bnew

Buying an mp3 player today- choices other than Ipod?

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy an mp3 player as a present for someone in the near future. Features that I would like:

-Able to play mp3, wma, FLAC etc

-Doesn't require any special software loaded on the computer for it to work (ie, you plug it in and it shows up as a removable disk)

-Capacity of at least 2GB, 4GB or above would be better though

Some additional features that would be nice, but not essential:

-Built in mic / ability to use as a sound recorder

-Use a standard type of battery that is easy to source / replace

I used to have a couple of Creative brand mp3 players that pretty much ticked all of the boxes above, but I'm not sure if these can still be had new?

Budget is around $100. Any suggestions?

Thanks

If you need the device to act like a USB drive, then iPod won't even be an option for you. My iPod touch shows up as a camera device that's not writable.

Anyhting that will run this:

http://www.rockbox.org/

Keep in mind, they do support FLAC, but on some players it can lag or cut out purely because of the size and lack of buffer.

My oldschool ipod photo plays em fine, but while playing them the interface is slow.

Ive never used a nicer combo than an ipod+rockbox, if you can get your hands on a second hand one, I'd do it.

Then again, iRiver has always been a lighter player, with both onboard storage and full support for SDHC, you get some decent cheap storage.

Hit iriver up I recon.

EDIT: for removable batteries, you'll need to go a yumcha brand player. Otherwise, MP3 WAV and OGG natively on iriver, and FLAC with rockbox installed.

Edited by Master_Scythe

Thanks for the replies.

That Sony looks okay. I've heard of rockbox but I didn't realise that it could do so much (Doom on an mp3 player!!). Might be an option.

I love my E455, it's a slick player, awesome interface, great sound quality. Plastic, weighs nothing, slips in to my back pocket and goes where I go, and I sync with with WMP :)

A few months back, I was shopping for a MP3 player as a Christmas present for a very close friend.

While it doesn't support FLAC, this is what I ended up with and I liked it so well that I'm still tempted to buy one for myself.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Walkman-NWZS545...r/dp/B002IPHA3A

This one is about twice the price, but if I wanted FLAC support, this would probably be my pick.

http://www.amazon.com/Cowon-Video-Player-T...O/ref=pd_cp_e_2

The S-series are really nice, but they didn't have the 16Gb available in malaysia :(