Sign in to follow this  
Antraman

A few shots last weekend

I remember reading in Barnbaum's "Art of Photography" how the use of softening renders subject matter more acceptable and less intrusive or something like that, so was trying a few shots with softening.

Barriers.

There were 4 obstacles present at the location, one of them didn't turn out...it was a ditch with water in it. The other three are an open grassy verge. and obviously, the fence and the wall. The cloud in the sky at the top represents freedom, and the vertical lines draw our vision up to try and see whats behind the barriers, which is where we want to go. I was trying to portray how barriers have become acceptable in our lives with the softening effect. Leaving the photo sharp or high contrasted would make the viewer say "Ewww....obstacles", but here, the viewer might say "Hmm, nice pic" and ignore the elephant in the room, which are barriers.

Posted Image

Torture

In this one, if I didn't soften it, the vague humanoid images would not be as visible as they are when softened.

Posted Image

Edited by Antraman

Liking 'Torture' a lot. Reminds me of Pan's Labyrinth.

I agree, wouldn't have turned out as well if the image wasn't softened a touch.

The softening effect works very well in the first photo. I found I was thinking almost exactly what you wrote when I first looked at it: "A bit plain but a nice photo anyway. Oh, look! There are barriers after all." This, I gather, is pretty much the effect you're after, correct?

As for the second, no amount of softening takes away the impact of the mental associations I have with the word 'torture'. If you'd used a completely different title like 'Slumber' (they look like sleeping bodies twisted together) or 'Wrestling' (again, twisting bodies but with an implication of motion) then I would've reacted differently. That's just a personal thing, though, which is always the danger when asking someone else to interpret your art.

I still think it's an excellent subject to pursue. I'm curious to see what other images you come up with.

As for the second, no amount of softening takes away the impact of the mental associations I have with the word 'torture'. If you'd used a completely different title like 'Slumber' (they look like sleeping bodies twisted together) or 'Wrestling' (again, twisting bodies but with an implication of motion) then I would've reacted differently.

Actually, thats a very good point that I had not considered....and I think it may be a Freudian slip in that it was reflecting something of my thoughts at the time.

Hmmm, I better be more careful.

And yeah, you are correct on your first point. However, to be honest, that only came up in post processing, not at the time I took the shot. When I was taking the shot, I knew there was an interesting subject and angle etc., but couldn't put my finger on it at the time. I took the shot anyway. It was only when playing around with it in Lightroom that the idea behind the scene became apparent to me.

Sort of like take a picture and hope for the best...8-)

This one of my wife was different though, I knew exactly the effect that I wanted as I had seen it a photography magazine, and was trying to copy it I was going for the modern, cosmopolitan Euro-style fashion look.

Posted Image

Now that's cool. The light flares all around really serve to focus the eye on her, especially since her black hair and T-shirt acts as anchors. No matter where I look my eyes are always circling back to the centre of the frame. And, yes, it's very chic. :)

Torture

In this one, if I didn't soften it, the vague humanoid images would not be as visible as they are when softened.

Posted Image

Fucking legendary.

Torture

Fucking legendary.

Have to agree.