Sign in to follow this  
mark84

[PC] Use tags, get free games!

I've done this before on these forums, but now seems like a good time to give away some more games for free to some lucky folk.

I have PC versions of Metro 2033 (via steam) and Altitude that I can give away.

UPDATE: Metro 2033 and Altitude are gone, but I also have Portal and Bioshock I can give away. So jump in if you'd like to win any.

What do you need to do to get one of these free pieces of awesome?

Well since the PC and Console sub forums have merged I'm still not seeing topics spring up with tags in them yet. When the merger was suggested most folk agreed but wanted tags so they could differentiate what platform the thread is for. So to win some fine loots you must create 3 appropriate threads with tags in the subject. Each of the 3 threads must also get 5 replies in them from other forum goers to be eligible.

First to reach 3 threads gets their pick of either games, the second to reach 5 gets the other.

My hope is this will encourage everyone into the habit of putting tags in subjects of new threads created here.

As a suggestion for consistency use tags like:

[All]

[PC]

[Mac]

[360]

[PS3]

[Wii]

[iPhone]

...etc

Double up if appropriate too etc. eg. [360][PS3]

So I don't have to check the entire sub forum, once your tagged thread has 5 posts in it from other people, post a link to it in this thread so I can track easily.

Get posting!

Edited by mark84

Why do we need to use seperate console tags? there never used to be a ps3, 360, wii etc. subforum, shouldn't console be enough?

Well since the PC and Console sub forums have merged I'm still not seeing topics spring up with tags in them yet.

You obviously haven't been looking too hard. Posted on the 25th Feb

You obviously presume too much, I had noticed it. Just wanted to convey the fact that basically the habit had not taken off yet. Poor wording on my part I guess.

I'll accept that link as your first thread.

Why do we need to use seperate console tags? there never used to be a ps3, 360, wii etc. subforum, shouldn't console be enough?

It's tags, my understanding of tags is that you can apply multiple tags to things. I'm not saying it has to be that way it was just a suggestion. Maybe [Console] will be more appropriate for games on 360,PS3&Wii?

Doesn't matter really, just want the tagging thing to kick off.

[PC]

[Console]

[Multiplatform] should be more than enough. Fair enough if its a PS3/360/wii/PC exclusive, but apart from the very few exclusives coming out, console/multiplat should be good enough.

Not that I have a problem with singular system tags, but when you get a full on multiplatform release, we're going to be seeing threads like

[PC][PS3][360][Wii][iPhone][Android]<Game name>

Well since the PC and Console sub forums have merged I'm still not seeing topics spring up with tags in them yet.

You obviously haven't been looking too hard. Posted on the 25th Feb

You obviously presume too much, I had noticed it. Just wanted to convey the fact that basically the habit had not taken off yet. Poor wording on my part I guess.

I'll accept that link as your first thread.

It wasn't clear that you'd spotted any. It hasn't been too long and many of the current threads are ones posted before the merger, so they won't have the tags.

That is indeed my first

My second one is the Serious Same 3 thread

The third is about You Don't Know Jack and how the PC version is inferior to the consoles

[PC]

[Console]

[Multiplatform] should be more than enough. Fair enough if its a PS3/360/wii/PC exclusive, but apart from the very few exclusives coming out, console/multiplat should be good enough.

Not that I have a problem with singular system tags, but when you get a full on multiplatform release, we're going to be seeing threads like

That's why I tagged my Serious Sam 3 thread with [PC][Console]

Thing is it's not even announced which consoles. For now I'll assume the 360 and PS3, which I abreviated to [Console]

I've always like [PSWii60] to denote PS3/X360/Wii. I even say it at work sometimes.

I'll keep it in mind. They were only definite on the PC version, so I went with that. Console was more of an afterthought.

[PC]

[Console]

That might be the better idea.

In that case I think [Multiplatform] would be a better tag. Less clutter imo.

I'd think [All] might be better, simply cause it's easier to type :P

@ morris & jdog - Both your third submissions haven't hit 5 replies from others yet. Post back here when they do or when you make an eligible thread.

so mark84? did i meet the reqirements for the competion?

You hardly ever make new threads and when you could win something you've spammed a whole bunch of new threads......

Maybe mark should have specified, 5 meaningful replies...

I think the tag thing is a great idea I don't have the time to filter through everything these days

[PC]

[CONSOLE]

[MULTI]

[ANDROID]

etc seem fine to me

I'm certain I've fulfilled the requirements with the 3 threads I linked above, and without resorting to spamming the forums or asking mods to rename my threads

we all make mistakes sometimes,morris

we have both done the requirements and now its up to him to decide.

Edited by jdog

You asked Mods to change thread names, which means you cheated, but if it puts you out of the running for winning a free game, then its just a mistake? Seriously grow up.

none of the links i posted were changed by the mods so it is still a vaild entry.

Edited by jdog

I think the tag thing is a great idea I don't have the time to filter through everything these days

[PC]

[CONSOLE]

[MULTI]

[ANDROID]

etc seem fine to me

+1

Yes

You hardly ever make new threads and when you could win something you've spammed a whole bunch of new threads......

Threads that you've participated in. So it can't be all bad.

I'm certain I've fulfilled the requirements with the 3 threads I linked above

You have.

we all make mistakes sometimes,morris

we have both done the requirements and now its up to him to decide.

Perhaps jdog will be more inclined to visit and participate in the gaming section more often now :)

Refs decision:

It's close, both of your third threads got 5 replies from others on the same day, so have to look at post times.

Unless I'm mistaken it seems nuke's post in jdogs thread has given jdog the win by just over an hour. Kind of ironic in light of what he posted...

Perhaps I should've beefed up the comp requirements a little, but it seems only two were vying for the prizes, so likely doesn't matter too much. I just hope this has encouraged everyone enough to get the tag thing started for good.

jdog - Unless there's evidence to the contrary, I'll PM you tonight re Metro 2033 prize.

morris - As you've indicated you wish to forgo receiving a prize I'll give you a choice. Either nominate someone who has also posted a tagged thread with 5+ posts from others in it, or let the comp continue and let the next person to achieve the requirements win the copy of Altitude. Let me know.

Unless I'm mistaken it seems nuke's post in jdogs thread has given jdog the win by just over an hour. Kind of ironic in light of what he posted...

Fuck yeah.

The 3 threads he entered with I don't have a problem with. It was the threads that were duplicates and the ones he cheated with that annoyed me. Good on him for winning, I sincerely hope he continues to post meaningful threads similar to the 3 he entered this comp with.

As I mentioned in my PM to you Mark84, I was not posting to win a prize.

I was posting to set a good example.

Let it run longer and give the game to the next person that posts 3 threads with 5 posts.

Thanks

Turns out I have Bioshock and Portal available via STEAM that I can give away too!

So I could hand those out as well to any others who wish to participate.