komuso

Scary earthquake?

Well you know i am betting this will get worse over the next 7 days as the moon moves closer to earth in it Orbit. The Scientists did predict something like this would happen as it would place some extra pressure on the earth's core. Maybe this is why the plates are shifting. But from all the events that have happened over the past 2 months with earthquakes i think a major catastrophic event will take place. Probably some part of the earth in the pacific basin will either fall in the Ocean ,or country. Or maybe even a Volcano larger than Krakatoa will explode causing a tsunami ten to twenty times higher.

But something is happening in the Pacific Basin and only hope more lives are not lost.

IT'S A CONSPIRACY!!!

GET TO THE ARKS!!!

A story about the nutters. The funny thing is that this close Moon approach is still a week away, yet they still persist:

http://www.news.com.au/world/japan-earthqu...i-1226020181199

CONSPIRACY theorists have taken to the internet to claim that Japan's devastating earthquake was caused by the Moon.

On March 19, the Moon will be at its closest distance from the Earth in 18 years. The event - known as a lunar perigee - happens when a full or new Moon comes within 90 per cent of its closest approach possible.

For months amatuer scientists, weather bloggers and astrologers have been making doom-laden predictions of volcanic eruptions, tsunamis and earthquakes.

A story about the nutters. The funny thing is that this close Moon approach is still a week away, yet they still persist:

CONSPIRACY theorists have taken to the internet to claim that Japan's devastating earthquake was caused by the Moon.

On March 19, the Moon will be at its closest distance from the Earth in 18 years. The event - known as a lunar perigee - happens when a full or new Moon comes within 90 per cent of its closest approach possible.

For months amatuer scientists, weather bloggers and astrologers have been making doom-laden predictions of volcanic eruptions, tsunamis and earthquakes.

I am still betting that the worse is still to come. Just found my blowup ....... to ride on.

Yes but it is scary when you think about it. Maybe that why they brought the discovery shuttle back to earth ,no runway to land on.

<laughs>

Here's a scary revelation:

about 50% of all natural disasters occur within a week either side of the New Moon.

The Conspiracy Theorists are full of shit. Now, if there was some trend where a larger percentage of quakes occurred when the Moon was closer that could be statistically expected, then they'd have something.

But they don't, and they don't have anything.

Regarding reactor leaks, the Japanese government has suppressed information regarding reactor problems at least once before, which was revealed by wikileaks when the site was still in it's infancy.

I could see the glow from that refinery fire in Chiba from my place about fifteen kms away. It was roaring just before dusk.

Here's a scary revelation:

about 50% of all natural disasters occur within a week either side of the New Moon.

Wait! That means the other 50% of disasters occur outside that period. OMFG that's almost half the time!

And there was large solar flares the day before the earthquake as well - conspiracy theorists are trying to prove a tie between solar and space weather and earth activity (apparently there was some solar activity around the same time as - or just prior to - the Christchurch earthquake as well)

Good friends sister lives in Japan, but just heard she's safe. Terrible bloody thing.... and this time its not la nina.

If anyone can makes heads or tails of this:

Space Weather Message Code: WARK04

Serial Number: 1702

Issue Time: 2011 Mar 11 1531 UTC

EXTENDED WARNING: Geomagnetic K-index of 4 expected

Extension to Serial Number: 1701

Valid From: 2011 Mar 10 0640 UTC

Now Valid Until: 2011 Mar 12 1600 UTC

Warning Condition: Persistence

‎:Product: Geophysical Alert Message wwv.txt

:Issued: 2011 Mar 12 0300 UTC

# Prepared by the US Dept. of Commerce, NOAA, Space Weather Prediction Center

#

# Geophysical Alert Message

#

Solar-terrestrial indices for 11 March follow.

Solar flux 123 and mid-latitude A-index 25.

The mid-latitude K-index at 0300 UTC on 12 March was 4 (55 nT).

Space weather for the past 24 hours has been minor.

Geomagnetic storms reaching the G1 level occurred.

Space weather for the next 24 hours is expected to be minor.

Geomagnetic storms reaching the G1 level are expected.

Radio blackouts reaching the R1 level are expected.

http://spaceweather.com/

Edited by DEVERE

There's big solar flares all the time - it's only that we've been able to keep such close track of the sun since dedicated satellites and probes have been around.

But the knob-jockeys of this world will continually put 2 and 2 together to get 5. And the weak-minded will continue to follow and fund their madness.

My sister is flying to Fiji today... I hope the tsunami doesn't affect them too badly!

But JEEEEEESUS CHRIST! Poor Japan! It's like Toowoomba and Grantham on a much grander scale...

Ah, but there is one good thing to take away from this:

Japan uses huge amounts of nuclear power, in one of the most earthquake prone areas on earth. Over the course of this horrific tragedy, there have been 0 nuclear leaks.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it, greenies.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/03...?section=justin

Japanese quake-hit nuclear plant Fukushima No 1 "may be experiencing a nuclear meltdown", according to Kyodo and Jiji reports.

Parts of the reactor's nuclear fuel rods were briefly exposed to the air after cooling water levels dropped through evaporation, and a fire engine is currently pumping water into the reactor, Jiji Press says.

The water levels are recovering, says Jiji, quoting operator Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO).

A TEPCO spokesman says that "we believe the reactor is not melting down or cracking. We are trying to raise the water level."

TimeOutTokyo tweeted: "Concerning the reactor meltdown, government asks Japanese population not to panic, saying the problem is contained within the facility."

Kyodo News agency, however, says radioactive caesium had been detected near the plant.

A 8.9 magnitude quake hit Japan on Friday, triggering a tsunami.

The northern prefecture of Fukushima, home to two nuclear power plants, is one of the worst affected areas.

The prefecture is about 250 kilometres north-east of Tokyo.

Thankfully:

"Concerning the reactor meltdown, government asks Japanese population not to panic, saying the problem is contained within the facility."

As per design.

When you hear "Kyodo News agency, however, says radioactive caesium had been detected near the plant." one must remember that this can still be within safe limits, and is a useless statement without context.

http://youropenbook.org/?q=pearl+harbor&gender=any is pretty disgusting.

Was listening to a lot of the event unfold on the radio yesterday (<3 BBC World Service). I think it was mentioned that the wave is 'only' about a metre high, but the wavelength was huge.

Oh wow - thats terrible Nich...

Just goes to show some people can never let go of the past.

yeah.......coz whenever i see widespread misery and devastation the plight of insurer is at the forefront of my mind.

It was after 15 minutes of watching ABC News 24's coverage, jaw almost at the ground, seeing cars tossed around like sponges, and boates freaking hitting bridges, torrents of water ruining everything in it's path, and marveling over these people stuck in office buildings for 3 minutes of violent earthquake wondering what I would be thinking in their shows.... that I realised that in the context of natural disasters in both Aus and NZ it was a pretty bad start to the year for general insurers.

If you don't know the context it's probably best not to comment, you'll look silly.

Rob.

It's got nothing to do with people who can or cannot let go of the past. It's do to with people being utter, utter fuckwits.

The person who invents a cure for stupid will have my eternal gratitude.

It's got nothing to do with people who can or cannot let go of the past. It's do to with people being utter, utter fuckwits.

The person who invents a cure for stupid will have my eternal gratitude.

I'll be right behind you to shake their hand! *sigh*

Just got word that there is going to be rain this afternoon, laden with chemicals from the refinery fire. Announcement from the oil company says it's quite dangerous and advises people, particularly in my area, to not go outside.

Just got word that there is going to be rain this afternoon, laden with chemicals from the refinery fire. Announcement from the oil company says it's quite dangerous and advises people, particularly in my area, to not go outside.

Everyone else probably knows already, but where are you, kumoso?

yeah.......coz whenever i see widespread misery and devastation the plight of insurer is at the forefront of my mind.

It was after 15 minutes of watching ABC News 24's coverage, jaw almost at the ground, seeing cars tossed around like sponges, and boats freaking hitting bridges, torrents of water ruining everything in it's path, and marveling over these people stuck in office buildings for 3 minutes of violent earthquake wondering what I would be thinking in their shoes.... that I realised that in the context of natural disasters in both Aus and NZ it was a pretty bad start to the year for general insurers.

If you don't know the context it's probably best not to comment, you'll look silly.

Rob.

i guess it depends on where you think the burden of communication should fall.

if a friend told you their father had just fallen over and died, breaking his favourite chair and his neck in the process, and your first comment to them was "gee I hope the chair can be fixed", would you expect them to simply surmise or assume qualifying details of your heartfelt sympathy for their father's death, or could you forgive them for thinking you insensitive for putting a disproportionate focus on the chair given the context, even though there is nothing particularly wrong with the sentiment in isolation?

anyway, thanks for filling in the blanks.