AMTP10E

How do you say “chutzpah” in Chinese?

China wants 'one-child' compensation over NZ quake

AP

WELLINGTON, New Zealand – A Chinese official said Monday that New Zealand should consider special compensation to parents of Chinese students killed in an earthquake last month because their loss was magnified under the country's one-child policy.

Seven students from China have been identified among the 166 confirmed deaths in the quake that devastated Christchurch city on Feb. 22, and as many as 20 others are still missing.

Chinese Embassy official Cheng Lei said Monday that Chinese quake victims had lost not just their only child, but also a future breadwinner.

He said New Zealand should consider providing additional financial assistance to those families.

"You can expect how lonely, how desperate they are ... not only from losing loved ones, but losing almost entirely the major source of economic assistance after retirement," Cheng told Radio New Zealand.

Such compensation would be consolation for the families of the victims "but also a demonstration of the importance the New Zealand government attaches to the Chinese international" students, he said.

Prime Minister John Key said New Zealand had the greatest sympathy for the Chinese families and that they were eligible for compensation under an existing government accident insurance fund...

Let's see. The number 2 economy in the world wants number 60 to pay special compensation for an act of God to families who are suffering the consequence of their government's inhuman policy.

If I were the Kiwis my response would end with "...and the horse you rode in on."

I really hope this is a bullshit story that someone made up...

Because quite frankly the "official" deserves to be bitch slapped for even suggesting such a f*cking ridiculous thing

1.Asking people to breed less in the world's most populated country is not inhumane

2.Said policy is a joke

3.Don't drag God into this

4.The 'official' is a total idiot

5.New Zealand has every right to say 'No.'

1.Asking people to breed less in the world's most populated country is not inhumane

2.Said policy is a joke

3.Don't drag God into this

4.The 'official' is a total idiot

5.New Zealand has every right to say 'No.'

Do some research, there is no 'asking' in the one child policy. Forced abortions, forced sterilisations, massive fines, discrimination, jail...

Real fucking humane.

Do some research, there is no 'asking' in the one child policy. Forced abortions, forced sterilisations, massive fines, discrimination, jail...

Real fucking humane.

My relatives have multiple children there. :D I think that policy doesn't affect the countryside though. *shrug*

Real fucking humane.

My relatives have multiple children there. :D I think that policy doesn't affect the countryside though. *shrug*

You CAN have extra kids but if you do they slug you with a HUGE fine, it's like a years wages or so.

Regardless of the policy's status, it's a bit callous of the "official" expecting a government to cough up for an event they did not control.

Always the same red China. Slave labour conditions for their people whilst the rest of the world happily buys their products...

Chinese government asking the Kiwi government to pay more compensation to one it's own citizens because China's own policies? Well, China should pay it then if they are so compassionate.