NukeJockey

Stupid things you forget when building a pc

Stupid Intel setups with the pins on the mobo instead of the CPU. Dropped the chip and bent a pin a couple times now.

If you dropped the chip, you would have bent pins either way. Whether they reside on the CPU or the motherboard is irrelevant.

I always put the side panel back on before testing >.<

Murphy dictates that every time I do this, there will be some reason to take it back off

YES!! God that shits me when I do that

Stupid Intel setups with the pins on the mobo instead of the CPU. Dropped the chip and bent a pin a couple times now.

If you dropped the chip, you would have bent pins either way. Whether they reside on the CPU or the motherboard is irrelevant.

Nah. I mean dropping only half a cm or so. AMD pins will handle that. The pins in the Intel sockets seem very thin, I assume they are a little 'springy' to help hold a contact. Staightening the pins on the chip is a lot easier than those on a mobo. Actually, at least one time, it wasn't the CPU it was the socket cover. But either way it's still just me being a clutz.

I just brought a new case home, and I was lovingly adding all the bits in, I go to sit down to take a rest, and sat right on the side of the case I'd taken off, and bent it up real good.

I just brought a new case home, and I was lovingly adding all the bits in, I go to sit down to take a rest, and sat right on the side of the case I'd taken off, and bent it up real good.

Ow, and I bet it is an expensive case too. Things like that never seem to happen to the cheap shit.

Most of mine are forgetting the 4/pin mobo power. Fried at least one board after I forgot to connect that.

The other one is leaving CD's in clients computers. I've lost more windows CD's then I care to know

I regularly do the "hey, why isn't it powering on" only to realise the power cable isn't plugged in or the switch on the PSU is off.....

I always seem to forget to set the drive boot order in BIOS after every new build. "Why the frack won't this boot off my Windows install DVD???????"

Murphy dictates that every time I do this, there will be some reason to take it back off

/raises hand in shame. Me too....

No horror stories. Usually just cables... or small steps in an operation. Curse my forgetfulness. My brain is always outpacing itself.... which in the end makes me spend more time doing something than I have to.

For a long while now I haven't forgotten any step in a hardware build.

It's always software that I forget to install. That is usually not such a major problem for me but when doing it for friends or relatives there is always the call of

"I can't open an email"

"What do you mean, you have been emailing me all day"

"No I can open some emails, just not this one"

"Ok, so what happens when you try to open it"

"It asks for what program I want to use"

Goes through the process of determining file extension and proceeds to talk them through installing the appropriate program.

Every goddamn time. I really need to make myself a proper default installation list or find a tool to do it for me.

yea rushing is when you make mistakes, any build I do I just take my time and revel in the new tech I am installing :D

Oh yeah, this. I usually spent the best part of a day putting my rig together just.... MAKING.

It's therapeutic (until the bloody thing doesn't POST)

always forget to unplug the monitor when i take out the graphics card

every damn time

every damn time

Likewise

I do that too with my wireless card, never unplug the antenna cable...

With my current case, it has rails for the HDD's. I'll often attach them on the wrong way, so my hard drive goes in wrong

Other things to do with cables would be plugging the audio cables in the motherboard audio, when I have an add-on sound card

Hahaha, you guys will like this one

I took to the stock fan of my heatsink a while back, and put 2 new ones on (only have the 1 now). I had both fans blowing air at the sink ( >>> ||| <<<) instead of (>>> ||| >>>). Let's just say my temps rose a bit :P

I soon realized what I'd one, but as always not before I'd started it

First time I've ever done that, usually get the fans around the right way...

Oh yea, plugging the monitor into the onboard VGA port rather than the one on the graphics card.

Oh yea, plugging the monitor into the onboard VGA port rather than the one on the graphics card.

Yep, done that too

It's therapeutic (until the bloody thing doesn't POST)

Oh yeah. Way too often. Then panic time kicks in. Though more often than not, I just leave it alone for a few hours and then it works fine. I don't know if it's charging capacitors or just needs to take it's first real breathe after the birthing experience. Bloody annoying either way.

And my cookies hate me, so 'Remember Me' fails. I constantly go to reply in these forums and forget to actually log in first.

Yep, done that too

I do similar, running dual video cards the last few years, I often plug the DVI cable into the 2nd card, which it wont boot from -.-

Or lose the required adapter plug

You know? The one you needed because your PSU doesn't have it, or enough, so needed an extra trip for a bloody 2 buck 50 item, which you somehow manage to misplace on the way home, or while building the system - Either way, you can't find the bloody thing and you need it to move on, so you go off and get another one, then when you get home, the first one shows up again, then continues to hang around for the next few years as a reminder of that blasted day

That one may be just me >.>

Edited by Khirareq

Recently rebuilt my omputer into a new case, to fit a new graphics and necessary new PSU.

I got to starting it up again ... started furious, continuous beep at me; nearly bursted my head off the first time!

Went through several things in the computer trying to figure out what wasn't in, each time accompanied by the ear hurting POST beep.

Finally found one of the modular plugs from the PSU to graphics cards wasn't quite in enough! >.<

... just glad it wasn't a DOA or some such.

Recently rebuilt my omputer into a new case, to fit a new graphics and necessary new PSU.

I got to starting it up again ... started furious, continuous beep at me; nearly bursted my head off the first time!

Went through several things in the computer trying to figure out what wasn't in, each time accompanied by the ear hurting POST beep.

Finally found one of the modular plugs from the PSU to graphics cards wasn't quite in enough! >.<

... just glad it wasn't a DOA or some such.

I've had that happen, the extra 2 pins that form an 8 pin pci-e plug were a little loose and it wouldn't boot, thank fuck I checked those first though.

hmmmm, all built then >>>> no power on........ check cables etc, a rise in blood pressure, anxiety that ive just fried my mates PC. then look to the power outlet on the wall. seemed as though a phone charger was more important.......

every damn time

Did this 3 times on Saturday.

Yep. Plus it doesn't help that the case is sometimes heavy or I CBF moving it.

Forgotten to put power to the DVD Drive.

Forgotten to put power to the Motherboard.

Forgotten to put the external power cable in to the power supply and thought I had stuffed something somewhere. Rebuilt then noticed I had not put it in in the first place.

New computer, booted it up, wondered why Windows wasn't loading then realised I hadn't installed it yet.

Done all of the above except for Windows. Usually I know when it is installed. But yeah, sat down and noticed my other DVD drive didn't work and didn't open. Thought it was dead and opened it up until I noticed the partially plugged in plug. /hangs head in shame.

nrjensen, this thread is over a year old. Please don't bump old threads unless you have something important to add (and even then, you should probably start a new one).