smadge1

4-bay NAS with RAID1 and iSCSI

Just looking into setting up a pair of 4-bay NAS units, with the ability to setup 2 RAID1 pairs, and present these to WHS2011 as iSCSI targets (for a total of 8 drives or 4 volumes)

I can use 2 volumes for storage, then use the other 2 for backups. Backing up diagonally of course, so the storage volume on one NAS would be backed up to the backup volume on the other NAS and vis-a-versa.

I use a Thecus 5 bay that has that capability (I've been using iSCSI on it for a while now).

You can go down the dedicated NAS path or you can BYO depending on the managibility, admin hours, flexibility, etc you need...

I use a Thecus 5 bay that has that capability (I've been using iSCSI on it for a while now).

what model, price and supplier did you use?

what model, price and supplier did you use?

Mine was the 5500PRO, and it was that long ago I'm not sure who I got it through and for what price. Upwards of $750?

that's a pretty serious commitment. Though, iSCSI will likely be platform independent for the foreseeable future.

that's a pretty serious commitment. Though, iSCSI will likely be platform independent for the foreseeable future.

It was! Actually the Visa statement confirms, $699. :)

I went with iSCSI, but a few tests showed that it was not really faster than mapping a drive, which was a disappointment :(

Edited by Mac Dude

Bloody wimps the lot of you, this is Atomic so do it properly and build your own bloody NAS.

Cheap disk + FreeNAS/Openfiler/etc = NAS.

Same thing but self managed and built, may not have all the bells and whistles of a bought NAS but it's comparably cheaper.

Same thing but self managed and built, may not have all the bells and whistles of a bought NAS but it's comparably cheaper.

And what's better IMO is that you can tailor the home made NAS to your needs. You are not stuck with some companies idea of what you need.

Benefits of a NAS though include easier setup and management and lower power usage.

Ye sure setup is easier, but power usage? Would totally depend on the NAS vs the home build.

What I'm thinking is, two iSCSI NAS boxes for storage, and a little Dell Zino HD as the system which it's installed on.

I am thinking the same thing actually, but with a Mac Mini.

Problem is with a lot of these small systems is they can never hold enough RAM, only 8G!

Cheap disk + Solaris 11 = SAN.

Booyah, bitches.

What I'm thinking is, two iSCSI NAS boxes for storage, and a little Dell Zino HD as the system which it's installed on.

Wouldn't using multibay esata enclosures be cheaper and quicker? Or do specifically not want DAS?

Booyah, bitches.

Having issues with the Solaris kool aid at the moment, I think someone has peed in the jug.

Edited by iamthemaxx

Booyah, bitches.

Having issues with the Solaris kool aid at the moment, I think someone has peed in the jug.

Fucks me, I'm no longer a sysadmin.