3dmark master

Atomic 3DMark & Game Benchmark Rankings

Updated!

Dasa those are some dam impressive gains from the previous. I know you were not trying much before but still nice bump in scores!

Can wait till we get some new AMD cards on here soon!

thanks gamble im rather pleased with how this old girl still chugs along funny thing is i can probably flash my cards so that there called r9-280x

managed to edge it up a little more

13713 Dasa - i7 2600K@5.1GHz(w) - CF 7970@1200\1700

also gave firestrike extreme a go since picking it up from the steam sale

7412 http://www.3dmark.com/fs/975116

Finally got around to benching my setup now I got my new ram. I did these while using the buggy beta nvidia drivers that are for the BF4 beta. And I had some SLI GPU load utilization issues where both cards spikes between 100% and 50% load a in some of the tests giving back some very low FPS spikes mid test. New official drivers are due at the end of the month inline with the release of BF4 so ill give it another go then. hopefully i can crack the 10k in FS and 14K in '11 like others similar to me are getting.

Firestrike

9860 Modz - i5 2500K@4.7GHz(w) - SLI GTX760@1355/7326

3DMark11

12752 Modz - i5 2500K@4.7GHz(w) - SLI GTX760@1355/7326

Updated!

Dasa those are some dam impressive gains from the previous. I know you were not trying much before but still nice bump in scores!

Can wait till we get some new AMD cards on here soon!

I think it's fair to say that 7970's will go down in GPU history as one of the greats on the era.

Edited by Modz

maybe even metro last light although i dont think there is a need to run three passes like i did

Posted Image

Ok finally got around to benching using some better clocks and the newest official drivers 331.58. And as predicted much better SLI scaling.

Although the current 3dmark11 sysinfo has some known issues with overclocked ram beyond 2133 being detected correctly on some motherboards that don't officially support it. I have my new vengeance pro clocked @ 2213Mhz up from 2133 and 3dmark11 & CPU-Z both don't detect it correctly. This means my 3dmark11 result through up a "Time measurement data error". Which confirmed on the futuremark forums is still an official results, just some leader board sites might not allow it. So I'll leave that up to you guys to decided weather or not it legit in your eyes. The error seems to come up even running 1600 & 1866 ram profiles and stock clocks. So any score i get with 3dmark11 atm means it has the error. :( I'll run it again in the future when a newer sysinfo is out, but atm it looks like that elusive 14k target i was aiming for was missed by 1 mark.

Also the new drivers had an effect on how stable my card runs in SLI mode. I can no longer run my fastest card high than the other one during either 3dmark 11 or 13 anymore. Even know it's stable on it's own they refuse to play ball together when running different clocks. One cards does 1355/7308, while the newest is limited to 1300/6898.

Firestrike

10040 Modz - i5 2500K@4.7GHz(w) - SLI GTX760@1300/6898

3DMark11

13999 Modz - i5 2500K@4.7GHz(w) - SLI GTX760@1290/6898

oops

just toasted the his 7970 put it on water got into windows temps were nice gpu\vrm ~25c and then poof bright flash and smoke from under the vrm

the vrm heatsink i that i took of a x1900xtx and trimmed to fit must have shorted whether it was the arctic adhesive thermal paste had spilled over the end of the vrm a little or the heatsink touching a component im not sure

guess i should have been more careful

shame it would have been fun to see if it clocked any better on water

oh well back to a single 7970 for a while i guess

Edited by Dasa

ouch, that will do it. I did a similar thing to my old 2900 XT converting it to a water setup with a modded vrm sink.

Modz - that 3dmark11 score would drive me nutz!

Dasa - Have to break something in order to justify the reason to upgrade? .... You could have just sold it you know lol.

Did a few runs since its been a few driver updates so I flashed the bios on the Titan for some benching. Normally just keep it at around 1150c/3400m.

gamble

11282 gamble - 3770k 4.9ghz(w) / EVGA SC GTX Titan 1215c/3750m(w)

On the next update will probably add Metro and possibly Catzilla... thoughts?

Tell me about it, when it came up with that i just went, "motherfucker, 1 point off my target". I was benching 3dmark13 for a few hours testing different clock mixes before switched to straight 3dmark11. I got that score on my first pass and after talking to the futuremark mod about the timing thing I rebooted and tried to go again. Then couldn't get a full pass without it being unstable.

Seems if i bench using 3dmark13 until i reach peak speeds, then run 3dmark11 straight away i get a smooth run through at good clocks. but then if i let things cool off and then try running 3dmark11 i can't get within 20Mhz of the same clocks speeds as i did with '13. I kept getting 13,890 or 13,950. so the first run was the best lol. Maybe with newer drivers in the future i can get a bit luckier. I know it's within reach atleast.

man I bet you might be able to move the blck up just a bit to get the extra 1pts or maybe you can lower your ram timing by 1?

Like you, if I start it cold it will almost every time lock on my highest settings. I know that if I set my card a bit slower and run it once or twice then I have a few extra mhz to bump it up. If my drivers fail, I have to reboot or the bench will freeze even if I lower the mhz.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

This'll take some beating... for a little while anyway.

Then I'll crank the clocks.

;-)

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

You should chuck that up on hwbot. no one has posted 2 way score yet, it will earn you a gold medal. Also mate of mine is getting almost 19k with a pair of 780's with an average OC on them. That should give you a good target to aim for when you OC.

;-)

Awesome scores!

Hows the noise level on the card while idle and when gaming?

I'm interested in getting one, but not if it's going to sound like a garden blower :)

Guest xyzzy frobozz

;-)

Awesome scores!

Hows the noise level on the card while idle and when gaming?

I'm interested in getting one, but not if it's going to sound like a garden blower :)

To be honest, not as bad as I had expected.

Do you game headphone or speaker? In quiet mode they're acceptable, but they reach 95c pretty easily which means they clock down to around 850Mhz in quiet mode, whereas in uber mode they will keep cranking the fan.

They are toasty bastards, idling at 57c and 51c.

worth trying to undervolt them i wonder?

7970ghz use 1.2v to run 1050mhz but my 7970 only needs 1.1v to run 1100mhz

that little bit of extra v puts power use and heat up by almost a quarter

Guest xyzzy frobozz

worth trying to undervolt them i wonder?

7970ghz use 1.2v to run 1050mhz but my 7970 only needs 1.1v to run 1100mhz

that little bit of extra v puts power use and heat up by almost a quarter

Good point!

I actually over-volted to do a 3D Mark run and I can tell you that they can run at least at 1200Mhz. It's weird, I have them spaced a slot away from each other, yet one runs near 20c hotter than the other.

I got a 1200MHz run from one, but the other throttled to 850MHz when it hit 95c.

These cards are really impressive and are going to be a water-coolers.... wet..... dream!

;-)

be kinda funny and a first if these cards could be made faster than stock by undervolting them as far as you can while maintaining stability so that they dont throttle as hard

the back of a card can radiate a bit of heat to the next but i wouldnt expect that to account for a full 20c difference case airflow can do funny things though sometimes developing hot pockets

it also make me wonder if the mount is as good on one card as it is on the other

Guest xyzzy frobozz

be kinda funny and a first if these cards could be made faster than stock by undervolting them as far as you can while maintaining stability so that they dont throttle as hard

the back of a card can radiate a bit of heat to the next but i wouldnt expect that to account for a full 20c difference case airflow can do funny things though sometimes developing hot pockets

it also make me wonder if the mount is as good on one card as it is on the other

Tried what you said and ran into some minor stability issues.

In any case, I'm pretty sure that these cards are heading towards 95c whether you like it or not, voltage seems to simply mark how quickly and how hard the fans spool up.

As for "hot pockets", this case has always had pretty good air flow. There is a 200mm intake fan followed by a vertical mounted H100 with four fans push/pull immediately after it. I did this in part because I wanted air flow to blow over the graphics cards. There is a spare slot between the cards and I removed the expansion slot backing plates between them. sticking your hand in there, you can feel air flowing between them, although that could possibly change once you put the case's side plate back on. I'll play around with that configuration a bit but I doubt it would account for the difference. I'll also swap the cards positions and see what happens then - if the same card still runs hotter I guess it's probably a poorly seated cooler.

Will let you know, but thanks for the suggestions Dasa!

I might wait and read the reviews on the custom cooled cards coming towards the mioddle of next month. I'm also interested to see what Nvidia can do on price/performance. I may yet swap these rowdy hot little buggers out, but I can't argue with the performance to price ratio.

I may even dip my toes into water!

Valley Extreme HD,

3539/FPS: 84.6 Modz - 2500K@4.7GHz (w) - SLI GTX760 @1355/7328 (a)

So, the guy at work kept going on about how he ordered a new 290x and was going to sell his Titan. I told him it would be nearly the same performance and that he would probably get only a bit over half the $ paid. He said I dont care as long as it pays for the new card... my big mouth says Ill give you $600 for it and he said sold! Well I was planning for a new monitor for the next upgrade (next year) and really was not suppose to buy another card, but the price was just too good. This one I probably wont put on water though, hell I could make some money if I sold it now too but...

Here is a comparison run:

CPU: 4.3ghz

GPU: 1006mhz/3005mhz (downclocked since SC model but both were at different starting clock too)

Edit:

CPU: 4.7ghz

GPU: 1150m/3200m

Edited by gamble

lol two titans very nice i think id prefer them over 290x just for the extra vram when you have two of them overclocked any performance difference doesnt matter that much

yea way overkill at this res :) ... This card seems to want to throttle some and gets toasty too. With the custom fan matching temp to a max of 70%, the temp will get up to around 81c. This drops it a few 13mhz here and there at times.

3dmark11:

CPU: 4.7ghz

GPU: 1097mhz/3200mhz

Guest xyzzy frobozz

Wow!

$600 for a Titan is a bloody good deal!

He'll be kicking himself if he cruises eBay and sees what they're going for.

I'll echo Dasa's sentiments - I think I'd prefer Titans, especially at that price! I've got two 290x and whilst they are nice cards, they're far from faultless. I can't run Battlefield 4 without them clocking themselves down to as low as about 730MHz. Nothing I seem to do solves the problem. I've enabled V-sync which should theoretically limit proceedings to 75Mhz. Whilst I'm sure that BF4 is more graphically demanding than BF3, to put that into perspective, I could run BF3 with my SLI 680's really breaking 70c. Different cooler but still, the heat issues are pretty close to unacceptable to me.

Anyway, nice score gamble!