Sign in to follow this  
Greaver

[PC] Valve protects retards from themselves

Valve has introduced a new security feature on all accounts whose email address has been verified - Steam Guard

All it does is send an email to your Steam accounts verified email address when your steam account details are entered from a computer for the first time. The email contains a code which you in turn enter when prompted when logging in on a new computer or fresh reinstall.

This means provided you don't use the same password for your email as your Steam account (if you do then I am surprised you have enough brain cells to navigate to this website anyway) you will most likely never fall victim to Steam account theft through social engineering.

I think this is a great feature but I have always felt the best way for people to learn their private information is as safe on the internet as unprotected sex with a track mark laden hooker is the hard way, that and public lynching in the forms of threads where people tell them what idiots they are and abuse them for sending the bloody links to them.

Anyway well done Valve for protecting people from themselves and no doubt putting half their support staff out of work.

good detective work there^

He did not read it due to the stupid title it was under

"Posted Today, 05:40 AM", Sleep try it some time mate.

good detective work there^

He did not read it due to the stupid title it was under

"Posted Today, 05:40 AM", Sleep try it some time mate.

i was refering to the post directly above mine

My thread was more about the fact that Gabe Newell gave out his steam details, rather than announcing steam guard.

Therefor it wasn't a stupid thread title.

A lot of people have a a lot of money invested in their steam accounts these days, I find it hard to criticise Valve for taking steps to protect their customers.

OP criticises vale that they may now sack customer service.

Anyway well done Valve for protecting people from themselves and no doubt putting half their support staff out of work.

The other side of the coin is more people losing their accounts and then having to go through a long and inefficient customer support process.

Firstly there is no evidence valve has sacked staff, secondly even if they do sack staff that money can now be put into improving their service elsewhere, that is the nature of business do things as efficiently as possible so as to provision for growth.

If businesses were sentimental and not economically minded you wouldn't have a service like Steam.

Also you can't please all people with one decision but taking steps to improve customers security can only be a plus in my mind. A safer Steam account makes me more willing to invest in their service.

Edited by Bundy

isnt this only enabled for people with the new Sandy Bridge CPU's?

i thought you cant do it it on the older Cpu's.

I think it uses the same system as windows does for authentication, hardware ID.

What is Steam Guard and how does it impact me?

Steam Guard is an additional level of security that can be applied to your Steam account. The first level of security on your account is your login credentials: your Steam account name and password. With Steam Guard, a second level of security is applied to your account, making it harder for your Steam account to fall into the wrong hands.

When Steam Guard is enabled on your account, anyone attempting to login to your Steam account from an unrecognized computer must provide additional authorization. A special access code will be sent to your contact email address, and this code must be entered into Steam before your login is complete.

Once you've verified your email address with Steam, Steam Guard becomes available for your use. Once enabled, you will be required to access your email and provide the special access code from Steam Support when logging into Steam from any computer which we don't recognize.

Does Steam Guard take advantage of the Intel® Identity Protection Technology solution that Valve and Intel recently announced?

No, not in the current release. We hope to offer additional forms of authentication soon though, so you'll have your choice of secondary authentication methods with Steam Guard.

Valve support page.

There's only so much they could do to protect accounts.

IMO they have found a pretty decent balance between security and user-friendlyness.

Any more complicated methods would either scare off the 12 year olds or make it impossible for them to recover their account.

I wont be using it, but it will serve its purpose.

Mine is using it by default, don't know why, but I don't mind, theres about 3 computers I log onto steam with and logging into gmail takes all of 2 seconds, not a hassle at all. With over 4k worth of games on my account, I'm glad to have some extra security.

WTF mind blown.

Steam tells me i'm protected by Steam Guard.

Although I never confirmed my email.

Oh well. Looks like I will just leave it enabled. Can't hurt.

At the moment there is software based protection. The hardware based IPT solution will be implemented at a later date.

KB Article,

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article...=8232-WSGZ-8021

Edited by Blue Fire

Fairly sure it goes off Hardware ID like Windows activation does. But I may be wrong, a software approach would be too easy to spoof I daresay.

Fairly sure it goes off Hardware ID like Windows activation does. But I may be wrong, a software approach would be too easy to spoof I daresay.

Maybe it isn't software based like I said, but perhaps along the lines of what you mentioned and/or server authentication.

There's still bugs with the system I guess.

My Main computer, which is a P4 with Vista, SteamGuard is active.

but on my two other computers, P4/XP and C2D/Win7 respectively, do not have SteamGuard active, even though all my Steam accounts are verified, and the clients are up-to-date (I made sure by deleting the contents of the steam folder and re-installing from the steampowered website)

Posted Image

My account is also not working as depicted above. Awaiting activation on my account before going on to the Steam forums to get my steam guard to work.