3dmark master

Atomic 3DMark & Game Benchmark Rankings

ASUS Maximus IV Gene Z $239 looks like a beasty little overclockers mb its down sides are that due to it being m-atx sli\cf would put the cards hard against each other and a lack a of pci-e 3 support although its not know if that will work reliably on any mb yet

i have found my gigabytre mb bios to be a little twitchy but the mb themselves seem solid and reliable there software however is just crap and unstable in my experience

yeh, it's a pity the Maximus is m-atx - it'd look kinda stupid in a CM HAF 932 full tower - I want a full sized board, not something that's small and cramped.......something that is bound to generate lots of heat, nor do I want any future multi GPU setup to be sitting right on top of each other - must mean something that the full sized Maximus is almost twice the price........

oh good, I'm not the only one that finds Gigabyte boards a bit glitchy/flakey.

I think I might go with MSI - I do like the look of their boards, I haven't heard anything bad about them - plus I've never had one before - why not?

have you had any experience with MSI boards, Dasa?

I'm in the process of tweaking my i5 on my gigabyte board.. so will see how my results compare to your asrock results i suppose.

I was wondering how much voltage u needed for 5.0/5.2? Haven't seen many people getting above 5.0 without 1.45v+ which is about as high as I would want to go for 24/7.

I had it one calibration below limit, which I estimated to be around 1.4-1.45v......

no way I run it @ 5.2G 24/7

I've got it setup to peak at 4.8G, which seems to be plenty fast enough (I can't 'see' any difference, cept in benchmark scores)

Cool thanks mate, I noticed windows booting up a bit quicker/desktop ready a tad quicker as I approached 5.0. For 24/7 I don't think I will need to go much higher than 4.5 to 4.8 for 24/7 either.

Wasn't suggesting ur running 5.2ghz 24/7 but just wondering what it took for your chip to do it. Some of the advice being given out on line about this is shocking... some of it I also tried and just made things worse too. Hopefully will get some good results tonight once I get home from work.

Edited by p0is(+)n

Cool thanks mate, I noticed windows booting up a bit quicker/desktop ready a tad quicker as I approached 5.0. For 24/7 I don't think I will need to go much higher than 4.5 to 4.8 for 24/7 either.

Wasn't suggesting ur running 5.2ghz 24/7 but just wondering what it took for your chip to do it. Some of the advice being given out on line about this is shocking... some of it I also tried and just made things worse too. Hopefully will get some good results tonight once I get home from work.

I just upped the voltage on the CPU, PLL, turned off all the 'slowing down' options, made sure the RAM was running at the correct speed, and upped the multiplier

nothin' fancy at all.

;)

sounds like u might have a golden chip mate. here is something i came across earlier in reference to sandy bridge CPUs.

1. Approximately 50% of CPUs can go up to 4.4~4.5 GHz

2. Approximately 40% of CPUs can go up to 4.6~4.7 GHz

3. Approximately 10% of CPUs can go up to 4.8~5 GHz (50+ multipliers are about 2% of this group)

These results seem to back that up, although I have no idea how accurate or up to date the list is.

http://www.overclock.net/t/968053/official...nc-spreadsheet#

Edited by p0is(+)n

sounds like u might have a golden chip mate. here is something i came across earlier in reference to sandy bridge CPUs.

1. Approximately 50% of CPUs can go up to 4.4~4.5 GHz

2. Approximately 40% of CPUs can go up to 4.6~4.7 GHz

3. Approximately 10% of CPUs can go up to 4.8~5 GHz (50+ multipliers are about 2% of this group)

These results seem to back that up, although I have no idea how accurate or up to date the list is.

http://www.overclock.net/t/968053/official...nc-spreadsheet#

well, I'll be fucked, how about that.

it's about time too - the last chip that I had like this was a P4 Northwood (well.....kinda like this)

I must admit that I'm absolutely rapt with the performance of the 2500K - a golden chip

fancy that

:)

i think those % numbers were without cpu pll enabled

id guess 95% can do 4.7-4.9ghz with pll overvoltage set to enabled but this can also depend on the mb

i think those % numbers were without cpu pll enabled

id guess 95% can do 4.7-4.9ghz with pll overvoltage set to enabled but this can also depend on the mb

heres the source. it was 100 tested cpus on a specific motherboard i think..

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1578110

got 1 question im gonna ask here since it seems on topic... does anyone know whats the different of the 10 levels of LLC in gigabyte bios? can see it refered to as extreme or ultra for other manufacturers, but i seem to have level 1-10 to chose from and got no idea what the difference between say level 4 and level 8 is? Having trouble finding the info anywhere too...

edit: think it is just higher number = higher llc. might be something I have to play with to get right...

Edited by p0is(+)n

Dasa is on the money, pll overvoltage is not being taken into account in those stats.

Find out how far it goes without PLL and you'll know what bracket you're in, either way, 3D with 5.2GHz is a good chip.

I know MSI are bit of hit and miss, it's not popular in the pro-OC scene, MSI tend to explode VRMs sooner than others.

Dasa is on the money, pll overvoltage is not being taken into account in those stats.

Find out how far it goes without PLL and you'll know what bracket you're in, either way, 3D with 5.2GHz is a good chip.

I know MSI are bit of hit and miss, it's not popular in the pro-OC scene, MSI tend to explode VRMs sooner than others.

eeeek! I hadn't heard that before......

what's with exploding 'Military Grade' components?

Testing right now to try and find a stable safe voltage 24/7 OC, currently at 4.5ghz at ~1.375v and so far so good. I might see if I can fine tune it a bit to and once I find a sweet spot, I will see what else I can get up to.. :)

I must admit from the way people rave about these CPUs around atomic, I was almost expecting to do 4.5ghz with the stock cooler. I can see their potential is a little overstated but all in all seems like a very good chip, I am experiencing the same kind of tech purchase nirvana as OBA .

nes managed 4.2ghz on the stock cooler

my 2600k can manage ~4.3ghz with llc disabled 1.26-1.3v and ~4.8-4.9ghz with ~1.4v prime stable on water and this seems to be a tad below average for newer chips

edit going back the the mb

no experience with msi and my experience with asus goes right back to a7v then p4c800-e and p4p800 fiirs two were $300+ mb and overclocked great the last was a ~$200tboard and was a crap overclocker

ever since then it has been dfi then gigabyte but im tempted to go back to a highish end asus mb the other up side is there seems to be a lot of detailed info walking you threw how to oc\tweak there mb on the net

im currently using mb cpu fan pin to control my rad fans but the software sucks (limited options and setting some fan speeds hard locks the pc) and this mb doesnt work with speedfan

my p67 ud4 is still one of the first revision mb with the bad chipset i just cant live without my pc for long enough to rma it and although the chipset isnt to much trouble yet the lack of bios suport now is

just ordered a seasonic platinum 1kw psu so who knows maybe three cards of some kind is a possibility in the future :)

but in the mean time i will be pushing this thing a bit harder once it arrives maybe flash the gtx480 bios so i can feed them ~1180mv maybe get some 950mhz benchmarks happening again if my second card is up to it

Edited by Dasa

looks like a sweet psu dasa, hope your cards are up to it for you :D

I noticed one of the 'features' highlighted on the gigabyte packaging was 2x thickness pcb, whether this is just a gimmick or thickness plays some role in performance/stability i am not too sure.. may help to prevent warp from hsf mounting. I can't say I have had any experience with MSI high end products, but in their lower end I had to do heaps of returns when manufacturing few hundred PCs a week at my old job. probably a lot less than the simillar model intel boards we also used, but the msi were cheaper amd boards.

Personally this is my first foray into gigabyte, a few years ago I probably wouldn't have but they have established a pretty solid reputation over the last 5+ years from where they previously were. The only thing I've noticed that they lack in is the BIOS department, firstly they are still using the old school BIOS and not the new style as are most manufacturers now. I also had problems recovering from bad OC settings a few times and had to take out a card to get my battery out for a few mins. I've always used and recommended ASUS as they are in my experience the most consistently reliable manufacturer and the extra $20-30 is usually worth it in the end.

on another note I had no end of issues with them on my previous mobo, asus p5ke. it was a pci-e 2.0 2x/4x mobo which was plenty for those cards but they just wouldn't work or detect. maybe because it wasnt 8x or 16x? it did work for a while but mysteriously stopped again and was never able to get it working again. on the new mobo in my sig same cards work in any config like magic. I was worried it was an issue of compatability in an older engineering sample 5770 and a newer much smaller revision.

Edited by p0is(+)n

thanks Dasa.

you've got much the same experience in mobos as me - minus the Gigabyte boards.

I guess I'll probably end up with another Asus mobo.......or maybe a Gigabyte, tho I'm not keen on them.

are the more expensive Asrock mobos as cheaply made as the less expensive ones? the PCB on my current board is like a sheet of cardboard......very thin, very light.....

whereabouts are you living, Dasa?

when I get another mobo, I could lend you my Asrock til you get your mobo RMA'd - that should be before xmas.....if all goes well.

not sure how thick there more expensive mb are but im guessing that the more features they add the more layers that are needed but they probably still wont be as thick as gigabyte which advertises adding a layer of copper to help spread heat

im in north central vic thanks for the offer but i will probably just hope that z78 and 22nm chips get here sooner rather than later then rma it and try to pass it on to a family member when it gets back rumours are suggesting this may happen first to second quarter next year

I settled for 4.2ghz 24/7 because it loads at around 1.2-1.24v, which awesome heat/performance ratio imo. on a cooler day it wont go over 45.

Indeed you need to hit 5.5!

indeed, that would be unreal, if I could.....I don't think it'll reach 5.3 with this mobo, it's one calibration below limit for the CPU voltage at 5.2.......

it definitely deserves a better board to live in

still, I couldn't be happier with this CPU.

:)

It's nice to get some good silicon eh?

This Bloomfield 950 does 3D at 4.6 ghz with 2000nhz cas8 ram, seems like its got a decent memory controller,

When I get time Ill push over 1.5v and try 3d at 4.7 and try pi higher if I don't hit a hard bclk limit.

I'd like to try sandy, your chip is beast.

Nuke, that's the way I reckon, I run stock v and whatever of I can get with it for daily, which is 4ghz with 1750mhz cas8 on ram

I've just got mine running on Auto at 4Ghz. Been running very stable, no problems. Low voltage and it drops back to under 1v at idle. I could have used the Dynamic voltage but i'm a little lazy.

I've got two uni projects due on monday so i havn't been able to get around to the 3DMark 2001 comp, but i'm still going to organise it. I might get it done on monday and see if there is any form of digital prize i can offer for some incentive.

So if anyone has any more input as to rules i'd be happy to hear them or people will have to just abide by the rules i come up with :). I'm still keen on the Locked clock challenge. But i have been thinking, maybe have different clock locks for different series of CPUs. A a sort of balance tool.

Phenom II: 3.4Ghz

Core 2: 3.3Ghz

Sandy Bridge: 3.0Ghz

Older than the above: No higher than 3.8Ghz.

It's very general, but still makes it a little exciting as a nice balanced C2D or Phenom II rig might have a good chance at kicking butt :).

I thought about splitting SLI and Non-SLI, but decided against it. One column, person in No.1 position wins :).

Edited by smakme7757