komuso

Scary earthquake?

i guess it depends on where you think the burden of communication should fall.

if a friend told you their father had just fallen over and died, breaking his favourite chair and his neck in the process, and your first comment to them was "gee I hope the chair can be fixed", would you expect them to simply surmise or assume qualifying details of your heartfelt sympathy for their father's death, or could you forgive them for thinking you insensitive for putting a disproportionate focus on the chair given the context, even though there is nothing particularly wrong with the sentiment in isolation?

My first comment was much along the same lines as many others in this thread; "Jesus fuck, these images are crazy." If you can't see the shock, awe, and implied sympathy in that... well... I don't see that as being my problem.

Also, if this thread contained anyone who's relatively had been severely affected, then you'd bet my backside I'd express my concern for them. But so far there was minimal personal fuss, and it was quite clear that komuso is okay. That's why your example of a friend's bad news is totally different to this thread.

Either way, your contribution to the thread was nothing other than having a go at me, and then going on a tirade about insurers. As my post was prefixed with "Jesus fuck, these images are crazy" expressing shock and concern, surely I've done a better job than you have?

Rob.

Just got word that there is going to be rain this afternoon, laden with chemicals from the refinery fire. Announcement from the oil company says it's quite dangerous and advises people, particularly in my area, to not go outside.

Everyone else probably knows already, but where are you, kumoso?

I'm in Chiba, on the border of Tokyo.

Well you know i am betting this will get worse over the next 7 days as the moon moves closer to earth in it Orbit.

No it won't.

The Scientists did predict something like this would happen

No they didn't.

as it would place some extra pressure on the earth's core. Maybe this is why the plates are shifting.

No it isn't.

But from all the events that have happened over the past 2 months with earthquakes i think a major catastrophic event will take place. Probably some part of the earth in the pacific basin will either fall in the Ocean ,or country. Or maybe even a Volcano larger than Krakatoa will explode causing a tsunami ten to twenty times higher.

etc...

Stage 1: Denial....no.no.no. no.nooooo ;)

Edited by eveln

One American living in California has just been killed by the tsunami waves.

FUCK NOW IT'S A REALLY SERIOUS TRAGEDY!!!

Edited by Virtuoso

i guess it depends on where you think the burden of communication should fall.

if a friend told you their father had just fallen over and died, breaking his favourite chair and his neck in the process, and your first comment to them was "gee I hope the chair can be fixed", would you expect them to simply surmise or assume qualifying details of your heartfelt sympathy for their father's death, or could you forgive them for thinking you insensitive for putting a disproportionate focus on the chair given the context, even though there is nothing particularly wrong with the sentiment in isolation?

My first comment was much along the same lines as many others in this thread; "Jesus fuck, these images are crazy." If you can't see the shock, awe, and implied sympathy in that... well... I don't see that as being my problem.

Also, if this thread contained anyone who's relatively had been severely affected, then you'd bet my backside I'd express my concern for them. But so far there was minimal personal fuss, and it was quite clear that komuso is okay. That's why your example of a friend's bad news is totally different to this thread.

Either way, your contribution to the thread was nothing other than having a go at me, and then going on a tirade about insurers. As my post was prefixed with "Jesus fuck, these images are crazy" expressing shock and concern, surely I've done a better job than you have?

Rob.

Well to be honest the plight of the underwriters is furthest from my mind at this time.

And I feel it a tad inappropriate to be bringing it up here.

Yes technically you did contribute something and you did express alarm and were aghast at the damage.

But I am in sympathy with @~thehung's fuck the insurers mindset, and feel he did you a service pointing out its inappropriateness in this thread.

That is just my take on it .

Edited by Waltish

Fresh reports that a reactor at Fukushima just exploded. Will try and get more info.

Edited by komuso

Rob.

actually, my interpretation was that it could be read as though the reason the images were jesus fuck crazy to you was because of how they would effect the insurers. i didnt seriously believe you felt that way, but thought it worthwhile to point out that it could be read that way. the tirade about insurers was just bonus content.

anyway, i accept that i may have been inappropriate and over-zealous in how i chose to raise the issue, and i apologise for any offence caused.

Tonga just been hit by 6.1 earthquake

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/tonga...0-1226020277898

A 6.1-magnitude earthquake struck the South Pacific nation of Tonga this afternoon, according to the US Geological Survey.

As yet, there are not reports of damage.

Geebus the moon death doomsayer may be onto somthing.

NZ then Japan and now Tonga , this will spread thin the resources of the worlds relief efforts .... Tonga is such an under resourced place , I hope they don't suffer too much damage.

Edited by Waltish

Fresh reports that a reactor at Fukushima just exploded. Will try and get more info.

I just read this at The Age:

An explosion was heard and white smoke was spotted at Japan's quake-hit Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant Saturday afternoon, Jiji press agency said.

Several workers were reported to be injured in the explosion, and smoke was seen billowing out of the plant.

Radioactivity at the plant was 20 times over the normal level, and Japan's Nuclear Safety Commission has said it may be experiencing meltdown.

I just read this at The Age:

An explosion was heard and white smoke was spotted at Japan's quake-hit Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant Saturday afternoon, Jiji press agency said.

Several workers were reported to be injured in the explosion, and smoke was seen billowing out of the plant.

Radioactivity at the plant was 20 times over the normal level, and Japan's Nuclear Safety Commission has said it may be experiencing meltdown.

Oh hell.

Everyone has a different story regarding this reactor. The only thing that's for sure is that something exploded, and white smoke and injuries were reported.

A meltdown IIRC just means the core has been damaged from overheating.

It's a good thing that most of the "OMG CHERNOBYL AGAIN" style doomsaying is coming from "Union of Concerned Scientists", an activist group.

What's most likely is some localised contamination in the process of venting pressure.

Meltdown is a nice scary word for scaring NIMBYs, it's not a catastrophe in itself.

Edited by SquallStrife

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/03...?section=justin

"Several workers have been injured in an explosion at the quake-hit Fukushima No 1 nuclear power plant in Japan's north, according to local media reports.

The explosion was heard at 3:36pm (local time) following a series of large tremors at the site.

According to public broadcaster NHK, the plant's exterior walls are gone and only the skeleton structure remains.

Footage on Japanese television shows white smoke billowing from the plant.

Local media reports say radioactivity at the plant is now 20 times the normal level.

Nearby residents are being warned to stay indoors, turn off air-conditioners and not to drink tap water.

If people must go outside, they should avoid exposing their skin and cover their face with masks and wet towels.

Chief cabinet secretary Yukio Edano has held a press conference asking people to remain calm.

The cooling system of the Fukushima plant was damaged when a massive 8.9-magnitude quake struck the region on Friday.

More than 45,000 residents within a 10-kilometre radius of the plant have been evacuated.

Thousands more have been evacuated from near a second plant, Fukushima No 2, which also suffered damage to its cooling system.

The government earlier warned of a meltdown at the No 1 plant, but said the risk of radiation contamination was small."

Where the devil do they house 45,000 people ?

Edited by eveln

3:36pm, March 12, 2011.

Fukushima No 1 explodes in a cloud of radioactive dust. Immediately a 10km exclusion zone is set up by Japanese military. No one is allowed in or out of the exclusion zone including journalists. Gunfire has been reported.

4:45pm, March 12, 2011.

Reports are emerging that Japanese military have shot and killed several Journalists and civilians at road blocks surrounding the exclusion zone. No word on if the civilians were trying to enter or leave the exclusion zone.

Japanese prime minister Naoto Kan has denied reports of the shootings and states the military presence is for evacuation assistance only and that radiation levels are normal.

10:05pm, March 12, 2011.

Strange lights can be seen from within the exclusion zone caused by what appears to be what appears to be low altitude electrical storms, the cause is as yet unknown.

2:21am, March 13, 2011.

US Naval forces are moving in off the coast of Japan. The US released a statement demanding access to the exclusion zone for 'humanitarian aid' purposes. A response from the Japanese Prime Minister has warned the

US that entering the exclusion zone would be considered an act of war.

8:45am, March 14, 2011.

Biological remains have been found by civilians neighboring the exclusion zone. The animal appears to have been shot several times, no pictures were taken however one eye witness said "They (The remains) were unlike anything I have seen before" and "it was like a large mutated dog".

Since this discovery Japanese authorities have began moving the road blocks expanding the exclusion zone to 15km. Meanwhile US Naval forces remain stationed off the east coast of Japan with no word yet on the stand off.

- GSC NEWS

Are Nuclear power plants normally near residential areas?

Japan is a very crowded space, and they try to conserve as much space as possible.

3:36pm, March 12, 2011.

Fukushima No 1 explodes in a cloud of radioactive dust. Immediately a 10km exclusion zone is set up by Japanese military. No one is allowed in or out of the exclusion zone including journalists. Gunfire has been reported.

4:45pm, March 12, 2011.

Reports are emerging that Japanese military have shot and killed several Journalists and civilians at road blocks surrounding the exclusion zone. No word on if the civilians were trying to enter or leave the exclusion zone.

Japanese prime minister Naoto Kan has denied reports of the shootings and states the military presence is for evacuation assistance only and that radiation levels are normal.

10:05pm, March 12, 2011.

Strange lights can be seen from within the exclusion zone caused by what appears to be what appears to be low altitude electrical storms, the cause is as yet unknown.

2:21am, March 13, 2011.

US Naval forces are moving in off the coast of Japan. The US released a statement demanding access to the exclusion zone for 'humanitarian aid' purposes. A response from the Japanese Prime Minister has warned the

US that entering the exclusion zone would be considered an act of war.

8:45am, March 14, 2011.

Biological remains have been found by civilians neighboring the exclusion zone. The animal appears to have been shot several times, no pictures were taken however one eye witness said "They (The remains) were unlike anything I have seen before" and "it was like a large mutated dog".

Since this discovery Japanese authorities have began moving the road blocks expanding the exclusion zone to 15km. Meanwhile US Naval forces remain stationed off the east coast of Japan with no word yet on the stand off.

- GSC NEWS

Oh, you.