the_pest_xxvi

[PC] Shogun 2 Total War

In this incarnation of the Total War franchise I have found that trade and diplomacy are just as valuable as straight military conquest. On very hard the computer clans always do a good job of wiping themselves out and several super clans emerging. Money and food can be hard to come by so making lots of castles and armies is difficult.

Being that I am a careful expander and not aggressive I like to creep forward and not expend large amounts of money on armies until I tech up. If you don't have a sound economic base your military conquest can fall flat, that is the experience I have had with Total War all these years.

Being that the clans are far more active in this game I can't just rely on a reasonable defence force and a non aggression pact with the factions around me. I need to be engaging every turn in creationist and maintenance diplomacy to keep ties and trade strong. To create buffer zones between myself and potential enemies, manoeuvring trade around them to economically strangle them. Then finally to create choke points and defense blocks to slow down and wear down any enemy that does make it in. Being that the terrain plays a massive role on the campaign map as well as on the battle map I always try to funnel enemies into places that slows their advance, hit them with monks to demoralise them, wait for winter to pass and then counter attack, or let them bash against the walls of my castle.

In Rome and Empire as long as I could secure my flank I could steadily build up to be unstoppable in economic and military might. In Shogun 2 this theory still applies, but it is much harder to do in my experience as the AI is much more aggressive and the control of resources/trade goods is much tighter.

Recently I incurred the wrath of the Inagami clan and we warred over Fukashima castle for 2 years. I held my place and fended off an attack each season with a much smaller force. I had no money to create a relief force as my ports were being blockaded and I was making just enough to cover my costs. Eventually I was able to turn the tide of the naval war and start building a relief army which was then crushed by a relief army of theirs that marched up. Fukashima eventually fell but I had cost the enemy 5000 troops to my 1500. I built a new army and kept building new ones, marched down and retook the town the following year. In that space of time my military might went from Moderate to Strong, theirs went from Mighty to Moderate (not all me they were fighting another war at the time). It was still a satisfying hanging by your nails victory.

The way the game plays now means I can't do much epic marches to glory like I used to with massive armies but it makes every victory more meaningful in my mind.

The Ikko Ikki dlc has been released today on Steam.

The Ikko Ikki Clan Pack adds the iconic ‘warrior monk’ clan to Total War: SHOGUN 2 and a wide variety of brand-new content for use across the different game modes of SHOGUN 2.

The Ikko Ikki “warrior monk” Clan:

A new clan for use in single or multiplayer Campaign modes and Custom and Multiplayer Battles

8 new unit-variants specific to the Ikko Ikki clan

New skill trees

New Ikko Ikki Monk Agent with his own specific skill tree

The Ikko Ikki Clan Pack also includes:

The Warrior Nun unit – can be trained by any clan except the Ikko Ikki

New Naginata Warrior Monk hero

New Historical Battle: Nagashima (Ikko Ikki VS Oda)

Ikko Ikki armour set for Avatar - includes hood, robes and barefoot leg-pieces.

New Retainers for use in the Avatar Conquest mode:

$4.50US

-X