Sign in to follow this  
Director

Why can't I network this printer?

Ok the situation is that a client had to replace their old desktop PC, the new one is running Windows 7 64 bit, so far so good, the printer (Canon MP610) installs and works fine and W7 sees it as a 'Canon Inkjet MP610 series'. Now they have a laptop running Vista 32bit...the printer installs and works fine on that too as a standalone.

Now to the problem.

I'm trying to get it so that the laptop can print to the printer while the printer is plugged into the main (W7) PC, shouldn't be too hard, share the printer off you go right? Wrong.

I can browse to the desktop and the printer from the laptop but I try to connect I get a message along the lines of 'The server doesn't have the right drivers installed'. So I figure this is a problem between 64 bit and 32 bit right?

So I DL the latest 32 bit drivers from Canon go to the printer properties on the W7 machine, go to 'additional drivers', check the x86 box which then prompts me for the .inf file (which I extracted from the Canon driver .zip previously), point it to the .inf file and get a 'info for this printer not found' error. *sigh*

Did some googling and apparently sometimes the .inf file has to be massaged a bit so that the name in the file matches the name that windows 7 uses. In this case widows 7 sees 'Canon Inkjet MP610 series' but in the .inf file it's 'Canon MP610 Series Printer' so I modded the .ini file so that they are the same but keep getting the 'info not found' error.

Another trick is to fool the client computer by setting up the printer as a 'local' printer but pointing it to the network path where the printer is, that just resulted in "cannot find the specified path".

In the end I gave up, so if anyone here knows what I'm doing wrong then please let me know.

Cheers

Cheers, looks similar to what I tried but got the 'can't find the specified path' error so I'll try it that way and let you know what happens.

Hope it works out dude, shame i cant emulate the problem I have win 7 and a very similar model printer but i dont really have a vista or a 32 bit rig going atm.

While the error does not suggest this as a problem you do have file and printer sharing enabled on the 64 bit PC? And you have allowed File and printer sharing to receive connections from the LAN through your firewall?

While the error does not suggest this as a problem you do have file and printer sharing enabled on the 64 bit PC? And you have allowed File and printer sharing to receive connections from the LAN through your firewall?

yes and yes. :P

Like I said, it can see the printer and an attempted connection gives the 'server has the wrong driver' message, if they weren't talking I'd assume you wouldn't see the printer from the lappy in the first place?

Also, make sure the permissions on your shared printer are allowing 'everybody'. (Or whatever suits your network.)

I had a mountain of problems mapping to a shared printer that was plugged into my Windows 7 machine for some reason. Even though I had all the drivers.