mark84

Firefox 4 is out!

Yes, I hate the new FF4 cache system. That's why I still use IE because they make it easy.

Mind you finding stuff in the old cache was hard enough with that stupid naming system they have.

Edited by Jeruselem

does about:cache help?

No, it does not.

How about:

Tools > Page Info > Media?

This is usually my first stop if I want to save something from a page (short of just right clicking and save image as).

Edited by mark84

This week for the first time I ditched FF in favour of Chrome across my 4 main machines. 10 tabs open uses under 3% of cpu, the same on FF would use 25%+

FOr a point of comparison, my current 428 tabs are using perhaps 5% CPU time - it fluctuates between 2% and 15%. I am too lazy to work out if it's flash or javascript or something else, but some pages definitely don't like FF. That being said, I've had similar issues with Chrome. Perhaps it's more accurate to say that no browser really likes staying open for weeks at a time with lots of tabs, and lots of closed tabs cached.

No, it does not.

How about:

This is usually my first stop if I want to save something from a page (short of just right clicking and save image as).

Nice idea but doesn't work either.

I've got the Easy Youtube Video Downloader extension installed, and that works like a dream, but if you go to the occasional video link from some other website that has a video file, usually some proprietary media service, EYTVDL doesn't work...and you used to be able to grab it from the cache.

it's good. but some of the default selections are really annoying, like where the home button is placed and having tabs on top.

Exactly! The first 3 days that I've used Firefox 4, I've always been wondering where the menu bar is. I discovered just yesterday you can display it by pressing ALT key.

Also, it seems that it keeps on hanging or giving a lag to my laptop. I'm not just sure if it's because of this browser I'm experiencing this.

The alphas and betas for 4.0 were around for over a year, if your addons aren't updated by now then there's a good chance it's time to find new addons (or check to see if you can trivially update them yourself).

The alphas and betas for 4.0 were around for over a year, if your addons aren't updated by now then there's a good chance it's time to find new addons (or check to see if you can trivially update them yourself).

Various methods of doing that are outlined here in the programming section.

Edited by Antraman

FF5 is now available according to my updater in FF4.

I'll try it soon

To be honest, I liked Firefox 4, but switched to Chrome

The performance just wasn't there for me

So I went from FF4.0.1 straight to 5.0. Why not just 4.0.2?

Apparently they are now the same numbering system as Opera and Chrome now.

Wow, so many positive comments in this thread.

I've been using Chrome exclusively for quite some time now. Installed FF for shits and giggles. Woah, man oh man, FF is a pile of steaming poo. Chrome is much, much faster for me. On several different machines. Don't even get me started on how IE is also a steaming pile of poo. More stale and dry, less steam.

Upgraded to 5 this afternoon after doing no backups or anything. Pleasantly surprised to see that nothing went wrong.

Upgraded to 5 this afternoon after doing no backups or anything. Pleasantly surprised to see that nothing went wrong.

Well, considering 5.0 isn't that different to 4.01 ...

500+ tabs open does weird things to browsers.

Like make some upgrades not restore them all.

No, it does not.

How about:

Nice idea but doesn't work either.

I've got the Easy Youtube Video Downloader extension installed, and that works like a dream, but if you go to the occasional video link from some other website that has a video file, usually some proprietary media service, EYTVDL doesn't work...and you used to be able to grab it from the cache.

Just came across this:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/mozilla_cache_viewer.html

I'm using DownloadHelper, it seems to be able to download any embedded videos, and even has a list of all the different available qualities to choose from.

Yeah it serves good enough for me. Wish i could get the premium and be able to convert though.