NukeJockey

Stupid things you forget when building a pc

I have several times forgotten to make sure I push RAM sticks all the way in so the little tabs at the end click in. On my previous build I had a stick dislodge after I moved the computer one day. Ended up spending quite a while scratching my nogin till I figured that one stick was only half pushed in.

You'd think I would have learnt my lesson, but only a couple of weeks ago I did the exact same thing on my current build. Only noticed when I was cleaning up the wiring. Computer had been up and running for several days by that time.

Have never fried any hardware (thanks be to the silicon gods) but I tend to be quite anal when I put things together. And I don't really tend to mod very heavily.

Great bump. I love it when people reply to 1 year old threads too without reading the time stamps.

Great bump. I love it when people reply to 1 year old threads too without reading the time stamps.

Maybe they should... RTFM!

Also I just learned that HDD's have screws on the bottom for mounting. I've known about them on SSD's, but the Arc Midi is the first case I've had that used them. I like them.

Haha, this is a good bump, never saw this one last year. Some funny shit in here.

The last build I did (several years ago), I ordered a whole new box. Unfortunately the order was done at Easter time, I received it all in the post on the Wednesday, and started building after work on Thursday night, only to realise, I forgot to order RAM.

I wasn't very pleasant to be around over the Easter break.

the worst I have done is installing the heatsink in the wrong orientation, go to put the motherboard in the case and couldn't get it in.

Putting my new pc together, didnt check board for pata ports for my dvd burner... Lol

Luckily my brothers pc has a sata burner :)

And he's not home at the moment :p

Mounted my motherboard, optical drives, hard drives, ram, graphics card and cable tidied the whole thing...then realised I'd not put the power supply in first...D'oh...this was in an top mounted PSU.

When I was upgrading my mothers computer I forgot to back up her Outlook 2003 PST file.

Mounted my motherboard, optical drives, hard drives, ram, graphics card and cable tidied the whole thing...then realised I'd not put the power supply in first...D'oh...this was in an top mounted PSU.

When I was upgrading my mothers computer I forgot to back up her Outlook 2003 PST file.

How did you not notice that there was no PSU when you were tidying the cables? :P

Last system I built for a mate had a modular power supply which I normally avoid. Put it all together plugged in, started got lights and noise but no display.

Cue 30 minutes of trying to reseat the video card and checking all the plugs before I finally break out the manual and realise I am in actual fact a moron. Theres a blank piece of plastic stuck in the 8 pin motherboard power and since the PSU was modular I forgot to plug it in.

Embarresment.

How did you not notice that there was no PSU when you were tidying the cables? :P

'Wow my cable management looks awesome!

Wait a minute...

/epic sigh'

I tidied the case USB, MIC / SOUND, fan cables, firewire, SATA cables for HDD's and optical drives.

I had to take out the Thermal Right Ultra 120, the ram, GPU and one optical drive to slip in the PSU.

My first custom PC, I got a mate to build it for me, he worked for MSY at the time, and was a gun at building machines, or so he told me...

He spent an hour putting it all together, tidying cables, adjusting things to make sure certain cables were usable if needed later, but not in the way...

We plug it in, get a Windows XP disc ready for the install (was mid 2006) plug in the computer, boot it, nothing on the screen, everything else is spinning, lighting and running up... He pulls the leads out, turns the case on its side and has a look, "Nothing wrong here"... Tries it again for good measure, still, not displaying anything...

He is standing there swearing at my new computer, pulling his hair out... when I speak up, "Mate, now don't think I am a dickhead, but isn't the GPU.."

"Shut up, I know what I am doing!"

So, I stand there with a big smile on my face for a solid 3 minutes or so, when he looks at me and says, "What? What do you want to say?"

"Dude, the GPU, shouldn't it have a power lead into that plug on the end?"

He looks at the GPU, back at me, back at the GPU and while reaching for a power cable, looks back at me again, "Shut up, don't say a fucking word!"

I smiled, walke doutside, had a smoke and a beer while I waited for him to come out so I could laugh at him.

Got roped in to tidy up the cabling associated with a couple of PC's at my wife's workplace.

Disconnected all the cables and plugged them back in one by one, making it all neat and so on..... Fired up again and one of them wouldn't work.

Well, not quite, 'cos all the fans hummed, HDD lights came on and the BIOS beeped right but nothing on the screen at all. Swapped monitors, they were OK and in the end I couldn't figure what to do (apart from feel sick!) when I couldn't even get a BIOS screen up, and I sure didn't want to stuff it up completely. So I looked really stupid when the wife had to get their tech support in next day to sort it out.

And I was stupid, as it turns out. I'd plugged the monitor into the MOBO inbuilt graphics socket and hadn't noticed there was a dedicated card in there too! WTF!! I mean, who puts a dedicated graphics card into a PC used to access a customer database or create word docs and so on!!??!!

Just read back a few posts and realised I'm not alone on this one..LOL..

Edited by sharman

About a week ago I updated my GPU, but to this day I still don't know why a 5-10 minute upgrade took 3-4 hours of head scratching.

No matter what I did, the PC seemed to turn on (keyboard and mouse would light up and HDDs click over) but I wouldn't get a picture.

Thought it was a faulty GPU (checked power supply etc.) so took it out and ran off the on-board, both VGA and HDMI as a test. No go.

Ended up re-seating the RAM and somehow, that got it all working. I've not bothered to try and research why RAM being re-seated would help, particularly because I never touched it as part of the upgrade!

So I guess that's just something I won't forget NEXT time I get shit random issues.

I upgraded my case from an Antec 900 to a CM Cosmos II Tower. I mean the installation went fine. However, the Cosmos has a front panel for fan/LED control at the top. The panel itself is connected to a mass of wires on the other side, within the case, and the connections dont seem to connect up to anything in the case or motherboard or anything like that. Checking the case's manual yielded no ideas except that the wires are connected to said panel. So, here I have, these mass of wires that do nothing at the moment but control one of the fans and its LED. What a waste. Ill have a look at it this week. If only the manufacturer's manual was a bit more descriptive.

Edited by strifus

I have had this same problem 3 times now in a row.

Usually i only build a PC when i upgrade..about every 2 years. Plus a few for friends over the years.

Anyway... I am from the old days where build a pc didnt seem to have alot of the nice little things they have now..like a molded plug for the Hdd light and reset switch.

One of these nice new modern conveniences is the fancy back plate that comes with the motherboard that you click into the case before putting the mobo in. (there was a time these didn't exist ! and now they are even fancier with labeling!)

Anyway, last 3 PC's i have got everything in and realized i forgot to mount it in, or didn't realize it had to go in first.

The other day for my new PC i just assumed you could do it later.

Although not a neccesity, it does stop dust and look nice......So i pulled it all apart to a stage where i could force it in.

Was kind of pissed...because you take all this care with the parts....then when you know you have fucked up you just get rough with it. All worked in the end.

(When the AGP 3.0 came out i built a PC and it didnt work...i could not get it to boot. When to the PC store... Card not seated properly.......they just felt tight like i was going to break it...felt like a right loser.)

Was kind of pissed...because you take all this care with the parts....then when you know you have fucked up you just get rough with it. All worked in the end.

Haha, yup, been there.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

"Dude, the GPU, shouldn't it have a power lead into that plug on the end?"

Yep. That's my one.

I used to have an Antec Twelve Hundred case and I was constantly swapping cards. The Twelve Hundred has thumb screws and a side plate that can be a bit fiddly to get back on. Inevitably I'd realise just as the second thumb screw got to finger tight....

Yeah, I've done the whole forget the blanking plate thing too. Very annoying.

Never forgot a psu though :P

Yeah, I've done the whole forget the blanking plate thing too. Very annoying.

Never forgot a psu though :P

Not forgotten the PSU but damn well forgotten to plug in the modular cables for the HDD, optical drive, video card etc.

Was wondering why it was so neat in the case without me even trying.

fail

:-(

Amazingly I built my brothers PC in a rush before an exam, and everything came out perfectly first time. I think I wasted all my luck on that PC, because the exam was brutal!