komuso

Scary earthquake?

I have lived in Japan for a number of years and experienced quite a few earthquakes but the one that is shaking right now is the biggest and longest I've felt. Probably no serious damage, but things fell off the shelf on my room, 24" monitor fell off the table, kitchen is a bit messed up. Two little quakes, five minutes all, I feel like I am standing on a ship. Here comes the third one... :/

I'm fine. Thanks (: I was on my way somewhere, but trains have stopped running. Some fires have broken out Tokyo. I was on the top floor of a three storey building, pretty solid concrete structure. Would hate to have been up in a high rise.

Apparently it wasn't such a strong quake, but the epicentre must have been close.

Wow, another big shake, biggest yet

Reports are varying but apparently it's the biggest magnitude earthquake there has been for some time, bigger than the Kobe earthquake. Tsunamis up to 8 metres hit various places.

Am watching it on the news, tsunami sounds worse than the quake. crap being pushed along on top of the wave is catching fire!!

According to someone on an IRC channel i'm currently in, it was 7.9 on the Richter scale.

Good luck Japan

Most recent report is 8.4, and it looks like there might have been two separate earthquakes.

Edited by komuso

According to someone on an IRC channel i'm currently in, it was 7.9 on the Richter scale.

Good luck Japan

I think 7.9 was prelimary estimation.

Ring of Fire is busting loose again.

Watching a live feed from helicopter on News24 atm. The oil refinery going up in flames is going to be a challenge with all the rest of the damage from the tsunami. I am glad I'm not there.

Looking bad according to the news reports. Lots of tsunami flooding and some big factories on fire.

The live footage of the water flowing up river around Miyagi around Sendai is pretty devastating :(

Over 4 million buildings without power, although all the buildings look to be holding up well against an 8.4-8.9 depending on which measurement.

Hoping for the best for everyone there, and in the other areas with tsunami warnings (Russia, Taiwan, Guam, Philippines etc)

Stay safe komuso, and dry...hope the news sites are doing their usual and over hyping this :|

Tsunami warning from the Pacific warning centre now includes

Indonesia

Australia

New Zealand

Hawaii

Mexico

Peru

Chile

Although Aust. BOM says no threat

- although I guess not a fun time to be fishing off the coast up north for the next few hours.

Edited by stadl

Dang, I only just got off the phone to my relatives up there. Might as well call up and see if they're okay. :(

I just read thwe norwegian news now. They are stating 8.9 and a huge tsunami. The pictures are just showing destruction. I hope you're in a safe place mate!

I have breaking news that none other than Mothra has appeared, and has attacked central Tokyo, Japanese military forces are unable to subdue the beast. Our only hope in stopping him lies in the hands of Gamera or perhaps King Ghidorah.

It is days like this that reminds us that man can fight another for land, power and the right to rule over others, but in the end of the day it all rests upon Mother Earth providing us security and protection.

you live in Japan?

AWESOME.

But seriously, my friends went to Japan, and they said there were quite a few small earthquakes there.

They said nobody really seems to notice.

I hope there is no more serious ones.

It's a pity that godzilla is locked up in Hollywood, he could have saved japan.

They are saying 8.8 now, and the largest quake to have hit Japan in recorded history. The news is showing quite a mess; I just watched one scene of a wall of water and debris tearing across some farmland to smash in to a few cars trying to escape...

8.9 on ABC 24. The tsunami and aftershocks are the biggest worry it seems. The TV footage of the wave coming in was, shocking.