3dmark master

Atomic 3DMark & Game Benchmark Rankings

Alright, all updated.

due to slow movement, I've allowed some of the screenshot 3dmark links, now I was certain you can still use compare links in basic 3dmark11, but I'm not 100% sure.

Looks like a nice CPU OBA =D

Edited by 3dmark master

Good scores Osama and grats on cracking 5Ghz :). I'd say your scores are pretty good for your setup so you shouldn't be dissapointed.

why thankyou mr smak!

I owe it all to the brilliant i5, and the rather cool Corsair H100......I didn't really do too much - just changed the multiplier, then sat back and watched - even the shittiest of boards is brilliant......I wasn't very impressed with the Asrock Z68 Pro3 Gen3 when I first set eyes on it out of the box (still not really) but, the fucker performs - I can see me getting something a bit better down the line

It's extremely easy isn't it! Overclocking is as simple as keeping it cool and upping the multiplier. I found getting over 5.3Ghz was a challenge so if you want a challenge have a go at that.

I've noticed the price for the ASUS Maximus IV Extreme has come down heaps in price. It's also a very nice board :)

How about we benchmark 3DMark 2001SE. I've tested it and it works fine on Windows 7 x64. It's a nice benchmark because small system tweaks really make big differences with the score. I've uploaded a copy i know works HERE

I also suggest we put in a 3Ghz CPU frequency cap across the board. Some will have to overclock while others will have to downclock.

Edited by smakme7757

I also suggest we put in a 3Ghz CPU frequency cap across the board. Some will have to overclock while others will have to downclock.

Its a GPU benchmarking thread, GPUs dont hold much sway over the final 2001SE score anymore, which is why it wasn't included, good as a CPU benchmark though.

Edited by NukeJockey

a 3GHz cap would make things interesting....

People using GTX 285's would win though, I think they're the best balance between CPU overhead and GPU power needed?

Edited by Morgoth

Alright, all updated.

due to slow movement, I've allowed some of the screenshot 3dmark links, now I was certain you can still use compare links in basic 3dmark11, but I'm not 100% sure.

Looks like a nice CPU OBA =D

yeh, finally!

the i7 920 that the i5 just replaced just wasn't stable at 4.0G, which was rather disappointing, considering the price of such a setup.

fortunately, I at last have one that seems to want to perform with the best of them....at last.

the last really good overclocking CPU that I had was the P4 2.6G Northwood, which was perfectly happy, cool, and 100% stable at 3.6G

the ease at which I attained 5G, has me thinking that it shouldn't be too much trouble reaching 5.2-5.3G.

the Corsair H100 is a great cooler, I've had no reason to turn the fans up beyond 2/3 speed all the way up to 5G....a few extra 100 Mhz shouldn't be a problem. the H100 was well worth the extra cash (about $50 or so more than a D14 Noctua) - I'd have to rate it as the best over-the-counter aftermarket cooler that I've owned. I highly recommend them.

looks like 5G is around the limit - obviously, if the CPU is stable, and cool at 5G, it can go further - I blame it on the at best mediocre Asrock Z58 Pro3 Gen3 - the best that I could achieve above 5g is having to do a windows repair

me can see this mobo being replaced in the near future....the very near future, in fact

teach me to scrimp on the mobo, but I definitely wanted an SSD, and on of those H100 coolers

shouldn't have too much problem palming off the Asrock - it's still not a bad board for what it is......a $120-130 dollar motherboard.

everything else is right up there (well, maybe not the 6870......)

santa may get me a more fitting mobo for xmas - I've been pretty good

;)

good to see some life in this thread again and its oba back at it :)

your mb only has 4+1 phase vrm which probably isnt helping

so if you are looking to push it more stick some direct airflow over the cpu socket to try and stop them toasting or if you have a temp probe try check them out for me i would like to know just how hot so few phases get when pushing that cpu so hard with no direct airflow cant remember if that mb has any heatsinks on them but vrm are typically made to handle up to 125c

As for Smak's suggestion...

Perhaps we can have a Challenge section? Just the best, forget the rest, no classes, just whoever can get the highest scores for the preset conditions (3Ghz CPU @ 3dmark01se in this instance)

We could have that as the first challenge, then once people have had time to bench it, figure out another one we can add?

It will create more life here and people wont always just rerun benches for a few points, only do it when they change hardware, this alleviates the problem somewhat of low thread activity once everyone's run all the benchies.

for the 3Ghz CPU limit 3dmark01se contest, should we have any limitations?

I can think of one, maybe two

1) No disabling of CPU cores because not everyone can, disabling SLI should be allowed though if needed

2) No special barebones, cut-up windows installs - what does everyone think about that? We want to keep a half even footing in that respect.

As for Smak's suggestion...

Perhaps we can have a Challenge section? Just the best, forget the rest, no classes, just whoever can get the highest scores for the preset conditions (3Ghz CPU @ 3dmark01se in this instance)

We could have that as the first challenge, then once people have had time to bench it, figure out another one we can add?

It will create more life here and people wont always just rerun benches for a few points, only do it when they change hardware, this alleviates the problem somewhat of low thread activity once everyone's run all the benchies.

for the 3Ghz CPU limit 3dmark01se contest, should we have any limitations?

I can think of one, maybe two

1) No disabling of CPU cores because not everyone can, disabling SLI should be allowed though if needed

2) No special barebones, cut-up windows installs - what does everyone think about that? We want to keep a half even footing in that respect.

I was thinking about this and decided we will get the most compeditors if people aren't forced to heavily overclock, change, mod their rigs. Having a 3Ghz cap (or even 2.5Ghz if that's too high) will keep overclocking/downlocking to a minimum and gives those who are not quite into heavy overclocking a decent go at being compeditive.

Best of all 3DMark 2001SE will run on rigs that are 10 years old so pretty much anyone can enter for a bit of fun.

It might not be the best GPU benchmark, but it's a good way at giving everyone a chance to have some fun seeing as it runs in a very low res and requires a DX version which pretty much everyone supports.

I tested it on my Laptop last night and it worked fine

Posted Image

increase the PLL voltage? it was increased some.....I'll have to google the voltage limits, and now that I've made an image of the OS, give it another whirl.......

thanks Dasa, I'd love to see the place jumping again.....even better if yours truly is the instigator - lets rev the place up some.....like the good old days

incidentally, I believe you're right Dasa, the board does seem somewhat lacking in the power dept. the PCB is the thinnest I've seen for a long time....I was quite taken aback - very cheap, and nasty upon close inspection - the PCB is that thin, that I've had to bend the bracket of the 6870 a tad, just to get it seated correctly

it has to go

immediate problem: fuck all spare cash, it's my granddaughter's birthday in a couple of weeks - then xmas......

it'll be a struggle to get it happening before the new year.....

but you never know.

now, to start googling voltage limits.

;)

It's been a while since i've overclocked my CPU, but i had to take the PPL voltage up a bit and i had to try a few BIOS before i found a decent one. But like you said it could also be because your motherboard is just a run of the mill model and not really up to the task.

well, well, well.

I just hit 5.2G!

BUT

the CPU is at +400mv (only goes up to 500mv)

the PLL is at 1.9v

and it doesn't seem to want to run Vantage gets most of the way thru

atm there isn't another BIOS that I can use (as far as I can ascertain, there exists a beta BIOS that's a bit shonky in my experience, and the original one, which I'm using)

I'm not too sure what 400mv actually equates to......I'll reboot it, try +450mv

I don't want to push it much further

Nice mate that's a damn high overclock!

I think i had 1.98v on the PLL for 5.5Ghz and 1.58Vcore. But i don't think i changed anything else.

I think i had 1.98v on the PLL for 5.5Ghz and 1.58Vcore. But i don't think i changed anything else.

not half bad, eh!

I know that 5.5G is an impossibility with this board......5.3G is very doubtful, but I'll settle for 5.2G atm, actually, I'm rapt!

here's a new 3DMark06:

27525 3DMarks

http://3dmark.com/3dm06/16210785

not half bad, eh!

I know that 5.5G is an impossibility with this board......5.3G is very doubtful, but I'll settle for 5.2G atm, actually, I'm rapt!

here's a new 3DMark06:

27525 3DMarks

http://3dmark.com/3dm06/16210785

Nice, that's an awesome score. It's amazing how these new CPUs just demolish the older benchmarks =D.

Are you considering getting a new board before the end of the year or just waiting to see what shows up later? Most of the high end P67 boards have dropped in price because of Z68 competition so you might be able to find a nice deal on a high end board and get one for a decent price.

that's a thought......I mean, who needs intel graphics, or that caching crap - I just don't/won't use those features

I still might be able to get out of it nice and cheaply.......

:)

here's my 3DMark 11 score: P4665 3DMarks

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/2169992

as far as these new CPU's go, I couldn't agree with you more, they are truly amazing!

Sandy Bridge has set new standards......makes you feel almost sorry for poor old AMD, they can call their CPU's all the cool names under the sun, but, I'm afraid they're no more than an also ran these days.....I was bitterly disappointed with Bulldozer, god I wanted them to be unreal....even on par would've sufficed. oh well.

anyway, what are you doing awake at this ungodly hour, smakme?

good to see some life in this thread again and its oba back at it :)

your mb only has 4+1 phase vrm which probably isnt helping

so if you are looking to push it more stick some direct airflow over the cpu socket to try and stop them toasting or if you have a temp probe try check them out for me i would like to know just how hot so few phases get when pushing that cpu so hard with no direct airflow cant remember if that mb has any heatsinks on them but vrm are typically made to handle up to 125c

I'm using a CM HAF 932, so there's a 230mm fan @ 1,700rpm pointed just below the CPU (the top of the fan is in line with the bottom of the H100's waterblock, the VRM's are situated just above the CPU) surely that should keep those nasty little VRM's cool, I'd imagine. yeh, the board has a heatsink on them as well

that should be doing the job, I'd reckon, what do you think?

I'm using a CM HAF 932, so there's a 230mm fan @ 1,700rpm pointed just below the CPU (the top of the fan is in line with the bottom of the H100's waterblock, the VRM's are situated just above the CPU) surely that should keep those nasty little VRM's cool, I'd imagine. yeh, the board has a heatsink on them as well

that should be doing the job, I'd reckon, what do you think?

its probably about as good as you can hope for i have no idea what the limits are for a 4 phase vrm though but to put it in perspective smakme7757 mb has 24 phases and mine has 12 although im yet to push past 5gh 1.48v and am rather impressed that you have hit 5.2 with that mb :)

im guessing any more than 8+2 good quality phases is overkill for anything but ln2 with 2#00k

and with pll voltage nuke was referring to a setting that doesnt allow you to change the v it is just call pll overvoltage enable\disable and it normally lets one boot past a limit around 4.5ghz although some can get higher without it its possible your mb has it enabled automatically

Edited by Dasa