Sign in to follow this  
the_13th

So my TV died

Looks like a standard HDMI to min HDMI so yes should work.

While cables can fail (even from new) would be nice to try and test the cable you have to see if it is actually faulty not something weirder.

Oh just a thought too.

I seem to remember some people having issues detecting an HDMI connected screen to a PC if the screen was not turned on and set to the correct input before the PC is turned on. Now while this is stupid as the screen should be detected once connected with the PC on I do remember some people having this issue on another forum.

So check the above, just in case.

I might double check that idea first BEFORE buying a cable and then having an argument about returning it :P

And as I said, I can stream via Xbox for now anyway

Okay, its official the cable must be dead. Well its either that or the graphics card so i'll grab a new cable on pay day next week and test it. :)

Till then the Xbox will do just fine...

Watches couple of DVD's on it last night, was awesome

Okay, its official the cable must be dead. Well its either that or the graphics card so i'll grab a new cable on pay day next week and test it. :)

Till then the Xbox will do just fine...

Watches couple of DVD's on it last night, was awesome

I knew you would be happy, lets see what that crazy old farmer says when he gets his set up. ;)

I knew you would be happy, lets see what that crazy old farmer says when he gets his set up. ;)

Gonna be a little while as "Expected dispatch date: 29th April 2011". Got the one for me and the one for my mother mixed up re availability, so going have to put up with the 32" Samsung SD TV for a while .:P

After some grumbling about how she doesn't need a new tv mum seems to be happy with hers, especially considering the new one replaces an old 18" crt with a mono speaker and SD STB. So one less remote to worry about, and much clearer picture and audio.

Plus she can actually see the screen without the massive cropping she was getting on the 4:3 CRT.

Gonna be a little while as "Expected dispatch date: 29th April 2011". Got the one for me and the one for my mother mixed up re availability, so going have to put up with the 32" Samsung SD TV for a while .:P

Bugger ! The wait would kill me lol. But it will be worth it. :)

Plus she can actually see the screen without the massive cropping she was getting on the 4:3 CRT.

That alone makes it worth buying a new set.

At the risk of murphy's law coming in to play, I want to say...

I was wrong about Kogans build & picture quality..

At the risk of murphy's law coming in to play, I want to say...

I was wrong about Kogans build & picture quality..

I know that I'm perfectly happy with my Kogan TV - I can't fault it.

beats paying twice as much for the same thing (branded differently) from HN's.

I know that I'm perfectly happy with my Kogan TV - I can't fault it.

beats paying twice as much for the same thing (branded differently) from HN's.

Well it has arrived and it only just fits in the tv space so I got my measurements right.

First thoughts? Big, but I don't like the stand, seems a bit fragile for the weight of the TV. Base is good and heavy it is just the perspex tube bit that seems a bit iffy.

Haven't had a chance to really try it out yet but setup was easy and I think the tv tuner is a tad stronger than the Samsung. Lacks a bit in IO compared to the Samsung in particular no RCA audio out but I knew that before purchasing.

Suppose I will have to upgrade my stereo system one day and then I could use the optical out, in the meantime if I want to use my old amp and speakers for additional noise I will have to use a headphone to RCA adapter.

Might sit down and watch some tv and a video this evening and see what i think about the screen itself.

Well it has arrived and it only just fits in the tv space so I got my measurements right.

First thoughts? Big, but I don't like the stand, seems a bit fragile for the weight of the TV. Base is good and heavy it is just the perspex tube bit that seems a bit iffy.

Haven't had a chance to really try it out yet but setup was easy and I think the tv tuner is a tad stronger than the Samsung. Lacks a bit in IO compared to the Samsung in particular no RCA audio out but I knew that before purchasing.

Suppose I will have to upgrade my stereo system one day and then I could use the optical out, in the meantime if I want to use my old amp and speakers for additional noise I will have to use a headphone to RCA adapter.

Might sit down and watch some tv and a video this evening and see what i think about the screen itself.

Well what do you think of it now you have had the chance to use it a bit.

Edited by bowiee

Definitely clearer than the SD Samsung. Odd thing is when watching shows that are filmed on sets the picture seems more "setty" if you get my drift. That is it is more obvious that the filming has been done on a set.

Not sure if this is because of the larger screen, the higher resolution or that the Kogan is a gloss screen compared to the Samsungs matte finish.

Haven't watched a DVD yet (and don't have a BR player) but will give Ironman or something similar a try out one evening.

Xvids and MKvs played through the PVR seem fine.

Audio wise speakers lack somewhat, but not surprising in TV speakers. Will really have to get a new sound system when I can afford, something a bit more compact would be better.

Real test will be the next MotoGp on the 1 May.

Yea I know what you mean about "setty" it sort of comes across like a recording of a live play, yes ? I use the speakers for normal tv watching but have a 5.1 sound system for bluray. Time for you to grab a Kogan bluray player as well. :)

Edited by bowiee

Yea I know what you mean about "setty" it sort of comes across like a recording of a live play, yes ? I use the speakers for normal tv watching but have a 5.1 sound system for bluray. Time for you to grab a Kogan bluray player as well. :)

And a Kogan Soundbar with Wireless Subwoofer - 75W SRS Surround Sound to go with it?

:P

Not really after 5.1 just too awkward for my house.

Although I do have a a set of Avlabs avl325 5.1s jammed in to the corner on my PC but if I was getting new PC speakers I would just go 2.1 as well.