Sign in to follow this  
Master_Scythe

Wired networking PAINFULLY slow

All NIC's are set to autoneg. They all neg 100mbps (which is correct).

They're plugged into my router which has basically no rules on it whatsoever, so that shouldnt be the issue.

and playing a video, my 200MB file judders and occasionaly drops entirely. WTF!?

Ive uninstalled all antivirus and firewalls. Made sure all IP settings are correct (and tried changing them just for lols). Re-enabled every service i'd disabled that had ANYTHING to do with networking... umm...

Quite frankly i'm out of ideas. I also remember for a time the PC accessing said files, demanded that \\server\fileshare when launched from the RUN dialogue, was "An insecure website".

Im thinking a format may be in order...

nope.

Its all 640X480 XVID stuff. It is upscaling.

However, on the media PC: CPU, GPU, HDD, and Network are all only about 5% utilisation.

On the server, the CPU and Network are about 1% utilised.

Its kinda stupid. It just happened one day after my server crashed (it has never had a gateway entered, so its never been exposed to the net). Since then I've reinstalled drivers, checked settings, added slightly more volts to everything (all heat is fine), and its still acting up.

I'm about to format and install FreeNAS I think, so over this shit. Or even a spare version of XP Pro I have here. Server2003 is turning into a nightmare. I used to love it so!

Quite frankly i'm out of ideas. I also remember for a time the PC accessing said files, demanded that \\server\fileshare when launched from the RUN dialogue, was "An insecure website".

Re-install/upgrade/downgrade NIC driver?

Up-to-date BIOS?

Tried PCI NIC? (If this works, RMA the mobo)

Suddenly decreased performance with no other symptoms says to me that it's something at the NIC level. Run a tool to see if there is a high BER.

Edit: Just noticed your last post saying you'd reinstalled the drivers.

Edited by SquallStrife

Yeah faulty hardware would make sense considering its a gigabyte board I still had lying around. This one i thought was working, bit that'd make 12 mATX gigabyte boards in a row that are faulty.

Ive burnt an XBMC live CD to try in my HTPC to see which end of the chain the problem is on. Ive also started bidding on an Apple TV :D

Yeah about 7. None of them are cared for at all, but they go right back to an old 10mbps one. so I can try it.

at the moment i'm just reorganising the whole house, so once ive done that i'll try. Still gonna format though; server is being a royally unstable pain.

Get Wireshark, have a look at the error rates, post a trace if you like, I'll take a look, been doing it for years, sounds like high re-send rate, and that is usually NIC on wireless. But, be careful of wireless auto-neg, it always defaults to lowest stable speed, pain in the butt.

Cheers

but chrisg, none of that should affect wired should it?

I wonder if the cable is dodgy, i know one of them was. However its odd that all PC's can do everything else fine, its just between these two PC's that are having issues.

EDIT: Actually it may be worth noting I have netbios disabled across the whole network. THough I use direct IP addresses in my paths so that shouldnt affect anything right?

Edited by Master_Scythe

but chrisg, none of that should affect wired should it?

I wonder if the cable is dodgy, i know one of them was. However its odd that all PC's can do everything else fine, its just between these two PC's that are having issues.

EDIT: Actually it may be worth noting I have netbios disabled across the whole network. THough I use direct IP addresses in my paths so that shouldnt affect anything right?

Microsoft tunnel NETBIOS over TCP/IP anyway so I don't think it would be that.

Another thing to consider is the path of your network cable. I had similar problems with my HTPC. Was getting drop outs playing flac files over the network. After a quick re route of my network cable away from all the power strips the problem was solved. It doesn't happen often but it can happen.

Like chrisg said Wireshark will give you a look at whats going on or if you have a good switch/router it might have error stats also.

Similar to what SledgY said, you haven't specified how you run your cables.

Are they just bare network cables running through the house or along the skirting boards? It's worth checking the plugs and maybe putting new ones on; it's amazing how little damage to them can make for flaky connections.

Have you got cable inside the walls and terminated at keystones? If you can get at the cable, check for rodent or insect damage. I had mice in my roof and one day the Xbox's ping rates went waaayyyy up for no reason. The last thing I thought of was to check the cable run in the roof and I discovered the little buggers decided to try making the nice blue cable part of their nest - RatSak FTW!! Again, reterminating the ends can often do wonders (you may as well do the TV plugs at the same time, co-axial cable needs even more TLC than Cat5/6).

Are you going through a patch panel? Try some other ports, or new patch leads.

I know this is all back-to-basics stuff but I'm just mentioning it for completeness' sake.