Amiga4eva

Puff puff.

There is a topic here, somewhere... I swear!

Iv lost sight of it through the thick smokey haze emanating from this thread

I wasn't smoking for nearly as long as some in this thread, but I quit just over a month ago now and whilst I miss it when I walk by smokers and get a good whiff I'm not really tempted to take it back up.

I wasn't smoking for nearly as long as some in this thread, but I quit just over a month ago now and whilst I miss it when I walk by smokers and get a good whiff I'm not really tempted to take it back up.

Stick it out, dude. Before too long, that longing will turn to revulsion.

Congrats.. 3 weeks is usually the failure point.

You're getting close to the point when peoples cigarette smoke "gets up your nose".. ie: disgusts you. I've been off smokes for about 13 years now and both my wallet and myself feel better for it.

Shame about the waistline though !!

A lot of the habit of smoking is portrayed as addiction. In my opinion this is false. The habit is habit ITSELF. As pointed out previously, you can get over the addiction within hours but not the habit of holding a smoke itself.

To those still trying.. twiddle a pen between your fingers... chew on the end of it (not hard though). That's what I did to break my 40 a day (John Player blue) habit.

After a few months you start to realise just how badly cigarette smoke stinks. It permeates everything.

It was tough for a little while, but now I seem to be through the worst of it (I'm wagering a steady diet of coffee and Ibogaine is helping that along).

Wait.

Am I the only one who picked up on ibogaine?! >.>

Also, congrats. I'm not sure if that should be aimed at the 3 months, or the ibogaine >.>

My girlfriend hates it, she's even threatened me before with the whole 'I don't want to be with you if you're going to keep on smoking' thing before. Luckily we got through that. But she still hates it, yet it's still not enough for me to give them up just yet.

Think of all the extra money you can sink into guitars and concerts and MMOs (or start saving for when you do have kids! or maybe because you have a bit more respect for your gf) : p

I think Hulks found the best motivator. I always find it too amusing when smokers I know whine about how they can't go and do something because they have no money and how hard life is. The money saved is huge. It's huge even if the fact you'll be able to enjoy food and drink properly, which IMO is the biggest reason to quit.

My girlfriend hates it, she's even threatened me before with the whole 'I don't want to be with you if you're going to keep on smoking' thing before. Luckily we got through that. But she still hates it, yet it's still not enough for me to give them up just yet.

Think of all the extra money you can sink into guitars and concerts and MMOs (or start saving for when you do have kids! or maybe because you have a bit more respect for your gf) : p
You're too funny, Nich, too funny :P

:)

Congrats.

I just made the decision it's time. I quit cold turkey for 10 years whilst raising kids then had a big break-up and took the damned things up again.

Cold turkey is I think the only way, thing is they never used to knock me around, now they do.

Cheers

I know it's a bump, but I didn't want to start a new thread. In fact, I wanted to acknowledge this thread as being important in my decision to quit smoking. Which has been successful- over three months now, used the patches, off them now, all going well! Had smoked for 20 years; had basically assumed I was with them for life.

So yeah, thanks Amiga4eva- you were an important step along the way for me, showing it could be done :)

Nice work, stuub! Keep on it. You're passed the hardest part already, but I'm sure there's someone here close enough to you to act like a sponsor should you need one.

Jesus man, that's epic! So very epic.

I'm humbled to have been a pebble on the roadside of your journey to smoke-free success :) Keep it up! 7 months here and going strong :).

Thanks all :)

(Without wanting to jinx myself, it actually turned out to be easier than I could have dreamed! I'd tried to quit before, many times, but obviously this was the 'right' time...but yeah, I know I have to remain vigilant...)

Onwards and upwards!

Jesus man, that's epic! So very epic.

I'm humbled to have been a pebble on the roadside of your journey to smoke-free success :) Keep it up! 7 months here and going strong :).

Looks like you've put on some weight there big fella.

Hmm, I really need to quit smoking. This thread makes me want to do it. But I'm also starting a diet next week, wonder if I can do both at the same time.

Both at once might be hard...but still, achieving one or the other first would provide a massive springboard to doing the other...the confidence gained would be invaluable :)

Hmm, I really need to quit smoking. This thread makes me want to do it. But I'm also starting a diet next week, wonder if I can do both at the same time.

diets never work, you have to make a permanent lifestyle change, diets you lose maybe 5kg over ~3weeks then you put it back on cause people lack the willpower to say no to everything they love, I had that problem for the last 10 years until around the end of last year something just clicked and I wanted to change the way I did everything.

Heh, I agree, it would definitely be hard - I have tried it and I failed both times in both areas. If you're keen to go on a diet, do them separately.

I've set a date for my third GOOD attempt - 15th of July. Me and my best mate both have set this date to quit. In the past, when we've tried, we've always taken it back up the first night we go out for beers.

So this time, we're both taking the Friday 15th off work, taking 3 cases of beer, and a bunch of fishing gear up to the highland lakes, without cigarettes, and where we can't buy cigarettes.

We're going to drink, fish, and cook, and probably bush walk until Sunday afternoon. We figure if we can manage beers without smoking for a few nights in a row, we can do it every night we go out.

Keen as. :)

The missus has expressed some concern, thinking that I might end up driving with beer in my system to go and get smokes, but this is pretty bloody isolated, the nearest place to get smokes would be an easy hours drive away. Not going to happen.

Good thread and grats to all who have succeeded!

A big Internet High 5 to you sir!

Well done, I know how hard it is, as of Sept this year it would have been 8 years for me. I remember trying all the different types of options, patch's, gum pills etc.

The only thing that worked was going cold turkey and using self control.

Yep. I bought a dirty big TV, three kilos of almonds and took two weeks off work. Just laid down on the lounge, stuffed almonds into my face and watched The Godfather trilogy.

I'd tried over and over, but what worked was planning my attempt and lucking out on being in the right frame of mind when the time came.