LordBug

A tale from yesteryear - The Boy Who Stole Half-Life 2

I hope this hasn't been posted already, and if it has my sincere apologies.

Just came across the link on halflife2.net, and it's a very interesting read:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-...-life-2-article

At 6am on 7th May 2004, Axel Gembe awoke in the small German town of Schönau im Schwarzwald to find his bed surrounded by police officers. Automatic weapons were pointing at his head and the words "Get out of bed. Do not touch the keyboard" were ringing in his ears.

Gembe knew why they were there. But, bleary-eyed, he asked anyway.

"You are being charged with hacking into Valve Corporation's network, stealing the videogame Half-Life 2, leaking it onto the internet and causing damages in excess of $250 million," came the reply. "Get dressed."

I got a laugh from this:

I also regret having caused some universities financial harm by using them as speed tests for my malware.

Ahhh... the innocent bystanders.

I'm not to sure how accurate the start of the article is. From my understanding, the incomplete nature of the leak was due to Valve discovering the leak, just not fast enough, as was posted in I think IGN's "the story of Half Life 2", or maybe it was Gamespot.

they should of come dressed as the soilders which are in Half life 2 :P (forgot the name,havnt played in in a while,still dont own it on PC)

or gorden freeman..

cool story!

Haha, sweet, I always wondered what happened with that leak and if they ever caught the guy that did it!

Nice find!