Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
3dmark master

Atomic 3DMark & Game Benchmark Rankings

Nice start nobody looking forward to seeing some high clocks

Here is a overclocking guide i used a few days ago when helping a friend oc that mb

http://www.overclock.net/t/1198504/complete-overclocking-guide-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-asrock-edition

we are having some trouble getting is 2x8g 2400c10 ram stable at higher speeds though 2400c10 would bsd on boot and 2133c9 would bsd in game at random

On a side note i just found this on ebay

Intel Core i7-3770K, 3.5 GHz Processor

PAID : AU $121.05 with PayPal
AU $19.50 voucher applied (thanks to ebay 15% of sale)
Estimated delivery: Fri. 2 Oct.

cpu is a B stepping which tend to need a bit more v than others

I had been watching a C stepping which seem to be rare golden chips as far as overclocking goes but when it still had 11 hours left and was already $260 i couldn't see the value in it for a old chip as fun as it might be but when this poped up it seemed like a good time to pass on the 2600k to a photoshop rig

looking forward to seeing if it can beat my 2600k in a few of these tests

• Like 1

Nice start nobody looking forward to seeing some high clocks

Here is a overclocking guide i used a few days ago when helping a friend oc that mb

http://www.overclock.net/t/1198504/complete-overclocking-guide-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-asrock-edition

we are having some trouble getting is 2x8g 2400c10 ram stable at higher speeds though 2400c10 would bsd on boot and 2133c9 would bsd in game at random

Cheers for that Dasa! Will have a look at it when I've got a weekend off (Hopefully soon). Also how'd you go with that 3770k? Will be interesting to see how compares to your old chip

makes me want to properly test out the 3570k I bought a while back; it's in a h77 board so I have no idea how well it clocks

not so good im afraid

having problems with instability when i take the ram over 1.5v even though i had it up to 1.85v 2133 8-10-10 in the 2600k

at default settings the mb is trying to feed 1.32-1.36v into the cpu which gets rather toasty even under water

with the v set manually it managed these clocks

x264-x64 stability test v2.06 1 pass
pll 1.7v all other settings default

3.9Ghz 1.08v 55c (stock)
4.0Ghz 1.12v 59c 56c 53c 52c gpu 32c
4.1Ghz 1.16v 62c 60c 56c 54c gpu 33c
4.2Ghz 1.21v 68c 64c 60c 59c gpu 33c
started including actual v under load as it seems to be creeping up higher over the set v at higher levels
4.3Ghz 1.275v-1.28v 75c 72c 66c 63c gpu 34c
4.4Ghz 1.34v-1.344v 82c 80c 72c 70c gpu 34c

The x264 stress test is finding errors quicker than xtu while running much cooler so i can test higher settings before hitting a thermal limit
included max gpu temps to give an idea of temp change in the loop as the cpu v increases

at idle
4.3ghz 1.28v 23c 21c 21c 25c gpu 29c

so it seems to be a very v hungry chip at this stage not scaling very well

somebody over on rog forum suggested some of my problems may be due to uneven mount pressure on the cpu which is very possible since i did a lazy mount leaving the gpu block attached not bothering to drain the loop for a temporary install

new thermal paste has been ordered for popping the ihs on the cpu
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Grease 3ml $45.90 inc post < ontop of ihs and gpu
Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra Wärmeleitpaste + Reinigungsset, komplett $24.11 AUD Exchange rate: 1 Australian Dollar = 0.614079 Euros < under ihs

Look forward to seeing what you can get out of it nobody... nice start for sure

Are you going direct die Dasa or putting back on? Appears back on since one tim for under the ihs and other for the top which should help tons too :)

yeah direct die is tempting and would be perfect for my old storm g5 waterblock if i hadn't changed to the apogee drive in the smaller case but after seeing others experiences with it over the years it seems its difficult to get good contact between cpu and mb as the ihs also helps prevent the cpu pcb from bending

Yea its a pain for sure, plus can chip the core when mounting direct. Im glad I have mine on there good now but if even slightly off, temps spread is like 10-12c from hottest core to coolest core. Im seriously afraid to mess with it now that its in and cooling good even though I want to replace tim eventually. Are you going to have the ihs "float" or seal it back on?

Good question

I have seen it suggested that its best to seal it back on so that if the cpu is removed and reinstalled it doesn't muck up the tim installation but i have seen very little info on it or whats best to use as a glue that is strong enough but not permanent

Some seem to suggest 4 dabs of super glue then acetone if it ever needs to be removed

I will probably just end up sticking it back on with the ihs lose unless i find some glue laying around before the tim arrives since i never removed the 2600k till i had a replacement for it it may never remove the 3770k unless it turns out to be a dud and i want the 2600k back

Edited by Dasa

Yea mine did slide a ton while floating and was hard to line up to lock in with the clip. I had to put it up higher to start and then start to clamp down since it would start to grab and pull it out of place, even if I tried to hold it in place. With the ihs off might be worth lapping since some reported them being slightly warped with the razor/ruler check.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/3770k-ihs-removal-and-results.169489/

Wouldn't worry about the glue to much since you will be going direct die soon enough jk :)

Grizzly Kry seems like a really good paste even passing my GC - Extreme on some reviews.... You'll have to let me know how well it spreads. CLU seems to be the best for core I just don't trust my hands with conductive stuff, good choices for sure!

it would seem the ihs has been removed previously and glued back on with goodness knows what but it aint coming off as when i couldnt get a razor under i tossed it in the vice and hit with with a hammer then i tried hitting it harder missed and took two chips of the back... thinking it was dead i then tried smashing it with the hammer till it flew out of the vice with chunks torn out of the edge of the ihs but it still didnt budge

anyway after all that i filed back the gouged out edges then lapped the ihs tossed it back in my pc and am using it to send this msg...

trying get it stable at 4.4ghz with around -0.1v offset 1.344v actual

temps are still shit during intel xtu memory test 90c 90c 81c 78c gpu 37c

Edited by Dasa

ahwell thats what i get for buying the $120 3770k on ebay instead of the $300 one

dam good price for sure even if it runs hot... I cant think of what could have been used that would make it so hard to remove.

could do if it got under the ihs enough

if they used something like arctic adhesive on the core though im out of luck

couldnt see any sine of glue round the edges

asked the person i purchased it from who the previous owner was to see what glue they used and got this reply

Actually, I am the original owner of the CPU. I bought it brand new from PC Case Gear. I have never removed the IHS so the glue that is on it is the original glue that Intel would have used on it. In fact, I had to Google IHS to find out what it was - interesting to learn that some are soldered on and some are glued on.

hmm guess i just didnt hit it hard enough
ohwell i will try the razor blades again some day it just seemed like i was ether cutting into the ihs or the pcb at the time

• Like 1

finally got the ihs off my 3770k after failed attempts with razor blade & vise\hammer method it finally came off with vise\hairdrier method

it still took a lot of pressure from the vise it chipped the edges of the pcb a little

before removal it was hitting 90c at 4.4ghz 1.35v now its around 55-65c at 4.5ghz 1.375v

unfortunately there still seems to be contact trouble with the mb pins giving error 55 on most posts if i try take the ram over 1.55v
before removing the ihs it was having trouble over 1.53v so it may have improved a little from the remount

tried 4.7-4.8ghz then

4.8ghz wouldnt boot at 1.5v

4.7ghz ran 3dmark at 1.425v

managed to get the ram at 2400 10-11-11-21-1t-96 tRFC 1.6v it took a few hits of the reset button to get it to post past the error 55 with the ram at this

cpu at 4.7ghz is still a little slower than the 2600k at 5.1ghz 2133 9-10-10

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/2486569/fs/8758046

drivers seem to have helped graphics test 2 a fair bit my 290 at lower clocks is scoring higher than gambles 290x in that test

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/2486569/fs/8758046/fs/2436116

• Like 1

Wow, that is substantially cooler! Makes me want to do that to my 3570k

Edited by nobody813

Long time no post guys! I (nobody813) would like to apologise for that. This place got pretty quiet, and even though I'd open the forums everytime I was at my PC, I'd end up only lurking. It is nice to see that there are still people here, keeping this forum ticking. It's good to be back

As for this thread, I'd very much like to get back into maintaing it, and potentially expand or clean it up. A lot has changed since this thread was first started. Any suggestions are welcome

Cheers

nobody813

Edited by 3dmark master

Any suggestions are welcome

ATM, people seem to be rather caught up with the Pascal/Polaris thing. Maybe you want to dovetail in with that?

• Like 2

What'd be nice for 3DMark, Furmark, wPrime, SuperPi.

A "for the rest of us" type thread where you do runs on fairly standard system setups, ie no wild Ram timings or any form of overclocking.

Would be nice to have a reference so that when you build a system, install certain drivers, put a certain card in, you have a guage as to what you should expect.

My system isn't exactly a common one, so my best guess is to find benchmarks with a fairly equivalent i5 or i7 CPU then interpolate from that (mine = Xeon W3550 which is effectively a cherry-picked i7-950, neither get much coverage so I generally have to interpolate results from a newer similar specced CPU).

• Like 1

Nicely done getting the ihs off, that's a huge temp drop for sure. What you going to run it at for 24/7? I actually lowered down to 4.5ghz since never really see utilization even tax this clock.

currently at 4.5ghz 1.384v

may not need that much v it was passing stress tests with much less but it seemed to be getting random instability (games crashing) so i kept bumping it up and it seems more stable now

time will tell

ram seems stable 2200 9-10-10-21-t1-tRFC96 1.55v but that may be the reason for the random instability i might have to drop it back to 2133 1.53v

will probably leave it at that for now since i have started playing a little arma3 coop again which wants all the cpu power it can get

Rybags

interesting idea

that could be great for troubleshooting to make sure your system is performing as it should but these benchmarks are not real good indications of real world performance unfortunately

real world performance gains can vary dramatically from one application to the next

Edited by Dasa

Any suggestions are welcome

ATM, people seem to be rather caught up with the Pascal/Polaris thing. Maybe you want to dovetail in with that?

Yeah, that is a good point. There has been a fair amount of traffic generated here thanks to that. Hopefully a few guys here will grab some of these new cards, and have a bit to say about them

What'd be nice for 3DMark, Furmark, wPrime, SuperPi.

A "for the rest of us" type thread where you do runs on fairly standard system setups, ie no wild Ram timings or any form of overclocking.

Would be nice to have a reference so that when you build a system, install certain drivers, put a certain card in, you have a guage as to what you should expect.

My system isn't exactly a common one, so my best guess is to find benchmarks with a fairly equivalent i5 or i7 CPU then interpolate from that (mine = Xeon W3550 which is effectively a cherry-picked i7-950, neither get much coverage so I generally have to interpolate results from a newer similar specced CPU).

I like this idea too. Over the last few weeks I've been doing something pretty similar. After finding out that a dead PC I'd been given had an i5 4670k in it (was given two locally built office systems, that were each meant to have i5 4670's), I've been doing a few benchmarks on my 2500k, a 3570k I grabbed a while ago but never ended up using, and the 4670k, trying to see how they compare to each other. If the 4670k ends up being decently better than my old 2500k, I'll likely upgrade to that, preferably before the Windows 10 offer expires

Edited by nobody813