Sign in to follow this  
the_13th

So my TV died

Okay so, in a mixture of impulse buying (naughty naughty)..

And a hint of recognising a good bargain (yay good boy) I placed my order today.

Kogans "Frugal Friday" deal was a 40" LCD (the Samsung Panel model) for $489, brilliant deal.

Should recieve it near the end of next week, grabbed some of the cheap HDMI cables while I was at it cause I'll need them anyway and at $3 each Im be stupid not to...

Linkage: http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/kogan-1080p-4...v-pvr-hd-tuner/

Just means I now have to replace that money and be a good boy from here on out

Damn that's a bloody good price dude.

Okay so, in a mixture of impulse buying (naughty naughty)..

And a hint of recognising a good bargain (yay good boy) I placed my order today.

Kogans "Frugal Friday" deal was a 40" LCD (the Samsung Panel model) for $489, brilliant deal.

Should recieve it near the end of next week, grabbed some of the cheap HDMI cables while I was at it cause I'll need them anyway and at $3 each Im be stupid not to...

Linkage: http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/kogan-1080p-4...v-pvr-hd-tuner/

Just means I now have to replace that money and be a good boy from here on out

Damn that's a bloody good price dude.

Thats the only reason I bought it today and not next week.

And if my (and many many others) experience is anything to go by you should have no problems at all. :)

And if my (and many many others) experience is anything to go by you should have no problems at all. :)

Damn you lot. Decided to finally upgrade my SD Samsung so now I also have a Kogan on the way plus one for my mother who has a horrible old CRT TV with dodgy speakers.

Went for the more expensive 40" Full HD LED* TV with PVR (Samsung Panel)

http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/40-full-hd-le...-samsung-panel/

Should be good for watching the MotoGP and Moto2.

And the 26" Full HD LED* TV with PVR

http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/26-full-hd-le...ogan-elite-led/

for my mother.

Got a decent price for the cattle so can finally afford a non-essential luxury purchase.

Ahh another convert.....................kneel my son. But really I am not sure why people are happy to buy a cheap brand tv with an unknown panel from say jb hifi when on a budget (or not), yet are reluctant to buy a Kogan even though they can also purchase very cheaply an extended 3 or 5 year warranty. And unlike other brands of tv's their product has come under the microscope like no other, and all that has revealed is that it's a good quality product. :)

Ahh another convert.....................kneel my son. But really I am not sure why people are happy to buy a cheap brand tv with an unknown panel from say jb hifi when on a budget (or not), yet are reluctant to buy a Kogan

Some just like to go in to a store and physically see the thing they are buying. Plus warranty returns are easier with a B&M store, whereas with Kogan you have to freight it back to them for warranty.

I do find it interesting that Kogan have gone fully paperless office (according to them). Even to the point the manuals are download only no included paper manual. Don't often see that.

As for a convert well will see what I think when they get here, but from helping a local guy with his 32" Kogan, should be fine.

Only time he had a TV issue he contacted Kogan who made a suggestion which fixed the odd glitch he had. Basically the UI locked up and was not responding to the remote. Disconnecting from the mains power for a couple of minutes seems to have sorted it and the issue has not re-occurred after several months, so the owner may have been mashing the remote buttons too fast or something.

Edited by aliali

Well I was looking really hard for a bad review but couldn't find one so I was convinced to go that way...

Im looking forward to getting it, should arrive by the end of next week :)

Ahh another convert.....................kneel my son. But really I am not sure why people are happy to buy a cheap brand tv with an unknown panel from say jb hifi when on a budget (or not), yet are reluctant to buy a Kogan

Some just like to go in to a store and physically see the thing they are buying. Plus warranty returns are easier with a B&M store, whereas with Kogan you have to freight it back to them for warranty.

I do find it interesting that Kogan have gone fully paperless office (according to them). Even to the point the manuals are download only no included paper manual. Don't often see that.

As for a convert well will see what I think when they get here, but from helping a local guy with his 32" Kogan, should be fine.

Only time he had a TV issue he contacted Kogan who made a suggestion which fixed the odd glitch he had. Basically the UI locked up and was not responding to the remote. Disconnecting from the mains power for a couple of minutes seems to have sorted it and the issue has not re-occurred after several months, so the owner may have been mashing the remote buttons too fast or something.

er...if something happens to go wrong with it, Kogan pay all freight costs.

;)

;)

Yes, that is actually swerved me in the end. :)

;)

Yes I know that, but you still have to box it up and freight it back to them, besides I was just mentioning that their support actually seems contactable which is good.

This is why some people still prefer to buy from a B&M store. Any warranty return can be taken straight back, and in some cases a direct swap is provided on the spot. This happened with a lady up the road just last week. Harvey Norman just gave here a replacement TV for her 2 year old one that had stuffed it's audio (3 year warranty).

;)

Yes I know that, but you still have to box it up and freight it back to them, besides I was just mentioning that their support actually seems contactable which is good.

This is why some people still prefer to buy from a B&M store. Any warranty return can be taken straight back, and in some cases a direct swap is provided on the spot. This happened with a lady up the road just last week. Harvey Norman just gave here a replacement TV for her 2 year old one that had stuffed it's audio (3 year warranty).

In a way kogan is even better, all you do (which is what I did) is keep your box the tv arrives in. Just flatten it and slide it against the wall in your tool shed or garage ect. If you need to send it back you have the box, and unlike a B&M store where you may have to wrestle your tv into your car and drive it to place of purchase then struggle into the store with it for return, a courier will come to your door and pick it up then return it as well.

If you have a 40" plus size tv, as I do, being able to just get someone to help you place it back in it's box sounds much easier to me.

TV set up (mostly).. Having trouble getting the HDM I from my PC to the Tv going

What problems you having and what video card?

If an ATI be aware that if using a DVI to HDMI converter then only one of the DVI ports supports audio through the dvi cable. So if no sound use the other DVI port.

At least that was the case with the 3 or 4 series cards.

eVGA 1GB GTX460

Basically wont detect the HDMI, I cant figure out how the hell to get it to work.

Do I have to install something different for it to detect them?

Yeah I tried looking on that but the Control panel doesnt see the TV at all, if the cable is faulty Im going to be ****king pissed off because its too late to claim it faulty and I wont know if it is until I buy a new one, it was brand new still in the graphics card box (because this is my first HD TV).

Surely it should be just like adding any other TV or monitor???

Should be dude should be. So yes possibly a dodgy cable is the cause of your problems.

Unfortunately can't try anything here on my old Samsung as I only seem to have ATI GFX cards.

The Graphics card has a "mini hdmi" port and came with the cable accordingly (meaning I wasted my money buying a spare hdmi cable I didnt need...lol)

I'll wait till tonight and start a new thread regarding the issue.

TV looks brilliant so far otherwise (not that Ive had much chance to play with it yet)

The Graphics card has a "mini hdmi" port and came with the cable accordingly (meaning I wasted my money buying a spare hdmi cable I didnt need...lol)

I'll wait till tonight and start a new thread regarding the issue.

Ah always handy to have a spare HDMI cable IMO.

With the Nvidia card, there is not a setting somewhere in the Nvidia software to switch between DVI and mini-HDMI out is there? Just a though that these cards might be set up as an either/or output on on dvi port.

TV looks brilliant so far otherwise (not that Ive had much chance to play with it yet)

Good stuff, according to Toll Ipec mine was sorted to destination midnight Monday. So will probably arrive Thursday or Friday if I am lucky and depending on their Bass Strait shipping schedule.

Good stuff, according to Toll Ipec mine was sorted to destination midnight Monday. So will probably arrive Thursday or Friday if I am lucky and depending on their Bass Strait shipping schedule.

Ah a Tasmanian obviously. Will be interesting to see how long it takes, where you down Hobart way? I recon you'll find it will come via the spirit and then get shipped down, so your looking at a couple of days Id say, I was lucky, being in melbourne now means it arrived very quickly.

Ah always handy to have a spare HDMI cable IMO.

With the Nvidia card, there is not a setting somewhere in the Nvidia software to switch between DVI and mini-HDMI out is there? Just a though that these cards might be set up as an either/or output on on dvi port.

I had a long hard look through the Nvidia Control Panel, I even searched the website (looking at the link someone posted last night) but basically it all says it should just be there to select, Im trying to run it as a "second monitor" but I cant even select it as a primary monitor.

Im thinking cable, but now I have to figure out where to get a spare one without someone asking for a body part.

And as far as the cable is concerened, for $3 I completely agree with you ;)

Edited by the_13th

Im thinking cable, but now I have to figure out where to get a spare one without someone asking for a body part.

Ah ye that can be a problem the way some AV shops charge for the bloody things.

I've tried a couple of computer stores without any luck, the most realistic option is ebay or the Nvidia store at this stage. (19.99 on the Nvidia store website.)

For now, the Xbox can stream media onto it anyway so its not really that big of a deal. :) Thankfully.

I have nothing on tonight so Ill sit down to a movie and enjoy it...

So for now its Thankyou in advance to those that swayed me away from buying a cheap piece of crap :)

Edited by the_13th

I've tried a couple of computer stores without any luck, the most realistic option is ebay or the Nvidia store at this stage. (19.99 on the Nvidia store website.)

http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search...MI-2&spos=1

http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search...MI-3&spos=1

Grabbed the part numbers from the wholesaler Anyware.

http://www.anyware.com.au/mini%20hdmi.aspx...00&Search=1