Sign in to follow this  
raxo55

Upgrading for Skyrim.

Hey all.

well, skyrims nearly here (sort of)

i'm a tad excited and from the look of the trailer the graphics are going to be insane. I want to be able to run it with everything on high. at the moment i've still only got a 5770 which i'm relatively sure doesn't have the power to do that. If i had to go out and buy a card tomorrow it would probably be another 5770, but i'm not totally sure about that. any advice? looking to spend a maximum of three hundred.

thanks,

raxo.

look at a gtx 570 $369

6950 1gig $299 or 2gig $339

i sit on the nvidia side of the fence but each to their own.

the 570 is faster but the 6950 uses less power and puts out less heat.

Edited by AMD AKIMBO

Skyrim is a console game so unless they beef it up for pc or do a realy badly optimised port it should rund much the same as any other console ports you have (most games nowdays)

depending on the res some ports will strugle to maintaine 60fps on a 5770

also its silly to upgrade for a game that is over 9 months away if your pc dose waht you want now there could be new parts out by then or price drops

if you do want to upgrade now the choice is as others have said above

gtx570 $369

6950 2g $305

gtx560 ti 1g $279

if previouse bethesda games are enything to go by there could be a lot of nice big mods for this game so i would go with the 6950 2g for the extra memory also as i like its value\efficency

agreed on the game mods thing, 6950 2gb or 6970 2gb would be the pick of the cards.

just make sure you can fit 11inches of PCB into your case, if not then look at the GTX570 which is 10" or GTX560 which is 9.5" iirc

Edited by nesquick

Seems to me that you should get the game first then decide on an upgrade. If for no other reason than the currently available cards should be cheaper then, and there may be more options available to you.