Sign in to follow this  
the_13th

So my TV died

Im so sick of this shit, first my wallet is gone and now my TV has died :(

How am I supposed to save for the Canadian trip with this going on? LOL

Okay so I have to buy a new TV, I'm looking at a 32inch because I dont want to go down in size. I'd rather spend as little as possible (without wasting my money of course...)

Realistically it will ultimately become a spare TV. I do intend on buying a decent TV after the trip, probably next year but I don't want to spend that kind of money right now with the Canadian trip only 5 months away.

Realistically back in my HN days we stopped dealing with the cheap shit, Im looking as cheap as The AWA TV's that Big W sell or for that matter DSE from dick smith, Sanyo perhaps?

I know there is Kogans as well but they're not that cheap anymore and quite frankly I'm not convinced their reliable...

So I guess the question is out of the cheap and nasties are there any thats better? Anyone used an AWA or DSE for Gaming?

Edited by the_13th

Well all I can tell you is about my experience with kogan tv's, which has been great.

I or my sons own the following, 3 bluray players, 2 digital camcorders, 1 42"lcd 1080p and one 46"led (my son) and one 32" 1080p. And the 42" and the 32" we have had almost 3 years and not one hit of a problem.

As for them not being competitive on price any more I am not sure where you got that from. Check the following,

32" Full HD LED* TV with PVR $501.00

32" Full HD LCD TV with PVR $409.00

With built in dvd $489.00 or with built in bluray player $599.00

Or 100Hz series LED,

32" Full HD 100Hz LED* TV with PVR (LG Panel) - DELUXE Series $649.0

Look around the site there are plenty of good deals. :)

And a 42" full hd lcd for $629.00 for people on a budget what more can you ask for.

Edited by bowiee

check out Kogan - I recently purchased a 32" TV off them - got a free update to the next model up

you can get a brand spanka for under 500 bills (I paid $466 delivered)

they will do extended warranties, 3 and 5 year

I'm rapt in mine

Kogan LCD TV's:

http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/category/-24-32-lcd-tv/

Kogan LED TV's:

http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/category/-26-32-led-tv/

If I wanted to pay $600 fact is I could afford the base Samsung models easilly (which is my prefered brand)

This is an interestingly cheap offer...

http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/kogan-1080p-3...v-pvr-hd-tuner/

I have the money to spend it if I have to.. But I dont want to... And its stupid but this is why...

If I dont spent the money I will regret it I know this... But the fact is that $600+ dollars I have to spend to be happy with the purchase is money I NEED for the trip.

I think Ill just hold back on this and think more about it after the weekend

Thanks for the tips guys, the intelligent man in me knows ur right..

I've been highly suspicious about Kogans for a long time now, I think Bowie and I have shared our opinions on it more than once :)

Edited by the_13th

I just wonder what you base your suspicions on about Kogan products ? My recommendations are based on my experience with their products, also you can read feed back from other customers and reviews on their products at other sites like those listed in the link.

Plus you don't stay in business long if you have a crap product, let alone expand into other countries. :) And as OBA pointed out you can also extend your warranty up to 5 years. I guess I support Kogan because it is an Australian company, but really my main reason is that they deliver a great product at a very reasonable price unlike some "name brands" out there.

By the way OBA I am glad you like your purchase. :)

thanks bowiee!

the only person in australia that really dislikes Kogan is Gerry Norman - he started swearing and going off at the mention of them.

that was good enough reason for me to try them, and ultimately recommend them as a product.

My suspicion comes from the early days when they had LG panels in everything, which at the time had the worst return rate. Once bitten twice shy I guess..

They've expanded in to other area's these days I've seen, not having an actual person to go and see should I come across an issue bugs me but I saw last night that Kogan pay for all the shipping costs as part of the warranty service so that changes that in a big way..

So I guess I don't have a legit reason left

Also I think u mean Gerry Harvey :P

Edited by the_13th

If I did go Kogan's this would be the one I'd be looking at.. I'm not a fan of build in DVD players Ive always had them scratch the hell out of my discs so don't trust them... Plus Im tryin NOT to spend money on stuff I dont need, so I'll invest in that kind of stuff After August.

I realise I sound like a cheap skate but I want to save another $4000 between now and August and its going to be hard enough as it is without these expenses, Im going to have a casual look around for 2nd hand before I do anything, I might get lucky

Edited by the_13th

My suspicion comes from the early days when they had LG panels in everything, which at the time had the worst return rate. Once bitten twice shy I guess..

They've expanded in to other area's these days I've seen, not having an actual person to go and see should I come across an issue bugs me but I saw last night that Kogan pay for all the shipping costs as part of the warranty service so that changes that in a big way..

So I guess I don't have a legit reason left

Also I think u mean Gerry Harvey :P

yeh, I always manage to fuck up his name.....

If I did go Kogan's this would be the one I'd be looking at.. I'm not a fan of build in DVD players Ive always had them scratch the hell out of my discs so don't trust them... Plus Im tryin NOT to spend money on stuff I dont need, so I'll invest in that kind of stuff After August.

I realise I sound like a cheap skate but I want to save another $4000 between now and August and its going to be hard enough as it is without these expenses, Im going to have a casual look around for 2nd hand before I do anything, I might get lucky

that's the model that I originally ordered, but they were out of stock and sent me the next model up, which has a DVD player etc.

this one:

http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/32-full-hd-lc...-digital-tuner/

Edited by osama_bin_athlon

Otherwise if saving the dosh is so important just fit a tv tuner card to your PC and use that to watch some TV.

Your priorities seem conflicted as you don't want to spend the money, but want a 32" tv. Sort out what is the most important.

As you said

Realistically it will ultimately become a spare TV. I do intend on buying a decent TV after the trip

another option is to get a smaller cheaper TV to tide you over till you get back from Canada.

Just fit a tv tuner card to your PC and use that to watch some TV.

Thats actually a good idea, the idea had never occured to me...

Your priorities seem conflicted as you don't want to spend the money, but want a 32" tv.

Yes you're right its very conflicted, the reason I was looking at 32" is basically because although I want cheap, I also dont see the point in spending money on something I will be unhappy with, the TV I am having to replace is an old 80cm. And although I could pick up a 22" or something cheaper the difference is hardly worth it and ultimately I wont be happy with it and then its been a waste of money.

The TV's main use is for the Xbox 360. And it occurs to me that the TV card wont work for that. (shame my monitor doesnt have HDMI)

-------------------------------------------

Okay, time to stop beating around the bush and lay my cards on the table.

Firstly I need to quit being conflicted and decide what matters.

If I spend the money this fourtnight on the TV instead of the savings will it mean I can't go away? Well no just makes it tighter for the next 5 months and I think I can deal with that..

Edited by the_13th

yet another alternative (and this may sound drastic) is to do away with TV altogether for a few months. See how it feels.

For the whole of 2007 and most of 2010 I did not have TV in my home, and it didn't take long to get over it. Ended up watching DVDs, playing consoles and occasionally asking everyone's favourite Uncle for some content.

Nowadays we have TV but I absolutely cannot stand all the goddamn ads. They're so loud and annoying, and I can't just ctrl-tab to a different site while I wait for the thing to play out (channel-surfing doesn't work for two reasons: (1) moar ads on other channels and (2) shows I don't want to watch on other channels). I end up ragequitting most of the time and heading off to YouTube or some gaming.

Srsly, give it a go.

EDIT: didn't see you need the screen for the Xbox 360.

Your monitor would have D-Sub, right? $50 cable to connect that to the 360. Alternatively HDMI-DVI cables are pretty darn cheap (I use one to run my PC through my TV ^__^). Of course you also have to get the sound out of the 360, but appropriate cable/converter + whatever speakers your PC uses now should be <$20.

Edited by thesorehead

thesorehead, you make a point I have thought about as well...

The main uses...

- Streaming video from my PC to the TV (via the Xbox 360)

Yeah fine, I can do it on the monitor, no issue...

- Xbox 360.

My monitor doesn't have HDMI so thats an issue, but there are work arounds for that.. Whats thw worst thing if I cant use it? Well I paid for 12 months of XBL and Ill have 5 months of it wasted... But really the end of the world though

- Shows not available via the net...

Well the only one I really care about missing is the Footy Show, I've never been able to find that on the net but Im sure if I look hard enough I'd find it..

It is a viable option. And maybe worth it.

yet another alternative (and this may sound drastic) is to do away with TV altogether for a few months. See how it feels.

For the whole of 2007 and most of 2010 I did not have TV in my home, and it didn't take long to get over it. Ended up watching DVDs, playing consoles and occasionally asking everyone's favourite Uncle for some content.

Nowadays we have TV but I absolutely cannot stand all the goddamn ads. They're so loud and annoying, and I can't just ctrl-tab to a different site while I wait for the thing to play out (channel-surfing doesn't work for two reasons: (1) moar ads on other channels and (2) shows I don't want to watch on other channels). I end up ragequitting most of the time and heading off to YouTube or some gaming.

Srsly, give it a go.

PVR/Foxtel box, so I skip through the ads in seconds. Plus kogan tv's come with PVR FTW.

the_13th - ahahaha post-tag! It's the new phone-tag!

So weird that Nine wouldn't put Footy Show episodes up on their streaming site. Every other bloody thing seems to be there! :--D

I've never really been a devoted fan of a live TV program like that, so that's an issue I didn't face. Got my sci-fi fix (faster than the .au broadcast anyway) via torrents.

bowiee - I'll admit, that's a cool feature and one of the reasons I was leaning heavily towards Kogan before succumbing to my fanboi-ish tendencies and going with Samsung. One of my more rational reasons was also pretty personal: my own experiences showed me that I don't care about TV. I've only ever watched it by happenstance, and then I often end up vegetating rather than engaging with my entertainment.

so as usual it's a matter of horses for courses - but I reckon that like long hair or a moustache, living without TV for a bit is something that everyone should try, just to see what it's like. Although, maybe the ladies could skip the mo'.

the_13th - ahahaha post-tag! It's the new phone-tag!

Post tag is a fun game :P

So weird that Nine wouldn't put Footy Show episodes up on their streaming site. Every other bloody thing seems to be there! :--D

I'll have to check it out see if they put it up this year

One thing I do hate is that this damned 80cm TV weights a tonne, f**k knows how Im getting rid of it...lol

but thats besides the point, at this stage if I do buy from Kogans it will most likely be the one indicated above. I'm going to check a few places over the weekend before making a decition though.

regardless of the decition, its just a damned TV, I shouldnt get annoyed over something so trivial :P

I think thats it for now guys I'll let you know how I get on

Edited by the_13th

I'm going to check a few places over the weekend before making a decition though.

Always a good idea in case a bricks and mortar place has something on special at a decent price.

What here is what I have decided to do...

I'm going to "save" 200 for the next 3 fourtnights which allows me to continue with the planned holiday budget and get the TV. So in a month and a half I'll have $600 to spend replacing the TV.

So I'll recheck prices and comparisons late april or early may.

So for now the issue is resolved... Thanks again for the tips

Edited by the_13th

Or you could buy now by taking money out of your savings, and replacing that money with your "saved" $200 each fortnight. ;)

Or you could buy now by taking money out of your savings, and replacing that money with your "saved" $200 each fortnight. ;)

True but I've already ordered the foreign cash now :P

But I'm a budget planning person, kind of forcing myself to save stops me from wasting money. Its a self discipline thing

Edit: Cancelled the cash order.. ;)

Edited by the_13th

Okay so, in a mixture of impulse buying (naughty naughty)..

And a hint of recognising a good bargain (yay good boy) I placed my order today.

Kogans "Frugal Friday" deal was a 40" LCD (the Samsung Panel model) for $489, brilliant deal.

Should recieve it near the end of next week, grabbed some of the cheap HDMI cables while I was at it cause I'll need them anyway and at $3 each Im be stupid not to...

Linkage: http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/kogan-1080p-4...v-pvr-hd-tuner/

Just means I now have to replace that money and be a good boy from here on out

Edited by the_13th