3dmark master

Atomic 3DMark & Game Benchmark Rankings

I won't be downclocking my CPU for the challenge simply because I don't see the point and cant be bothered.

You sound like the people that say "Overclocking is stupid what's the point". You would rather have no challenges or activities and just let everything be stagnant and uninteresting until 3DMark 2012 comes out?

Why don't you act like the people who are not interested in this thread and just not post...?

Tweaking for scores is half the work in high end benching, this challenge will get me off my arse to tweak Ram and bclk combos for the best efficiency, I find it interesting, I understand it seems pointless in some ways, but it's not hard and it's a challenge everyone can have a go at

I won't be downclocking my CPU for the challenge simply because I don't see the point and cant be bothered.

You sound like the people that say "Overclocking is stupid what's the point". You would rather have no challenges or activities and just let everything be stagnant and uninteresting until 3DMark 2012 comes out?

Why don't you act like the people who are not interested in this thread and just not post...?

The reason why its stale isn't because there is a lack of benches to tweak for and run, its because there is a lack of members who give a crap.

Tweaking for scores is half the work in high end benching, this challenge will get me off my arse to tweak Ram and bclk combos for the best efficiency, I find it interesting, I understand it seems pointless in some ways, but it's not hard and it's a challenge everyone can have a go at

Overclocking comps for fun or for prizes on forums like this are pointless when everyone is running different hardware. Why not just all go out and buy a P4 and a 9800XT each and see who can overclock their shit better then? :P

I have a 9800xt but no p4, sorry. Your point is 'why do anything?' it's pretty broad and a bit silly, no point arguing mate, noones asking you to participate if you don't wish to.

2600k will have a slight advantage at any given clock speed over any other current cpu but it is a very small advantage over the 2500k one that could easily be made up with better ram

stil have a 2.4c and some bh-5 here but vdrop vmod ripped out of the mb killing the mb

antec 430w with moded 3.3v line that went up to ~3.7v is in someone elses pc now though i think...

whatever the case im sure it will be a little fun despite me having shit ram

"Atomics unofficial 3DMark 2001SE locked clock chalenge"

Rules List

1st rule - Processor will be locked to 3Ghz

2nd rule - Run on any OS you want. Got a spare HDD, install Windows XP and get a higher score!

3rd rule - All system tweaks allowed: driver tweaks, registry tweaks you name it. Got a driver that's super awesome for 3DMark 2001? Keep it a secret and blow them away.

4th rule - No DICE, LN2 or any other form of extreme cooling for your GPU.

Question: Hyperthreading permitted? Yes/No

Question: Unlimited core count permitted? Yes/No

Question: SLI permitted? Yes/No

Note: Lets get some brainstorming happening, any oppinions regarding rules to be added/taken away? This could be a very interesting event.

Edited by smakme7757

I'd allow affinity, but no actual core disabling.

we need to test if ht or sli really affects score I think

I'd allow affinity, but no actual core disabling.

we need to test if ht or sli really affects score I think

SLI would have to give a good increase because the GTX295 gets awesome scores on HWBOT.

I have a 9800xt but no p4, sorry. Your point is 'why do anything?' it's pretty broad and a bit silly, no point arguing mate, noones asking you to participate if you don't wish to.

I'm well aware of that, you guys can bench 3dm2001SE til the cows come home, I just won't be participating.

I'm well aware of that, you guys can bench 3dm2001SE til the cows come home, I just won't be participating.

so that's official then?

from here on in it could be the

'Official Atomic 3DMark 2001SE Discluding NukeJockey Contest'

just in case there's any possible chance that someone may think that you could somehow be even remotely involved....er....officially.

so that's official then?

from here on in it could be the

'Official Atomic 3DMark 2001SE Discluding NukeJockey Contest'

just in case there's any possible chance that someone may think that you could somehow be even remotely involved....er....officially.

Haha, I doubt any of the 4 of us that post in this thread would think its official.

Anyway, what I was getting at, is that a 3dm2001SE comp is all well and good, however the results are going to be so skewed that it will ultimately be pointless, out of the half a dozen or so people that actually post in here, we all have different CPUs and GPUs.

Theres no baseline, saying to put the CPU to 3ghz is all well and good, but morgoths i7 at 3ghz isn't going to beat smakmes 2600k at 3ghz, nor will his GTX480 beat his GTX580.

Seeing as this is basically a cpu benchmark these days, it feels kind of pointless putting it in this thread.

However, I do understand where smakme is coming from, this thread only gets attention from people who get new gear.

Edited by NukeJockey

Anyway, what I was getting at, is that a 3dm2001SE comp is all well and good, however the results are going to be so skewed that it will ultimately be pointless, out of the half a dozen or so people that actually post in here, we all have different CPUs and GPUs.

Theres no baseline, saying to put the CPU to 3ghz is all well and good, but morgoths i7 at 3ghz isn't going to beat smakmes 2600k at 3ghz, nor will his GTX480 beat his GTX580.

Why do you think 3DMark 11 or Vantage or Crysis is any different?

The Person with the best rig wins and out of the people with the same parts it's the person with the best silicon....

Exactly, il be curious to see how I fare vs other nehalems and how much I trail sandy by

the Nehalems should do well - I'm thinking with all else 'equal' the triple channel memory should give them an edge.....the results could be interesting

Exactly, il be curious to see how I fare vs other nehalems and how much I trail sandy by

the Nehalems should do well - I'm thinking with all else 'equal' the triple channel memory should give them an edge.....the results could be interesting

I thought testing showed that there was less than 1% difference between triple and dual channel memory?

I thought testing showed that there was less than 1% difference between triple and dual channel memory?

You get pretty nice gains in 3DMark 2001SE with high frequency memory. I don't know how much gain you get from tripple channel though, but a GTX 295 with 2000Mhz memory pulls massive scores. That's what beat my system in the HWbot challenge.

You get pretty nice gains in 3DMark 2001SE with high frequency memory. I don't know how much gain you get from tripple channel though, but a GTX 295 with 2000Mhz memory pulls massive scores. That's what beat my system in the HWbot challenge.

Yeah thats not surprising, faster ram can cut superpi scores down by a fair margin too.

just as a matter of interest, do you intend to update my scores to the ones done at 5.2G???

I'd like to see them

it's not often that I've managed to see 4G, let alone 5.2G......

this CPU is a keeper, that's for sure!

:)

Yeah 2500k over 5g is pretty awesome, I didn't notice n

The other scores, il fix it soon as I'm using atomic on the pc, I'm on the phone net atm

sweet.

thanks for that.

yeh, I'm choofed with this new CPU, it's a real beast.

I reckon with a better mobo with decent power it could possibly get even higher......I'm so impressed with the 2500K that I fully intend to spend a bit more.......nice to get some great silicon for a change

Updated your newer scores, but not your 3dmark11 one, it's less points than your 5G one, you still want it instead of your higher one?

TBH I'm not sure whats gone wrong, but the 5.2G scores havent added as much to the score, despite being an impressive oc =]

that's kind of weird - I wonder why that would be?

may as well stick with the highest score......

as long as the 5.2G overclock gets mentioned somewhere

me suspects it's the motherboard, and it's lack of power - must get a better mobo....

thanks for that.

:)

the higher score that is supposable at 5.2ghz reports the cpu speed at ~2.6ghz

now 3dm can get that wrong sometimes but maybe it was to unstable at 5.2 and reset itself without you noticing? happened to me a few times

that sounds highly possible.......and makes sense

I'll have another shot at it later on - it's pissing down and quite cold in sydney (one of my cores is idling at 24c....24c -28c) so it'd be a good time to do it.

haven't been interested in benching for a long time.....since the early days of my X58, actually - they even released 3DMark11 in my absence.

I still reckon it's the lack of power with the mobo causing instability......I was thinking of going MSI for a change, what's the deal with the 'Military Grade' bits....sounds like a bit of a wank - I really don't like the wavey heatsink design on the Asus boards, the Gigabyte's look good (well, the black ones do......) but I've found their boards to be problematic at times.

no rush, anyway - I'll see one that takes my fancy.....eventually