Sign in to follow this  
NukeJockey

[PC] Kings Quest 3 Redux

I want a game like this to come out for windows phone. I reckon adventure games on phone should be the most awesome thing ever (when you can't be with your pc).

Fliptopia - They Really are.

and on this note - Another World is coming to iOS soon!

Posting from said device now so I apologise for the crappy formatting.

I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions nuke.

Edited by elfinke

Played for a bit last night before being turned to a pile of ash by Manannan (Damn that prick used to scare me as a kid!)

Impressions so far:

Stays true to the original

Good voice acting

(I'm assuming) Beautifully hand drawn scenery

So far so good, looking forward to playing more of it.

Looks good. But I can't sell my soul to Apple. Even for monkey island. :(

Looks good. But I can't sell my soul to Apple. Even for monkey island. :(

https://market.android.com/search?q=scummVM&c=apps

But you don't have to sell your soul... Merely give them a couple hundred bucks (iPad 1's are going real cheap now)!

Otherwise xxjackxx is on the money.

I'm rather keen to give this redux a go after reading your early impressions nuke.

Edited by elfinke

Considering its free and a relatively small download (~250mb) its totally worth trying. Its different to the original KQ3 in that you do things differently, like you need to go into town before you can get the flying spell early on in the game, but its a nice change of pace. I never finished the original, also the Wizard is still the most cunty, angry, wizard ever produced in a video game to date, the voice acting is fantastic for all the characters and the music is nice too.

KQ3 was my favourite game not long after I got my first Amiga in '89. I want to get it, and I want to like it, but I already know the plot to the game (I was one of those suckers who bought three or four of the strategy guides for the whole series). I don't know if not being able to swear at Mannanan, and nostalgia-tinted glasses are going to let me actually enjoy a remake.

I think you'll find that its different enough to be a new experience. A familiar experience, but also a new one. There are some new areas, some new puzzles etc. too

For example, the Key is in a different (Although similar spot) and I haven't been able to find the dead fly at all yet, which makes me think its probably somewhere outside the house...

Getting into the lab is also different, rather than just pulling a lever you need to do a small puzzle with 5 or 6 levers in the correct order, to find the answer to it, you have to go down into the town into a new building.

I downloaded it, but not installed (No games are going on my netbook).

Can you still kick the cat?

I was always raised by a naughty wizard :P

(I first played this on my XT. Only had the first disc though, so the furthest I got was escaping the house when Manannan left)

I installed this this morning for a quick spin. Really not impressed with the postage-stamp sized window mode :

Yeah I don't get why a new adventure game would use such a low resolution, set it to 4x aa in the options menu and it goes up to 1280x800 or something though.

*EDIT* 1280x960

Well its a point and click, not a text based adventure, so take that as you will, ofcourse you could always buy the KQ pack off the US Steam site if you wanted to play through the original again.

Yeah the point & click remakes do turn it into a new game.

I remember finding a Larry 2 point & click remake many years ago and playing through. Almost like playing a new game.

Sarien.net is another way of playing older games online. They removed Larry 1 for some reason, but there's others there to enjoy.

ive been playing for a little bit, its a great remake, esp the voice acting and the awesome drawn backgrounds.

win-win this one :)

I want a game like this to come out for windows phone. I reckon adventure games on phone should be the most awesome thing ever (when you can't be with your pc).

Only a matter of time. ScummVM would be working on it (if not done)... oops, looked it up and it looks like it's a no go as WiMo only runs apps coded in C#. AGD might be your best bet.

I'm thinking this King's Quest 3 release is AGD testing the waters. Just to see how much market there is for these kinds of games (probably for mobile platforms if the initial display's anything to go on). I wonder how much of Inform's catalogue they own. I'd love to see Arthur, or The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy come out.

Edited by TazFromOz

Only a matter of time. ScummVM would be working on it (if not done)... oops, looked it up and it looks like it's a no go as WiMo only runs apps coded in C#. AGD might be your best bet.

I'm thinking this King's Quest 3 release is AGD testing the waters. Just to see how much market there is for these kinds of games (probably for mobile platforms if the initial display's anything to go on). I wonder how much of Inform's catalogue they own. I'd love to see Arthur, or The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy come out.

AGD has been releasing remakes for the last decade :P

yeah i still like the point and click games, but for the life of me i cant sit through a shitty sierra phraser anymore.. I just tried Police Quest 1 (i finished the original years and years ago when i was a kid), but now its just soo awkward...

anyone here had a go a the original redux of KQ3?

KQ3 original redux

even that makes the original look dated, i do miss kicking the cat though.

and Quest for Glory is properly one of my most fave series out there.

i havent played the AGD version of that yet, but ive downloaded it.

AGD has been releasing remakes for the last decade :P

Just checked out the rest of their site. Kinda neat. Then checked out Sierra Online. Whoa! Mystery house. I remember that game. Used to play it at school on ye olde C64. It was awesome!

Vanne - parsers have come a long way since the bad old days. I recommend checking out the Interactive Fiction Database:

http://ifdb.tads.org/

Taz, i just had a bit of a look through the games there, boy there sure are a lot.

i see zork is also still listed there :)

Edited by Vanne