Gharphield

A gaming reality

I was just listening to a Podcast, and someone made a mention in regards to games, I'll quote if I may:

"we could actually be in real danger of someone creating a reality that's just better than our own".

Now it was just a conversation starter, but it actually made me think. This actually has a bit of truth to it. I'd say we're far from this mainly due to the fact that games can only be as immersive as a screen in front of you. We still don't have the ability to plug our conciusness into a computer program ... infact the next big push (maybe) in gaming appears to be 3D screens.

That aside, we see games like WoW be incredibly popular and addictive to many people. So I guess the question remains, could this actually happen within our lifetime?

-Gharph

I certainly hope so, I'd love to be playing a game of virtual pool and get hit in the back of the head by a virtual dart so that I could bash someone with my virtual pool cue.

I was just listening to a Podcast, and someone made a mention in regards to games, I'll quote if I may:

"we could actually be in real danger of someone creating a reality that's just better than our own".

Now it was just a conversation starter, but it actually made me think. This actually has a bit of truth to it. I'd say we're far from this mainly due to the fact that games can only be as immersive as a screen in front of you. We still don't have the ability to plug our conciusness into a computer program ... infact the next big push (maybe) in gaming appears to be 3D screens.

That aside, we see games like WoW be incredibly popular and addictive to many people. So I guess the question remains, could this actually happen within our lifetime?

-Gharph

Well "Better" is a subjective and ambiguous term, I am willing to bet you that already there are some people that enjoy the time they spend on wow more than their own life if that is your criteria for better then it's already happened.

On the other hand I am also willing to bet that no matter how good you make an in game environment that there will be people who don't like it and wont want to be in it.

Very interesting topic tho, I think that for this to happen the game world would have to be very fking large, too big for a team of people to make. The code would have to be procedural and the engine (through some sort of AI) generate its own content OR the individuals can generate their own content basically letting them be gods in their own game world, if it was completely immersive and you could "feel it" not just see and hear it would be fkin amazing.

Edited by Bundy

That is true, that better is ambiguous. But the rise of so called "game addiction", and actual deaths attributed to what could only be described as a rejection of reality, in favor of virtual reality, is a better reality "old news"?

That is true, that better is ambiguous. But the rise of so called "game addiction", and actual deaths attributed to what could only be described as a rejection of reality, in favor of virtual reality, is a better reality "old news"?

I would describe those scenarios as a "misinterpretation of reality" and I still maintain that the ability to confuse eating in wow with eating IRL is not a symptom of addiction, but a symptom of an as-yet undefined mental illness/deficiency.

what ever happened to virtual reality ?

i remember playing dactal nightmare about 17 years ago....spun me right out

why has'nt this technology been worked upon...

IMO i thought we would have already seen a virtual world\games considering dactal nightmare came out in ''91''

and even tho it was a shit to play the idea was there

ps , sounds like the podcasters just watched gamer

Edited by st8smn

I'd love for games to be more involved like if you were playing a shooter your only as fast as you can run or you have to aim and reload some sort of mock up gun but it would be cool.

Now it was just a conversation starter, but it actually made me think. This actually has a bit of truth to it.

how many people on this forum ?

how many people on every forum, posting 24/7 almost

i think the interwebz already trumps irl for lots of people (guilty here)

Now it was just a conversation starter, but it actually made me think. This actually has a bit of truth to it.

honestly, that statement made me cry a little inside.

----

I find the internet itself is, as it currenlty stands, no replacement for the activities done irl.

Anyway, personally, I think our reality is that we'll see fully immersive gaming in our lifetime. I mean fully immersive as you've described it Garphield. We will be so engrossed, so immersed in connected experience that for many people it will be come a place better than their reality. Perhaps a place like the VR in Caprica (tv show). Been thinking about immersive reality myself for a while now...

Edited by grazer

I think however the idea we can create another reality is flawed, anything we create is really just apart of the reality we already inhabit/recognise, a sub set of it as it exists only inside it. Therefore any gaming reality we create no matter how good can not be better than IRL because it is simply apart of IRL it just adds to IRL..

So the interwebs is apart of our reality not an alternate/better one.

I don't think a gaming reality could replace our own unless that gaming reality provided physical sustenance to the body, to keep it alive and functioning while not participating in the real life reality.

Our consciousness exists because we have a functioning, physical body, and that body draws nutrients and energy from the environment its lives in.

Reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend on a fishing trip a few years back. I don't remember all the details, but it went something like this:

Person A: "The lake looks nice in this light"

Person B: "Meh, the water effects in Oblivion are better"

Actually, A game can be modded to make all chicks hot and naked.. When I do this in reality its called call it 'sexual assault' /sigh

An alternate reality would require methods to change all (or most) of our five senses and how we perceive the environment through our senses. In that regard, I'm not sure if we will see it in our lifetime, but only because it is on my unfounded belief that perhaps the understanding of how these senses can be interacted with external hardware / software is not quite there.

An alternate reality would require methods to change all (or most) of our five senses and how we perceive the environment through our senses. In that regard, I'm not sure if we will see it in our lifetime, but only because it is on my unfounded belief that perhaps the understanding of how these senses can be interacted with external hardware / software is not quite there.

I'm sure LSD will be invovled :p Edited by grazer

I'm sure LSD will be invovled :p

Given that our 5 senses really just boil down to electrical impulses in the brain, I wouldn't be surprised if we see it sooner than you think.

If anything, I would think the future of "Virtual Worlds" would be more in line with the kind of technology we see in "Inception".

The idea of an artificially created, lucid dream state created by stimulating parts of the brain directly.

Something akin to this..

http://www.examiner.com/psychic-in-roanoke...eates-telepathy

Just like in 'Inception', I think there is a real danger of people losing themselves in the dream and not wanting to return.

Red Dwarf (The book) played with the idea in "Better than Life", with illegal software that was so much better than "real life" the user ended up wasting away and dying.

I don't think a gaming reality could replace our own unless that gaming reality provided physical sustenance to the body, to keep it alive and functioning while not participating in the real life reality.

Our consciousness exists because we have a functioning, physical body, and that body draws nutrients and energy from the environment its lives in.

This reminds me of a book I read about a guy who jumped to other worlds. He was trying to save one world which basically let the natives live whatever dream they wanted in a giant tube. The giant tube would automatically take care of the body while they dreamed. and the people didn't ever want to leave their tube.

Edited by Gubble

I certainly hope so, I'd love to be playing a game of virtual pool and get hit in the back of the head by a virtual dart so that I could bash someone with my virtual pool cue.

ahah!

Gaming definately can be an escape from 'reality'.

I mean, I know a few people who sit at home all day and night gaming.

I know of one person in particular who used gaming to 'get him off the streets'.

So I guess it can replace some things in life already :)

Edited by sgtsmithy