Sign in to follow this  
Goth

US forces currently bombing the crap out of Libya.

Hmm,

The Afghan situation is truly crazy, you can't win a war in that insane country, just lock them in and let them go back to their centuries old past-time of killing each other.

I mean really lock them in and cut off the flow of opium.

Cheers

US policy in the MidEast has been driven by a combination of oil and Israel for literally decades.

You don’t have to be a West Point valedictorian or a four star general to know that.

Also, Bush’s puppetmaster’s used 9/11 as an excuse to implement things that had wanted to do from day one, beginning with overthrowing Saddam.

Again, that’s hardly earth-shattering news.

Nor does it prove the existence of some vast, global, new world order conspiracy.

As far as conspiracies go, there’s also the inconvenient little detail that Bush is no longer in power, hasn’t been for over two years and Obama is pretty much the anti-Bush.

It should also be noted, at the time of that clip, Wesley Clark was considered to be a possible Presidential candidate.

Oh and Chris, go back to bed. You repeatedly typed ’74 when you meant ’73. ;)

:)

I did too....

Juggling four documents here atm :)

Cheers

One of the biggest and most important differences between this conflict and more historically typical Western/US interventions is that NATO is supporting a homegrown and popular rebel group against a nasty dictator.

The normal MO for the USA is to support the nasty dictator.

9/11 taught them that supporting nasty dictators is bad, and breeding democracy, even if it is sometimes used against you, is good.

One of the biggest and most important differences between this conflict and more historically typical Western/US interventions is that NATO is supporting a homegrown and popular rebel group against a nasty dictator.

The normal MO for the USA is to support the nasty dictator.

9/11 taught them that supporting nasty dictators is bad, and breeding democracy, even if it is sometimes used against you, is good.

Hardly...

The US is supporting the uprising against Gadaffi because the US government and for that matter, the governments of Western Europe want to see Gadaffi gone and for a variety of reasons.

IF this were simply about getting rid of the "nasty dictator," then not only would Gadaffi not be the only one on the hit parade, he wouldn't even be at the top.

I'm not saying it's the only reason. One could not expect the USA or any country to be able to fight all the world's Battles. Of course they will choose those where there is a certain level of self interest.

I don't think that's a big deal.

And after the ridiculous deals that the British did with Gaddafi recently in order to secure oil contracts, I'm of a mind to think that it would have been far easier for the West to sit back and ensure he remained in power.

Honestly, I don't think that getting rid of him is necessarily the most self-interested thing they can do. There is at least an attempt here to do the right thing.

Dead man talking.

Every once in a while, establishment control of the mainstream media cracks for a moment. In an effort to achieve higher ratings, mainstream news programs will invite guests on that promise to be “interesting”, but then they will say something that is not part of the script and the entire system will go into a state of chaos for a moment. One example of this happened recently when two CNN “infobabes” interviewed former CIA officer Michael Scheuer about the situation on the ground in Libya. They asked Scheuer some questions regarding the role of the CIA in Libya, but the interview rapidly moved in some directions that the “infobabes” were not anticipating. Instead of sticking to the “Republican” or the “Democrat” script, Scheuer ripped both parties and he detailed many of the reasons why we should have never gone into Libya at all.

The “infobabes” grew increasingly uncomfortable as Scheuer described how large numbers of the resistance fighters in Libya have fought against U.S. troops in the Balkans, in Afghanistan and in Iraq. They did not seem pleased at all when Scheuer declared that the civil war in Libya is “none of our business” and that to the rest of the world this conflict looks like “Americans killing Muslims for oil” all over again.

The funniest part of the interview was when Scheuer accused one of the “infobabes” of “carrying the water for Mr. Obama”. After that statement, the female anchor that Scheuer was addressing was visibly flustered and quickly went to a commercial.

Wasn’t that hilarious?

When a big time establishment news network such as CNN goes “off script” it can be a beautiful thing to watch.

Heh heh.The infobabes do indeed seem to have a little trouble with straight forward honesty.

Those two are typical US morning news babble eye candy and I'd be surprised if they could find Libya on a map.

One of the many reasons why if I do watch TV news, I tend to watch the BBC.

Even though I tend to support an interventionist foreign policy, I'd be interested in hearing more of what the former CIA officer has to say.

However, I watched the entire interview and again, it was nothing earth shattering, nothing proving some vast conspiracy to control the media or proving any other part of the vast new world order conspiracy theory.

Calling Ambassador Rice "crazed," is a bit over the top for CNN as is telling the good folks watching at home that the US is "bankrupt."

That would be the reason the infobabes got flustered.

Calling Ambassador Rice "crazed," is a bit over the top for CNN as is telling the good folks watching at home that the US is "bankrupt."

That would be the reason the infobabes got flustered.

Plenty of folk calling out the U.S. on it's bankrupt condition and have been for a couple of years so that aint news. as for crazed politicians, I'd love to see a compliation of video to support his claims but meh, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

bwahahaha ha ha ha

Ok, probably no surprises for anyone here but can I say 'told you so' anyway?

Army General Carter Ham told Congress today that while sending a globalist ground invasion force including American troops into Libya may not be “ideal,” it is probably the only way to make sure the CIA organized rebels and al-Qaeda defeat Gaddafi and his troops.

The use of an international ground force is a possible plan to bolster rebels fighting forces loyal to the Libyan leader, Ham said at a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing, the AP and CBS report today.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/04/07/...n20051760.shtml

And an assessment of the overall situation here:

Edited by Director

Not to rain on your parade D but isn't Corbett the same guy who thinks the Japanese earthquake was man-made?

There are many, many factual errors in that interview, but the most telling would be the opinion on Syria.

CIA would have no hope of instilling revolution in that country, they barely have assets there to start with, and a military incursion would be extremely difficult, you have to either fly in over Lebanon which involves coming through the Bekaa Valley, a nest of SAMs near on what north Vietnam once had, or youd' have to try asking Turkey for use of bases and the answer would be no, Turkey does not ant things stirring up its back yard, it has enough trouble with Iraq and the Northern Kurds.

What is really happening in the ME is far simpler - people are fed-up with their lot and are kicking out their leaders to attempt to improve their way of life.

I also found laughable the economic rationalisation of sorting out the US economy by getting other countries to buy the US dollar - Sure, that would really help - not, China already has being doing that and it is part of the problem. Lastly to suggest Canada might buy dollars is a joke, the Canadian economy is far too small to do such a thing.

Cheers

So I imagine does he.

I forgot one other thing, the very idea of encircling Brazil, Russia and China, seemed to forget India - we're talking most of the world's population there.....

Only one thing did I really agree on , the Med is a US, or rather NATO lake, has been for a long time.

Cheers

NP.

It was more about the U.S. troops being pimped to invade Libya anyway, the other stuff was just a bonus. ;)

Depends on the next ten days, weapons in yes, food also, troops, best not, unless of course they are Arab troops, which is possible.

Getting a bit too much friendly fire though, NATO is not as coordinated as it was, need a bit better comms net as in open enough to bring in an external ally, the rebels, but keep traffic away from the enemy.

It's a work in progress, but not anything like finished.

Cheers

Meh...

I made it through about four minutes of that crap before I found the off button.

It's really kinda the downside of the net, anybody with a PC and a camera can get online and expound their "expert" opinions.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/...6-1226032876057

WESTERN forces should get out of Libya, Australian journalist and documentary-maker John Pilger says.

"What the West should do is absolutely nothing," Pilger told a small group of protesters in Sydney today.

"Stay away from other countries of the world, stay away from their resources, stay away from their people, let countries develop in their own way, let the Libyan people deal with (Libyan leader Muammar) Gaddafi."

The US and its allies are not involved to free Libya from dictatorship but to secure their strategic interests in the area, Pilger said.

"This isn't really about Libya ... it's about the US," he said.

"If Libya grew carrots there would be no no-fly zone. Libya has oil (and is) a strategic part of the world and is independent ... and that is the reason Libya is being attacked."

Several Libyan nationals who turned up to the protest disagreed with Pilger, saying that the NATO airstrikes are necessary to save lives.

"We support the airstrikes ... because they protect the civilians," Issa Ali, a Libyan studying in Australia, told AAP.

"As Libyans, we know exactly what is going on there. I am from Benghazi.

"As a Libyan, do you think we are happy that the coalition strike our country? No, they destroy infrastructure.

"But when you compare infrastructure to people's lives what's more important?"

But any help offered by the US is a "poisoned chalice," Pilger said.

"They want Libya ... to have a strategic foothold in that part of the world just as they wanted a strategic foothold in Iraq," he said.

"It adds nothing to the freedom of people in Libya."

Pilger said there is no doubt the airstrikes are killing people on both sides of the fight in Libya and that freedom must be won by the Libyan people.

"Wherever the West has gone in more people have been killed ... in Australia most people do not understand that more than a million people died as a direct result of the invasion of Iraq," he said.

"What is our right to go and arbitrarily select countries in which to intervene? (I support) freedom in Libya, most certainly, but it must be won by Libyans."

Earlier today it was reported that a NATO airstrike intended to thwart Gaddafi's forces killed 13 rebel fighters in eastern Libya instead.

However Libyan rebels described the strike as an “unfortunate accident” and stressed it did not diminish their support for the international air campaign against Gaddafi.

I wonder what Pilger would have said about WWII and 'invading' Europe if he was around. The fact is, civilians in Libya were getting bombed by their own government - we've stopped that now with the no-fly zone. We've got a much better mandate than we did for the Iraq invasion, probably even Afghanistan too. And if it was about strategic assets then why has NATO effectively prolonged a civil war that has caused the price of oil to sky-rocket, when Gaddhafi was more than happy to sell it to us (and was being 'rehabilitated' diplomatically by the West to boot).

It's part humanitarian mission and part settling an old score with Gaddhafi - the fact that Libya's in the NATO pond too makes it even easier for the West to get involved.

Don't recall the last time I EVER agreed with Pilger - bleeding heart fuck-wit with no idea of the real world.

Cheers

It'll be much more interesting if Obama can't pass supply.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/...6-1226032876057

WESTERN forces should get out of Libya, Australian journalist and documentary-maker John Pilger says.

"What the West should do is absolutely nothing," Pilger told a small group of protesters in Sydney today.

"Stay away from other countries of the world, stay away from their resources, stay away from their people, let countries develop in their own way, let the Libyan people deal with (Libyan leader Muammar) Gaddafi."

The US and its allies are not involved to free Libya from dictatorship but to secure their strategic interests in the area, Pilger said.

"This isn't really about Libya ... it's about the US," he said.

"If Libya grew carrots there would be no no-fly zone. Libya has oil (and is) a strategic part of the world and is independent ... and that is the reason Libya is being attacked."

Several Libyan nationals who turned up to the protest disagreed with Pilger, saying that the NATO airstrikes are necessary to save lives.

"We support the airstrikes ... because they protect the civilians," Issa Ali, a Libyan studying in Australia, told AAP.

"As Libyans, we know exactly what is going on there. I am from Benghazi.

"As a Libyan, do you think we are happy that the coalition strike our country? No, they destroy infrastructure.

"But when you compare infrastructure to people's lives what's more important?"

But any help offered by the US is a "poisoned chalice," Pilger said.

"They want Libya ... to have a strategic foothold in that part of the world just as they wanted a strategic foothold in Iraq," he said.

"It adds nothing to the freedom of people in Libya."

Pilger said there is no doubt the airstrikes are killing people on both sides of the fight in Libya and that freedom must be won by the Libyan people.

"Wherever the West has gone in more people have been killed ... in Australia most people do not understand that more than a million people died as a direct result of the invasion of Iraq," he said.

"What is our right to go and arbitrarily select countries in which to intervene? (I support) freedom in Libya, most certainly, but it must be won by Libyans."

Earlier today it was reported that a NATO airstrike intended to thwart Gaddafi's forces killed 13 rebel fighters in eastern Libya instead.

However Libyan rebels described the strike as an “unfortunate accident” and stressed it did not diminish their support for the international air campaign against Gaddafi.

I wonder who Pilger thinks will be supplying food and weapons and intelligence to the rebels, or who supplied the Government with weapons. There's no such thing, anymore, as a truly independent nation, or people. Pretending everything isn't interconnected is a farce.

Having seen some of the Islamist crap that is emerging in Egypt and Tunisia and the indications of similar in Lybia, my advice to NATO and the West is when it's one set of assholes fighting another set of assholes, you're supposed to pray for an asteroid, not pick a favourite.