alexdtree

acer 5750G not connecting to Network

hey atomicans,

a friend recently bought an Acer 5750G and by recently i mean 2 days ago from laptop factory outlet.

the laptop was connecting to a network previously perfectly fine. we moved it to another location and the laptop would not connect

the laptop wont even connect when plugged in with an ethernet cable directly to the router, we have updated the drivers and installed all the windows 7 updates.

the laptop has a Atheros AR5B97 wifi adapter.

please help as we desperatley need to pwn noobs :P

Look for a network switch on the laptop body or the <Fn> + <F3> key combination (light on the front edge should be on, second light from the left according to the manual).

Also check in device manager to make sure the network interfaces are not disabled.

Check IP settings on both network adapters (should be set to auto and check browser settings for Proxy settings (normally set to none).

Check time, date and location settings.

Yes they can have an affect.

Does the laptop detect any networks at all?

Do you get a message that the ethernet interface has been connected?

Check your IP settings as Aliali has said. Make sure you're using Auto (Unless you know how to correctly configure a static IP).

Date and time should only effect your PC if you're a part of a domain, but make sure they are correct none the less.

Date and time should only effect your PC if you're a part of a domain, but make sure they are correct none the less.

Nope can affect Internet connections too, especially where windows update and certificates are concerned, but I have had one PC that was set back to 2000 after a bios reset and it simply could not get any internet traffic going till I fixed the date issue. Odd one I admit but it did happen.

Well, I stand corrected!

Ye it is only one PC I have seen did this. Possibly co-incidental but the thing worked as soon as I corrected the date.

Most common problem I have seen with incorrect date and time settings is software update failures, especially windows update and antivirus updates. Apparently they don't like getting updates from several years in the future.

Damn time space continuum slippage :P

So something I always check now when a PC has a networking issue.