs to be adressed by everyone making games today.

but the wepon jamming is very cool, and the weather is perfect and the fact that you can shoot the lights out (unlike CoD4 which every one says is the most realistic looking game ever, you ned to do on the stealth missions).

and why is there a pipe wrench icon that pops up to fix your car when you use a socket wrench i have know idea.

finaly why cant you turn up the voice audio and effects audio idependently i find that they talk really quitely.

over all it seems that game play seems rushed but they took the time to make look good.

in short: a not so great actor with all the makeup in the world on is till a not so great actor. :)

I like this one. He lets the dark side flow through him!

Also, it's "journo", as in "journalist". Unless you meant "Juno", but a movie can't really review a game, can it? :P

HL2 was the best FPS ever made and nothing will ever match it in my opinion so enough said, sounds like its just a carbon copy of everything else thats already been done.

My question is this,

Why do we need so many different threads about Farcry? I just looked in the console section and there are like 5 recent ones.

the con? what section ? because that's what those machines are. ripp-off con machines that steal people's money.

pc gaming is king. long live the king.

My question is this,

Why do we need so many different threads about Farcry? I just looked in the console section and there are like 5 recent ones.

the con? what section ? because that's what those machines are. ripp-off con machines that steal people's money.

oops, wrong word, I meant computer, but my question still stands.

I THINK THERE IS ONLY ONE GENERAL FAR CRY 2 THREAD...

the securom one was made after mine, and i made my own because i didn't want to be accused of hijacking the guys thread (the major one) and also because my thread is about pointing out that far cry 2 sux as opposed to the review conspiracy out there. by reading most major publication reviews you might get the impression that fc2 is the ballz. it's not!!! it's just another mindless fps that incorporates some pretty nice features and that's about it. as for the colour palette, that's just a HUGE letdown - africa or not..... and also africa has some "green" locations, especially after the seasonal rains....

Calm down dude, getting all worked up all over the forums I can see...

Yes Farcry 2 is an average game, No it doesnt really look like Africa cause there are no green things (even though I didnt see any rain in the game, which would help grow the plants), and no, i have not been stalked by a lion yet and I so wanted to be.

My question is this,

lolwut?

Calm down dude, getting all worked up all over the forums I can see...

don't tell me what to do or not to do, MATE. keep that for your parents!!!!

I didnt like Far Cry 2 personally so i gave it to my Bro. He thinks its prety good, but i have started playing dead space and that game it AWESOME!!

Why is everyone bitching about having to kill people at checkpoints? Just drive through!

its not the piont the piont it in a world where money talks and bullshit walks you dont have the option to bribe them that is all really

If you want crazy out there options DarkMatter, go play Real Life.

It's a fine line between "RPG" and "FPS".

Things like bribing guards... eh.. I"m going to say that's firmly in the realms of a RPG.

FPS = Shoot stuff till it's dead.

RPG = Move through a world, making a variety of different choices to further your character and the story.

Of course it doesn't help that the line between RPG and FPS seems to be blurring.

If you want crazy out there options DarkMatter, go play Real Life.

It's a fine line between "RPG" and "FPS".

Things like bribing guards... eh.. I"m going to say that's firmly in the realms of a RPG.

FPS = Shoot stuff till it's dead.

RPG = Move through a world, making a variety of different choices to further your character and the story.

Of course it doesn't help that the line between RPG and FPS seems to be blurring.

I think it helps a lot.

I hate RPG game play, slow not twitch enough.

I hate FPS lack of depth, you master it and are always left wanting for more.

FPS games have the best control system, it's immediate and you have to aim.

RPGs DONT.

Combining the two is a fantastic idea, STALKER tried and failed.

FARCRY 2 have nailed it. only they make you sick and slow and give you crappy weapons at the start. I think its the FPS way of giving you RPG stats to level up. time will tell I suppose.

My only complaint with FC2 is the unrealistic damage, If I have to drive everywhere, like in real life, I want 1 round headshot kills goddammit! realistic damge models would make this game so awesome my balls would fall off.

Hang on... too late, they already have..

The biggest problem with FC2 is its NOT FARCRY!!!! In the first FAR CRY we had a guy, who had a gun who shot people dead in a super awesome graphic engine for the time! It was all guns blazing awesome graphics and non stop action.

This game is not FAR CRY, it should have been called something else if it was called, African Safari we wouldnt even have said it was like far cry. I think it brings bad taste to what was an awesome game!! FPS!!

Again, this could have been a partnership between Ubisoft.... wait.

theres no Crytek intro video. theres an ubisoft one...

hang on.

Ubisoft and Crytek produce FarCry

EA and Crytek produce Crysis.

Ubisoft and some other dudes produced FarCry2...

theres no crytek employees working on Farcry2, just a name. it all makes a wierd bit of sense now.