Reb1rth.

Scissor-switch, rubber dome anti-ghosting keyboard.

Hi.

I know keyboards aren't exactly of great importance to many people, but I am after a specific kind... and I can't find one anywhere.

I'm looking for a keyboard that isn't shit, uses low-profile scissor switch rubber dome keys, that also has anti-ghosting... and isn't overloaded with useless garbage I don't need... like macro keys.

It must also have a decent backlight that's not some retarded colour.

For the uninformed/ignorant; this is the type of key I am after.

Posted Image

I'm currently using the "Logitech Illuminated Keyboard". (Reference: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=8456 )

It has everything I want, EXCEPT proper anti-ghosting. I'm tired of playing games like the ARMA series where at times you need to press a number of keys on the main board, as well as the keypad all at the same time... and it just doesn't work.

That, coupled with my S key only working 3/4 of the time I press it... really, really irritates me.

Also, wireless is totally out of the question.

Any suggestions?

I've seen them on several laptop models, and I've replaced quite a few keycaps on them over the years.

I'm assuming they are used because they have less travel, and are lighter.

I can't say I've seen a desktop keyboard with the same keys however.

Edited by smadge1

Enermax Aurora uses them, Logitech Illuminated uses them, and Creative Fatal1ty "gaming" keyboard uses them.

Perhaps some others, but ones I have stumbled across aren't what I want, overall.

Aurora doesn't have any backlight, though the build quality is very, very good.

Illuminated has ghosting problems.

I used to have the Creative board and it was almost perfect (the backlight was a bit dull), but my WASD keys were screwed after 3 years of extended, daily gaming.

By that time, they were no longer available for purchase... so I settled for the Illuminated. Had it for about 6 months, but now it's annoying the hell out of me.

Negative.

I bought the Lycosa when it first came out, without doing proper research 'cause the photos I'd seen of it really looked like it had the kind of keys I was after.

It doesn't, though. The keys are flatter than standard tall-keyed keyboards, but they don't use the scissor system, so the keys were all wobbly and bad to type on.

Also the build quality felt extremely plasticy and cheap.

I took it out of the box, had a look at it, used it for 10 minutes, put it back in its box and sold it on Ebay... Lost $40.

Posted Image

Different key type. Though, the side profile, the keys don't look too high, but it's hard to say without feeling it for myself.

I'm not really into spending $80 just to find out, though... but judging from what I've seen, it's not really what I'm after.

But, for those that are into it, but dislike the "HOLY FUCK MY EYES ARE BURNING" bright red, it also comes in black.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=16479

Well, that's me out, then. I gotta admit, I'm much more interested in this Das Keyboard than what you're after. But I got to learn to type on big clicky mechanicals - a Model M was my idea of perfect.

Edited by Cybes

I've had a look at mechanicals, but the clicking would drive me insane, and the extremely tall keys would destroy my typing. :(

Have a look at the Das Keyboard Professional/Ultimate Silent models if the niise is all that's holding you back.

Took all of 3 seconds on google.

This thread was the first hit, this keyboard the second.

Zippy Slim Keyboard (BL-741) With 512 LED Backlight Colors Gradation, Wired USB 2.0, Slim and Innovative Keyboard, Anti-Ghosting Up To 10+ Keys

Manufacturer Part # BL-741

Features

Anti-Ghosting Up To 10 Plus Keys

Slim and Innovative Look

ZIPPY Patented Precision Scissor-key Structure for the Key Module

Make user type comfortable and enjoy a quiet keystroke

Patented (Applying) LED Structure

Supreme brightness and less power consumption

Supreme brightness can shine through in dark as well as can satisfy users demand

Ergonomic Design with A Pair of Rubber-padded Foot Stands

Adjustable Backlight Button(s)

The basic model will be designed with a On/ Off button to turn on/ off backlight; the advanced model will be equipped with triple-color (Red/Blue/Green) LEDs and a On/Off switch to control backlight ambience.

A Semicircle-shape Intaglio with Fashionable Hotkeys and LED Lens

Users can put their stationary or other handy stuff on the intaglio

http://thetechjournal.com/electronics/avs-...keyboard.xhtml#

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16823701034

http://www.meritline.com/zippy-usb-2-black...---p-54675.aspx

Edited by Master_Scythe

Thanks Scythe.

Despite its hideous looks, it sounds like it's what I'm after... I'll try and find some reviews. I'm left wondering what the build quality is like.

The key layout is very similar to my old Creative board, too.

I really wish I were able to buy another one of them... :(

Posted Image

Just had a quick look around, and stumbled across this; http://www.adaptablepc.com.au/index.php?ma...products_id=378

Two units in stock... but no price listed. If I add to cart, it comes up as $0.00! I sent them an e-mail enquiring about it, and hope they respond positively (and aren't scammers, hah).

Awesome, thanks!

These boards are a rarity these days. Glad to see some places still have them around.

Bookmarked for next pay day. :D

Also sent them a quick message to confirm their site listing is indeed accurate and double checking if they have stock available to ship right now.

Edited by Reb1rth.

Damn! I assumed by that you meant they were like MSY, and would possibly respond in a very abrupt, difficult to read manner. :P

master_scythe. you sir, are the greatest!!!!

reb1rth, your initial post is EXACTLY how i like my keyboards! i couldn't believe it when i read it :P i had the creative keyboard for 2 years and it was incredbile. some *** broke it though so i had to get a replacement. ended up getting a razer arctosa. ewww. worst keyboard ever. been writing a new program in the last two weeks and just couldnt take it anymore, had to try and find the rare and amazing fatal1ty keyboard again. spent soo long looking for it. so stoked that master_scythe found one. no idea how he found it! best part is, i live in bris :D ordered and will be picking it up first thing monday morning :D

thank you, thank you and thank you

edit: dropped by today... they dont have any. gotta love it when people don't update their websites.

cue search for new keyboard. what have you guys come up with?

Edited by docular

Can you enquire about their stock levels when you go and pick it up and report back to me?

I live in Melbourne, and I'm not too fond of making phone calls to people I will probably have difficulty communicating with.

Let me know how you go.

Can you enquire about their stock levels when you go and pick it up and report back to me?

I live in Melbourne, and I'm not too fond of making phone calls to people I will probably have difficulty communicating with.

Let me know how you go.

dropped by global computer group. they don't have any. would have been nice to know before they accepted my order. went to pick it up and the guy was like "oh nah its out of production". i told him i was well aware of that and he would do well to update his site in the future. and so the hunt continues.

Argh, I was afraid that'd be the case... these smaller computer places are terrible with website updates.

Well, that's annoying... I wonder if e-mailing Creative would help shed some light? I noticed it's still listed here on the Asian site; http://asia.creative.com/products/product....p;product=15332

But not on the Australian site.

But I also haven't stumbled across any Asian sites with it either, so I dunno.