komuso

Scary earthquake?

Just had another 6.4 tremor, closer to Tokyo this time, not very long though.

How's your abode holding up Komuso ?

My place is fine, made of solid concrete blocks and only three stories high. I don't think I could be in a safer building really.

Good :)

Sheesh.

<PICTURE>

Sheesh.

Rob.

Free seafood delivery?

Fooking awful huh?

Practically all of the Caesium and Iodine released on Friday would now be gone, as it's very short-lived.

Sheesh.

Posted Image

Sheesh.

Rob.

This picture reminds me of playing California games on the surfing mode where after the wave breaks and you ride the wave in and you are dodging all the trash and shit.

It just gets even more stunning...

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/03...er-tsunami.html

Rob.

Could be just me, but that looks essentially the same as the ABC shots. Couple of new ones, and a couple left out, but not really all that different.

Yeah some are the exact same shot, just different angles and some closer shots than others

Guest MrInsaneBuff

Ive got a app on my phone that tells me when ever there is a seismic event while its connected to the net. There have been at least 4 events tonight off Honshu the largest hitting 5.2

Its not over, and from what i hear they are expecting a large aftershock still.

One of the creepy things about the app is that the phone vibrates as an alert. So i kinda experience the quake in real time. I really wish it would stop fucking vibrating.

Edited by MrInsaneBuff

Guest MrInsaneBuff

Normally its a fun little thing where i get to go into google maps and see where it was. Normally its some place out in the middle of the ocean. But right now the whole east coast of Japan is just a sea of read from all the epicentres.

Looks like they just had a 6.0 a little while ago.

Ive got a app on my phone that tells me when ever there is a seismic event while its connected to the net. There have been at least 4 events tonight off Honshu the largest hitting 5.2

One of the creepy things about the app is that the phone vibrates as an alert. So i kinda experience the quake in real time. I really wish it would stop fucking vibrating.

Whats the app mate?

Quite a few people I know are now getting out of Tokyo. My dorm is now like a ghost town, where a few days ago it looked like a media centre. I hadn't thought about leaving til yesterday. I've been watching the news regarding the reactor, keeping an eye on the back and forthing here on the forum, gathering a range of opinions, but now with the crisis being rated at level 6, getting out of Tokyo seems to be a good idea, if only as a precaution.

The reactor situation has not improved, and continues to get worse. Explosions at reactors one to four, possible developing problems with five and six, cracked confinement vessel on reactor two, exposed rods, and now talk of dumping water into reactor by helicopter. It's sounding desperate, rather than under control.

I cant do anything right now, but I will be up early tomorrow morning to check on the situation.

Quite a few people I know are now getting out of Tokyo. My dorm is now like a ghost town, where a few days ago it looked like a media centre. I hadn't thought about leaving til yesterday. I've been watching the news regarding the reactor, keeping an eye on the back and forthing here on the forum, gathering a range of opinions, but now with the crisis being rated at level 6, getting out of Tokyo seems to be a good idea, if only as a precaution.

The reactor situation has not improved, and continues to get worse. Explosions at reactors one to four, possible developing problems with five and six, cracked confinement vessel on reactor two, exposed rods, and now talk of dumping water into reactor by helicopter. It's sounding desperate, rather than under control.

I cant do anything right now, but I will be up early tomorrow morning to check on the situation.

pfft! level six schmevel six. "check on the situation", indeed.

Leonid says it only looks like a 3 or 4. youre A okay. Posted Image.

no offence, but frankly, your concerns are just silly.

Actually, I've been sitting tight. Out of a dorm of 45 rooms, mostly full, I remain here with maybe five or six people. What would you do if a lot of people around you started moving west or going back home?

Edited by komuso

Guest MrInsaneBuff

Whats the app mate?

Its called Earthquake, in the Android app store.

Actually, I've been sitting tight. Out of a dorm of 45 rooms, mostly full, I remain here with maybe five or six people. What would you do if a lot of people around you started moving west or going back home?

Make for Osaka.

Unless you really need to be in Japan i dont think its worth being potentially exposed to radiation levels which have been known to shorten peoples lives and give them some pretty fucked up forms of cancer.

But id be leaving because of all the shit that went down with the Tsunami's. Japan is going to recovering for years, and prices for a lot of basic goods are going to skyrocket when you look at all the agricultural land which has been wiped out, let alone the communities which took care of that land. I know when you run the percentages of land affected against that which isnt its still a small proportion. But it looks like they have lost some very productive land.

If you are there studying, i doubt there are any classes running and they wont mind you popping home for a bit if you let them know that you are just going to apease your mother and father. Their big on respecting their elders wish's. Say you'll be back as soon as classes start again.

You can then decide based on objective facts if you want to go back or not.

I have gone to Osaka. I was almost the last person to leave my dorm; as I was leaving I bumped into the last guy, an Argentinian, and he left half an hour after me, so the only person left is the sixty something year old caretaker. A lot of people have come down this way. I was considering going to Nagoya as I have some friends there, but a strong earthquake is expected in that area.

Now that I am here, I realise that I felt quite safe at home. Had I stayed in Tokyo though, I would be the only one there, and founded or not, I would probably be having some doubts right about now.

The general vibe amongst Japanese is that not everything is being reported.

Edited by komuso

pfft! level six schmevel six. "check on the situation", indeed.

Leonid says it only looks like a 3 or 4. youre A okay. Posted Image.

no offence, but frankly, your concerns are just silly.

His concerns may be silly, but if I were in his shoes I'd be doing exactly the same thing.

[edit]: On second reading, sarcasm? :P

I'm glad to hear you're okay komuso, who are you staying with in Osaka?

Rob.

Edited by robzy

I have gone to Osaka. I was almost the last person to leave my dorm; as I was leaving I bumped into the last guy, an Argentinian, and he left half an hour after me, so the only person left is the sixty something year old caretaker. A lot of people have come down this way. I was considering going to Nagoya as I have some friends there, but a strong earthquake is expected in that area.

Now that I am here, I realise that I felt quite safe at home. Had I stayed in Tokyo though, I would be the only one there, and founded or not, I would probably be having some doubts right about now.

The general vibe amongst Japanese is that not everything is being reported.

Good move komuso I hope things get better and that more bad does not happen {:)

Guest MrInsaneBuff

Well at least Osaka is a party town. So you wont be bored and id imagine you can make some new friends if you go to a few bars and restaurants. From what i understand Osakans are very friendly people.

Guest MrInsaneBuff

DFAT is saying that all Aussies should leave Japan. Looks like they are extending emegency loans to people who cant afford a flight out. Which is pretty shitty since the Brits and the French are just paying for people or flat out flying in planes to evac with.

I hope you are going to follow their advice Komuso.

Edited by MrInsaneBuff