3dmark master

Atomic 3DMark & Game Benchmark Rankings

So I did some tweaking and updated my GPUs bios and gave Firestrike a complete re-run to see how things changed. I got slightly higher scores with only slightly higher clock speeds.

RE: I bet now Drawesome you will be looking at getting a K series for your next upgrade. :p

^Nice scores all round there,.. I'm either grabbing an i7 ($400+) or another GB 290 ($300+) for Xmas,...depending on the November games and advancements/requirements/issues...

Eventually both.

I'd personally hold off on the 2nd 290. By the time xmas rolls round we should have more info on the 390 series. From the way the industry is going with more efficient chips. I'm not sure what the future resale value of a 290 will be. But that's just because I mostly pass on my cards when I upgrade so resale value is important. By the time you may want to sell them, we might be well into the core efficiency wars and not sure who would want to buy into a pair of some of the worse efficient cards ever made. I made that mistake when I upgraded from my old Geforce 4 Ti 4800 to a GF FX 5950 Ultra and that thing was monstrously bad. No one wanted anything to do with that series of cards once the 6800s hit the market. But again this is just how my brain works when buying hardware. :)

On the other hand though, unless AMD has some how pulled off an amazingly efficient new core architecture, I'm not sure how well another power hungry GPU will stack up in the eyes of reviews against the efficiency of maxwell. It's all well and good to say your the perf-king, but at what cost?

Edited by Modz

Well this is about the best I can do, Im seeing throttling so not even exactly sure of the core clock but that is the boost that Im seeing mostly.

FireStrike:

11100 - http://www.3dmark.com/fs/2894854 - 3770k @ 5.0ghz(w) / MSI GTX 970 1475mhz/7600mhz

3dMark11:

P15179 - http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/8815992 - 3770k @ 5.0ghz(w) / MSI GTX 970 1475mhz/7600mhz

Not too bad considering the price of the card. Only a bit less than what I saw from Titan and 290x. Crazy that even with heavy modded Titan bios, this thing is nearly as fast but 1/3 of the price, only what a year or so later and was running the Titan at around 1300mhz. If I can get my hands on a modded bios, Im sure I could get it up to 1600mhz since the TDP is totally holding this card back. I know some other GTX 970 have better TDP limits but once I hit it, the clock drops. Gaming is pretty linear though with BF4 with only a tick or two up or down.

Catalyst 14.9

3DMark Fire Strike

• AMD Radeon R9 290 Series - improves up to 5% in Performance Preset

with that i thought id give it another go

first run with cpu at 4.3ghz showed some promise with gpu results being the same but the combined score was the highest yet

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/3063794

but once i cranked up the cpu the combined score dropped back to its normal level :(

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/3063888

the gpu had lost sync and was extremely blurry from early in the second test with that first run till i rebooted so maybe that had something to do with it dont know

Drawesome, yea you might find a good deal on a 2nd 290 by xmas or might be worth selling at that time for a different. Its hard to say in the next few months how the price/performance will look but two 290 will be really fast!

Dasa, are your cpu temps ok during that run? Maybe it caused some throttling from temps? Maybe even lower it 100mhz to see if it improves like your 4.3 run?

Modz, are you seeing throttling with your card or is your core clock pretty straight? Gaming mine is fine but benching seems to throttle the card quite a bit for me. Still trying to find a modded bios that I can throw in :)

cpu was ~45c gpu was struggling at those clocks though as the ambient is a fair bit higher today

its still better than your 3770\gtx970 combined score so its not that bad but maybe there is a way to tweak a bit more out of it somehow

Didn't think it was bad run, actually it was a dam good run. I just thought your combined would go up quite a bit more since the CPU was clocked higher from the 4.3, guess I'm confused why it didn't :-)

Edited by gamble

yeah same my best theory was that it was just a glitch due to the artifacting

but maybe there is more to it and something with cpu freq\ram timings may have a effect

i might have to give it another run at 4.3 when it cools down and see if that high combined score was just a one off freak

Edited by Dasa

Sorry for the lack of updates guys, have been busy with school work. Some awesome benches being shown here!

I'll try and update the OP with the new results soon

Modz, are you seeing throttling with your card or is your core clock pretty straight? Gaming mine is fine but benching seems to throttle the card quite a bit for me. Still trying to find a modded bios that I can throw in :)

when I run FS, only the first test will show changes in core clock. say if I've got it set at 1549, the first test will hover between 1529-1549 but then 2nd test and beyond will sit at 1549. the only time i see more throttling is if i have my system fans set to low & stock auto gpu fan. When I bench/oc/game all my fan are controlled via gpu load so everything revs up and the card sits between 58-64 @ 1549.

* I also get my new Z77 mobo soon so I should be able to re-bench with a 5.2 cpu clock. Going from 4.7 to 5.2 made about an 800 point cpu score difference which should give me over the 11k FS mark which would be nice.

Edited by Modz

Ok, i decided to spend 30 minutes having a crack at Firestrike. The hardware could go more i guess, but i'm past my hay day :P

Single Card

FireStrike:

12233 - http://www.3dmark.com/fs/3077054 - 3570k @ 4.5ghz(a) / MSI GTX 980 1370mhz/7512mhz(a)

Edited by smakme7757

Hey chaps, I'm back! Been busy with TAFE and life things, and the dreaded flu...

Will be doing some benching my "new" GTX 760 soon, as well as some older PC's I plan to build, for some fun. I'll also finally get around to updating the OP :-D

• Like 1

School first man! This stuff is for fun :) Look forward to your 760 benches!

MSI died, dunno... got a Asus and it is much more stable on clock as in there is no fluctuation in core clocks, the ram dont OC well on this one either. Rather have the core clock anyway. Been gaming at 1450mhz/7200mhz.

FireStrike:

11377 - http://www.3dmark.com/fs/3111528 - 3770k @ 5.0ghz(w) / ASUS GTX 970 1525mhz/7500mhz

3dMark11:

16019 - http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/8896347 - 3770k @ 5.0ghz(w) / ASUS GTX 970 1525mhz/7500mhz

Valley gives about 68.2fps with 2852 score. Going to run that a few more times and edit this post.

Great run there, might need to rerun once bc looks like you got a time measurement error... For some reason the Gtx 970 gives that sometimes, happened to me before too ;-) hope you enjoying your new build! Thanks for adding to the thread!

Edited by gamble

And there we go! This thread is now updated to post #715

Has been rather awesome seeing how the new GTX 900 series cards perform. When more people get their hands on them, I can see long standing records falling here

Well done guys!

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/3407169

There you go Gamble :) I dunno if that's enough info (it has my username and system specs in the report).

I'm not overly impressed with the GTX980 + i5-4690K combo. It barely gets more than my previous rig (i7-3770K + GTX780Ti).

The i5-4690K is running at 4.2GHz and the GTX980 is set to 1400MHz.

4690k is only 10% faster per clock than 3570k in games but in benchmarks that make use of ht like 3dmark it will be slower than 3770k high speed ram could have made a bigger difference to games performance if you didnt already have it

hell my 4y old 2600k will get a higher score in 3dm when at the same clock speed as a 4690k but at least your cpu is 20% faster per clock in games

gtx980 is just a more efficent version of the 780ti its not really faster so you have done a bit of a side grade

Edited by Dasa

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/3407169

There you go Gamble :) I dunno if that's enough info (it has my username and system specs in the report).

I'm not overly impressed with the GTX980 + i5-4690K combo. It barely gets more than my previous rig (i7-3770K + GTX780Ti).

The i5-4690K is running at 4.2GHz and the GTX980 is set to 1400MHz.

To make life easier for the thread owner you should post your score like this:

<Score> - Link to Submission - <CPU> @ <Frequency>(Air/Water) / <GPU> <Core>/<Memory>(Air/Water)

Example: Mine from above: 12233 - http://www.3dmark.com/fs/3077054 - 3570k @ 4.5ghz(a) / MSI GTX 980 1370mhz/7512mhz(a)

Also, as Dasa said, very much a sidegrade. You went from a hyper threaded CPU with 4 cores @ 3.5Ghz to a CPU without Hyperthreading with 4 cores @ 3.9Ghz. The GTX 980 scores about on par with a GTX 780Ti, or just a little higher. So you didn't really gain much at all, maybe lost some horsepower on the CPU side if you overclock the 3770K to 4Ghz.

I've done upgrades like that myself when i first started getting into PC building, but you live and learn. Still, it's a good score in 3DMark, most liikely in the upper echelons of the single GPU category :).

When i picked up the GTX 980 i was coming from a GTX 670. That's when you can really appreciate an upgrade :D.

Edited by smakme7757

Yeah cheers guys. I took the opportunity to change out my parts cos I wanted the more efficient CPU and to get into the new socket 1150. The end goal is to end up with an i7 4790k which should be able to happen in a couple months, maybe sooner.

Figured it'd be worth having the i5 for a while to play with ;)

I did expect the 980 to be better than what it was though. But again, this was to get rid of my hotter 780 which I didn't want to SLI.

I have to admit....I also really wanted a color coordinated system lol :P

Im really bad about doing side grades, if I feel the value is dropping on a card or if there is a good promotion Ill jump ships so dam quick! I wanted the GTX 970 for the power efficiency. The Titan was losing its price quick so I sold it and got the 290x, the 290x was just as powerful in games but was more hungry and hot compared. Then the price was dropping on the 290x when the GTX 970 came, so I sold that sucker while it had higher value and got the GTX 970. All in all I think they are nearly the same tier but the GTX 970 take the cake for power and heat while just being slightly slower in some things... I can live with that for the trade-offs! Plus, I like overclocking and its a beast in that regard while staying under 70c...

Thanks for adding to the thread, nice score!

Edited by gamble

The end goal is to end up with an i7 4790k which should be able to happen in a couple months, maybe sooner.

It will help with benchmarks and rendering but will make no difference to games

skylake will be here mid-late next year new mb\ram ect. thats when i may finally be tempted to upgrade

i still have my gtx480 and 7970 just sitting here devaluing as i cant be bothered with selling\posting them

i still have my gtx480 and 7970 just sitting here devaluing as i cant be bothered with selling\posting them

Oh really? ;-) Hahaha

I'll update the OP with the new scores soon :-)

Edited by nobody813

justo what ram are you running? i just gave firestrike a run at 4.2ghz with ht disabled and your physics score is only 7.6% higher

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/3407169/fs/3412782

gamble or smackme mind showing us where your 3### series sit at 4.2ghz with 4cores\threads just for interest sake

Edited by Dasa