komuso

Scary earthquake?

this isnt good,i hope it doesnt reach 9.0 or 10.

hope everyone is safe.

Japan is pretty used to quakes, but this was massive.

A good friend lives in Tokyo, just caught him for ten seconds on 'phone he's ok, got off phone, keep the lines clear.

Cheers

this isnt good,i hope it doesnt reach 9.0 or 10.

hope everyone is safe.

It won't get to 10 - guaranteed. Given that getting from 9.0 to 9.1 would be as big a difference as from 8.0 to 9.0, a 10 would be out of the question. It's supervolcano territory.

Possible nuclear power plant leakage in Fukushima. Some shocking tsunami damage. No doubt you guys are all getting good coverage anyway.

It could be much worse, but this is bad.

Possible nuclear power plant leakage in Fukushima. Some shocking tsunami damage. No doubt you guys are all getting good coverage anyway.

I hope everybody got clear of the tsunami in time- terrifying footage.

Posted Image

The richter scale goes up dramatically as it gets higher.

10 is practically impossible.

I really hope everyone is ok there.

I heard that houses were mostly earthquake proof, but not tsunami proof.

I also hope everyone gets up to high ground in surrounding regions.

Despite lots of fear, uncertainty and doubt flying around to the contrary, I would put money on it that nothing adverse will happen to any Japanese nuclear power station as a result of the recent earthquake that will have any adverse effect on any person's health or on the environment.

Sure, it will probably knock them out of operation for a little while, but a big fucking earthquake will knock any industrial operation out of operation for a little while. There will be no significant nuclear accident or radiological release, though.

In terms of the overall impact on the environment and on public health, nuclear power plants are the least significant thing for you to be worrying about - but they're the number one thing that will be subject to FUD and media attention, just like the last time there was any significant Japanese earthquake, a few years ago.

Jesus fuck, these images are crazy.

It's been a terrible year for Asia-Pacific general insurers, and I bet the reinsurers are not happy-chappys at the moment either.

Rob.

I just saw footage of this on the news and bloody hell it's full on. I hope everyone is safe and well and stays that way.

Mother nature has been a little crazy these last six months. Floods, cyclones and now earthquakes...

Edited by discoInferno

Houses on fire were being carried along by the water.

Big building floating along at the end of this video

Edited by komuso

So I landed in KL about an hour ago, wondering why my flight to Tokyo had been delayed for 5 hours. Turn my phone on to roaming and get 6 text messages asking if I was OK. Booted up my netbook, connected to the free wifi (gotta love SE asian airports) and opened SMH.

Holy. Fark.

Got 7 hours to decide whether to continue on, seems most of the places I was going to aren't badly affected although Sydney FC's ACL game might be postponed, which sucks given it's the reason I was making the trip :\

Kinda funny watching CNN freak out about all the trains and nuclear power stations being shutdown, standard whenever there's an earthquake over there. If there's going to be a country prepared to deal with an earthquake/tsunami, it's the Japanese.

So I landed in KL about an hour ago, wondering why my flight to Tokyo had been delayed for 5 hours. Turn my phone on to roaming and get 6 text messages asking if I was OK. Booted up my netbook, connected to the free wifi (gotta love SE asian airports) and opened SMH.

Holy. Fark.

Got 7 hours to decide whether to continue on, seems most of the places I was going to aren't badly affected although Sydney FC's ACL game might be postponed, which sucks given it's the reason I was making the trip :\

Kinda funny watching CNN freak out about all the trains and nuclear power stations being shutdown, standard whenever there's an earthquake over there. If there's going to be a country prepared to deal with an earthquake/tsunami, it's the Japanese.

I've been folliwng the news all day, i'd be on the first flight home if i was you!

Jesus fuck, these images are crazy.

It's been a terrible year for Asia-Pacific general insurers, and I bet the reinsurers are not happy-chappys at the moment either.

Rob.

yeah.......coz whenever i see widespread misery and devastation the plight of insurer is at the forefront of my mind.

/deadpan

insurers exist to creatively leverage the fears of masses of people with a level of moral and legal propriety that places them marginally above extortionists and racketeers. another day, another misplaced fear diverted into a misplaced dollar — so turn the fat cat profits of the fat cat insurer. of course, its all nothing but good business, since we must all be gamblers in this life in one way or another. but when the shit hits the fan and its time for the house to pay up, theres nothing more to be said.

anyone recall the Seinfeld episode where Jerry is shafted out of his rental car reservation? (to paraphrase: 'anyone can take a reservation, its the holding of the reservation thats the most important part!'). policy holders with legit claims are owed by insurers, the end. when i hand over money for a Big Mac i dont feel sorry that i am depriving McDonalds of beef and bread. their "loss" is...um...kinda factored into the terms of the transaction.

so on the one hand, a few fat cats miss a bonus or two, and a few thousand investors lose a few pence on a share price because a company has to honour their end of a bargain they not only entered into with complete volition but whose every term they carefully drafted -- while on the other, tens of thousands get a small measure of comfort as they suffer the compounded fallout of destroyed lives and livelihoods for many years to come.

"shed a tear for the insurers". lol. fuck the insurers.

Indonesia confirmed tsunami of 10cm, Phillipines between 30cm to a metre, Kauaii measured waves to 48cm, over 300 bodies found along a northeast coastal area in Japan.... pacific rim looking reasonably safe, but hell thoughts and prayers go out to all friends and family of Japanese victims.

One of my business partners is married to a Japanese lady, her family are well inland so no direct grief, but, the toll is not going to be pretty, even for a country as prepared as Japan.

The real question is have the plates now settled or is there more or worse to come?

I somehow doubt anyone really knows, but do have thoughts on if the not long passed planetary alignment has had an influence on these events. Gravity is a strange force that we don't really understand, it will probably take years to diagnose, but one thing is certain, the energy released will take a while to diminish and aftershocks, reverberations will be happening for a while.

An incredible few years, I doubt a lot of people knew what a Tsunami was until a few years back, now it's the first thing on people's minds when the earth shakes.

I do agree with Goth the nuclear plants in Japan are amongst the best in the world, unlikely to be any problems whatsoever.

I also agree on insurers, except if they are a bit too leveraged they may not be able to foot the bill, strange industry.

Cheers

My sister is flying to Fiji today... I hope the tsunami doesn't affect them too badly!

But JEEEEEESUS CHRIST! Poor Japan! It's like Toowoomba and Grantham on a much grander scale...

Ah, but there is one good thing to take away from this:

Japan uses huge amounts of nuclear power, in one of the most earthquake prone areas on earth. Over the course of this horrific tragedy, there have been 0 nuclear leaks.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it, greenies.

Edited by SquallStrife

Well, finished talking with my relatives. Luckily, they didn't go to Hokkaido as originally though and stayed in Tokyo. Now, they're thinking of coming back home.

One of my business partners is married to a Japanese lady, her family are well inland so no direct grief, but, the toll is not going to be pretty, even for a country as prepared as Japan.

The real question is have the plates now settled or is there more or worse to come?

I somehow doubt anyone really knows, but do have thoughts on if the not long passed planetary alignment has had an influence on these events. Gravity is a strange force that we don't really understand, it will probably take years to diagnose, but one thing is certain, the energy released will take a while to diminish and aftershocks, reverberations will be happening for a while.

An incredible few years, I doubt a lot of people knew what a Tsunami was until a few years back, now it's the first thing on people's minds when the earth shakes.

I do agree with Goth the nuclear plants in Japan are amongst the best in the world, unlikely to be any problems whatsoever.

I also agree on insurers, except if they are a bit too leveraged they may not be able to foot the bill, strange industry.

Cheers

Well you know i am betting this will get worse over the next 7 days as the moon moves closer to earth in it Orbit. The Scientists did predict something like this would happen as it would place some extra pressure on the earth's core. Maybe this is why the plates are shifting. But from all the events that have happened over the past 2 months with earthquakes i think a major catastrophic event will take place. Probably some part of the earth in the pacific basin will either fall in the Ocean ,or country. Or maybe even a Volcano larger than Krakatoa will explode causing a tsunami ten to twenty times higher.

But something is happening in the Pacific Basin and only hope more lives are not lost.

If I recall a brief mention in a long ago physics lecture there is an upper limit to the height of a wave, tsunami or not, what it is I forget.

News is making a big deal about a "leak" at one reactor in close to the epicentre, sounds trivial, way below TMI, and that was a beatup, we are not talking a Chernobyl here.

On the other hand refineries caught fire.... indeed greenies, take note.

Cheers

Heh, we were just packing to come home to Melbourne when the Earthquake struck. Thankfully we were able to change our flight to the next day (today), but although Narita airport is apparently open, all roads and trains are closed, so we can't physically get there. Instead, we've had to change our flight to depart from Osaka, but Jetstar has told us we can only change a maximum of two times - if an aftershock happens, or if we can no longer get to Osaka (we're going via Shinkansen naturally), we'll need to re-buy the air ticket.

Heh, we were just packing to come home to Melbourne when the Earthquake struck. Thankfully we were able to change our flight to the next day (today), but although Narita airport is apparently open, all roads and trains are closed, so we can't physically get there. Instead, we've had to change our flight to depart from Osaka, but Jetstar has told us we can only change a maximum of two times - if an aftershock happens, or if we can no longer get to Osaka (we're going via Shinkansen naturally), we'll need to re-buy the air ticket.

That's fucked, surely they'd let you change in these circumstances?

Then again, it is Jetstar...

Well you know i am betting this will get worse over the next 7 days as the moon moves closer to earth in it Orbit.

No it won't.

The Scientists did predict something like this would happen

No they didn't.

as it would place some extra pressure on the earth's core. Maybe this is why the plates are shifting.

No it isn't.

But from all the events that have happened over the past 2 months with earthquakes i think a major catastrophic event will take place. Probably some part of the earth in the pacific basin will either fall in the Ocean ,or country. Or maybe even a Volcano larger than Krakatoa will explode causing a tsunami ten to twenty times higher.

etc...