komuso

Scary earthquake?

Good to hear that engineers know what they're doing. I happen to know that they eat bananas for breakfast.

Edit: Also, I'd like more source with my bananas in future. Tight arse!

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

I did hear a report that said there is as much radiation being released in one hour as is released in one year. Whether that means within a contained area, or the surrounding area, hasn't been confirmed. The explosion, and the cloud of smoke, aren't very reassuring, but there isn't much to do but wait and see.

The reactor in question is 180km to the north of me.

I did hear a report that said there is as much radiation being released in one hour as is released in one year. Whether that means within a contained area, or the surrounding area, hasn't been confirmed. The explosion, and the cloud of smoke, aren't very reassuring, but there isn't much to do but wait and see.

On the bright side, it's a good excuse to down some vodka.

That is no good. Which way is the wind blowing?

On the bright side, it's a good excuse to down some vodka.

Who needs an excuse?

Well, I guess if you're in a lecture and the professor asked, you'd want to appear intelligent by having such a well thought out excuse. On the other hand, if you are in a physics/medical lecture, you'll probably be told that vodka has no effect, and will be soon taken away by campus security. But it'd be totally worth it.

Sorry, correction, 230km north of me. Northerly wind for now.

Just looking at an image of the building on the tv now. The surface of the top of the structure is completely gone, leaving only the framework.

The surface of the top of the structure is completely gone, leaving only the framework.

Yes, but they're saying that's only the skin, and that the containment hasn't been breached.

So I surmise the radiation is from the deliberate venting of over-pressurised steam this afternoon.

I haven't found any specific reports of the level of radiation - either released, or observed in the hospital patients - so at this stage, who knows how bad or otherwise it is.

Edited by Virtuoso

Can't find any updates on this this morning anyone else come across anything?

Also every single news report I have come across has been different so its really really hard to get a bearing on all this.

Where is Goth? He may be pro nuclear but at least he can explain some of the stuff we are hearing

Also to answer the question about when the reactor was due to be decommissioned:

"Unit 1 is a 439 MW boiling water reactor (BWR3) constructed in July 1967. It commenced commercial electrical production March 26, 1971, and was scheduled for shutdown on March 26, 2011"

Source - http://www.icjt.org/plants/uni/a/uni194a.html

Edited by TheGrEaVeR

Was just told that there is a seventy percent chance of another significiant tremor occurring in the next week. In the wrong place, a much smaller earthquake could cause catastrophic damage.

From tomorrow we are going to have planned power outages in different sections of Tokyo. Don't think life will be back to anything like normal for a few days yet. Still just sitting tight. Constant small tremors; sometimes we feel like things are moving and can't tell if they actually are, or not.

Friends I spoke to who are in less congested areas of Tokyo never thought the damage would be this severe. My first post indicates the same.

Don't think life will be back to anything like normal for a few days yet.

Yeah, it's sounding like more than a few days though... :S

I'm sitting here hoping for the best.

Rob.

Jesus fuck.

Posted Image

Rob.

22 people hospitalized due to the radiation leak. They estimate 190 people were within a 10km radius at the time of the leak/breach/discharge, though it's unknown how may have been impacted.

Hopefully there won't be any major aftershocks.

/crosses fingers

22 people hospitalized due to the radiation leak. They estimate 190 people were within a 10km radius at the time of the leak/breach/discharge, though it's unknown how may have been impacted.

Hopefully there won't be any major aftershocks.

/crosses fingers

yeah my friends sister is actually living in Fukushima - no idea if she's safe or what :(

Rob.

Jesus fuck.

Posted Image

Rob.

Bejeeezuz.. That's either going to be a problem or a major tourist attraction in the coming months.

Rob.

Rob.

I meant around Tokyo. Other parts of Japan that were out of the way are probably ok. Movement is pretty limited in Tokyo though. Trains are running but roads are congested.

CONSPIRACY theorists have taken to the internet to claim that Japan's devastating earthquake was caused by the Moon.

Maybe that's just a conspiracy to cover up the conspiracy that the earthquake was actually created with HAARP. Or maybe the HAARP conspiracy theories are just a big conspiracy to cover up the fact that the earthquakes are caused by the moon. Or Nibiru.

I thought the fission reaction in a light water reactor was supposed to discontiunue in the absence of coolant, making meltdown impossible...?

The fission reaction was shut down immediately due to automatic insertion of the control rods at the time of the earthquake, and that has been the case ever since.

(And yes, removing the water from the core will also send it sub-critical, even without control rods.)

But the fuel still gives off a small amount of heat for a few days due to residual radioactivity, and some cooling is still required to prevent heating damage to the fuel.

(But that decay heat will decay away to insignificant levels over the next couple of days, so the risk period will be closing pretty soon and the damage that will be done will be done.)

It's similar to Three Mile Island. The chain reaction in the core was completely stopped and the control rods fully inserted very early on; but with a loss of the coolant, the residual heat output from the fuel still caused partial melting of the fuel.

The absolute worst-case possible scenario at Fukushima will be very similar to TMI - nobody gets hurt by radiation, (But lots of people hurt by big fuckoff earthquake) but the reactor may well be written off and it costs the utility company lots of bucks, and results in more coal and fossil fuel used to replace it.

It's an old reactor close to decommission anyway, may have a bearing.

Honestly, if you worked in a dental surgery that does x rays you'd be getting more exposure.

So long as the earth doesn't shake again and crack something it will be a messy but manageable cleanup.

I worry more about what the tsunami might have done in Vladivostok, not too far away, lot of old Russian nuke subs being cleaned up there, the Russians seem to have been very out of the picture on the entire event, unless

I missed something,

Cheers

Some of you might remember the before/after wipes the ABC did of the Queensland floods. They've done another lot for the Japanese quake and tsunami: http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/japan-qu...beforeafter.htm

I'd realised intellectually that major dicking had be inflicted upon them. The scale of it is rather more visceral when you can compare like that, though.

Those poor bastards. I can only hope that rebuilding from this disaster spurs them to another 'economic miracle' like rebuilding after the bombs did.

Insurance claim scam...?

I was thinking viral stunt for a Japanese sequel to STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl.

Insurance claim scam...?

*ahem* We're not allowed to bring up the question of insurance in this thread, it's insensitive! :P

Rob.

Just had another 6.4 tremor, closer to Tokyo this time, not very long though.

Another tsunami warning and reports of an explosion in number 3 reactor

http://www.abc.net.au/news/abcnews24/

A TSUNAMI is expected to hit northeast Japan coast in 15 minutes, according to Japan's national broadcaster NHK.

An estimated three-metre tsunami has been seen off Japan by a helicopter, Jiji news agency reports.

Tsunami warning cancelled - wasn't an 'official' warning according to news websites - grr if its not official why the fooking hell publish it??

Edited by DEVERE

How's your abode holding up Komuso ?

How's your abode holding up Komuso ?

My place is fine, made of solid concrete blocks and only three stories high. I don't think I could be in a safer building really.