Sign in to follow this  
nesquick

The I couldn't wait for bulldozer any longer upgrade/build log.

Well as per title I think I am sick of waiting for Bulldozer and I know I said I'd never get SB but oh well I'll just hang my head in shame for 10 seconds...

anyway as some of you know I like to do things different to other people.... building high end machines in massive cases is to easy and frankly boring, so I am doing a M-ATX build in a spare SG03 case I have had for ages to make it more challenging, the build will be done in 2 parts

So currently my system is ok for most things but its on the verge of needing an upgrade, with ME3, Skyrim and BF3 coming out towards the end of the year I decided to do it now rather than at the end of the year when im more likely going to be gaming rather than looking at setting up a new machine.

PART 1

Current specs are:

• AMD Phenom II X4
  • ASUS M4A78LT-M-LE mobo
  • Zotac GTX570
  • 4GB Kingston generic ram
  • Antec NEO ECO 520
  • Lian LI PC8 something case
  • Samsung DVD burner
  • Samsung F3 1TB system/storage drive

Several of these will be brought over to make the following system

• ASUS P8P67-M PRO
  • 4gb Kingston generic ram
  • 500GB hitachi storage drive
  • 1TB samsung system drive partioned into 2 500GB sectors 1 for windows 1 for steam
  • SG03 MATX case
  • Scythe shuriken low profile cooler
  • Corsair HX650 PSU
  • Samsung DVD burner
  • Zotac GTX 570

PART 2

Second GTX570 when I sell some stuff

I'll post some pics/overclocking results up soon when part 1 is put together :)

also will be looking to compare it to the guys with GTX480 SLI.

cheers

Posted Image

Fixed.

Sounds like a good built. I'm a fan of the small Silverstone cases too. What sort of overclock would you be aiming for with the 2500K?

This thread should be renamed "The if I had have kept one of the many i7 systems I have owned I would not need to get more new stuff"

This thread should be renamed "The if I had have kept one of the many i7 systems I have owned I would not need to get more new stuff"

I know, right! :P

nah it would be upgrading from I7 to I7 :P

woo! new tech

Posted Image

Edited by nesquick

aye sir consider it done.

not till tomorrow though, Umart didn't have my mobo there today and the cooler has no eta so I will have to come up with something else possibly a H50, whatever I get has to fit under the PSU.

Posted Image

Cool Story bro. I swear I was going to start betting that you wouldn't do a sandy build but that fuck I didnt.

Edited by mudg3

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/owning-operating/70471d1171736975-different-kind-stuck-dozer-stuck-mud.-2005.jpg

Cool Story bro. I swear I was going to start betting that you wouldn't do a sandy build but that fuck I didnt.

yea I actually surprised myself, did a fair bit of research and uming/arring, almost went mini itx again but M-ATX was cheaper for better performance and I can OC, which reminds me I'll have to brush up on my overclocking skills I haven't overclocked a chip in easily 14 months.

Lucky Sandy is the least ball-tearing chip to clock in years

Yeah it's pretty easy. Just don't change the system agent voltage.

No skill needed anymore.

Skill was never required.

If some degree of skill was not required then we wouldn't see a bazillion threads on "how to overclock my Q6600/i5 750"

If some degree of skill was not required then we wouldn't see a bazillion threads on "how to overclock my Q6600/i5 750"

haha nah i agree with cyber. intelligence and the ability to read was required ;)

Skill is only required for competitive overclock runs. And even then, a large factor is the size of your wallet, and plain ol' luck. People who make "how do I" threads are testament to this, after all, they'll plug in a few numbers and get an overclock instantly - without knowing what the heck they've just done.

anyway....

got my mobo before work today, just out of curiosity I chucked it in my lian li case to make sure it all worked

seems they are dead easy to get ok numbers on, this is the stock cooler with stock paste, stock volts seem a bit high, I need to lower that when I figure out this crappy new style of bios.

Posted Image

edit: I'd also like to comment on how much snappier the system is over the quad Phenom II 840 I had even though I don't have an SSD everything is still very fast.

Edited by nesquick

not on a stock cooler man, I just got this chip I don't want to kill it :P

3dM 11 score has gone up roughly 27% http://3dmark.com/3dm11/935871 my Phenom II and GTX570 got ~P3900, the 2500K at 4.2ghz got P5336

I am just benching it at this stage, I will put it all in the SG03 and post up some photos in a couple of hours.

edit: Call of pripyat benchmark with everything maxed out 1920x1080

Posted Image

Edited by nesquick

sexy in a box man, loving it!

cant wait to get mine!

and another timely reminder of how much i want to buy the stalker games.. gah

edit: think im gonna go with the Lian Li PC-A04. then if i have enough money. might try and watercool it too.

Edited by tunksy

Lucky Sandy is the least ball-tearing chip to clock in years

Yeah it's pretty easy. Just don't change the system agent voltage.

No skill needed anymore.

Tell that to the 50 dram drive strength options on my DFI Ultra D NF4 and my rarer Crossfire CF3200 DFI mobo

Fcuking mental clocking on that, but overclock has gotta much easier since the core series was introduced.

Also it depends on the meaning, overclocking itself isn't hard, but doing well is.