Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
@~thehung

Buying a smartphone soon - How much data will I need?

Many Atomicans at one time or another have been bamboozled by an internet noob asking the 'simplest' of questions...

e.g. "I am finally getting broadband and was thinking of going with a Bigpond plan that has a 5GB quota - is that a lot of data? Do you think that will be enough?"

Your head quietly implodes as you ponder the amiable innocence with which such a complicated question was just asked, and when it is clear the person knows very little about the topic, you have a choice on whether dismiss the question in one way or another with "...probably, I don't know, er...it depends" or to embark on an lengthy exploratory survey of their current habits and future expectations for their internet use, and so forth.

With complete mindfulness of how difficult it is to generalise about these things, I find it amusing that I'm sorta kinda in a similar position regarding smartphones and data limits. (I've never even touched a smartphone).

I wonder if anyone can give me a general idea of how much data they use per month and how they judge that in terms of what is "normal". haha.

I assume that social networking and email is all very lean — without any surprise overheads?

What sort of multimedia services and apps do 'most people' use which chew through the data at alarming rates?

How big are most applications (including games), and can they be downloaded separately via ASDL etc?

In the short term I would only be checking email, and very occasionally querying googlemaps, and hopefully all of that usage would be as exactly as expected. But I am unsure about data hungry stuff that will become 'a must' once I find out what these devices can do.

Also, if anyone knows good websites for phone reviews particularly relevant to the australian market and our carriers, that would be most appreciated too.

Edited by @~thehung

I'm with Voda, on an N97 Mini and I use between 1 and 1.5 GB/month.

The vast majority of that is taken up with podcasts (NPR, BBC, Rocketboom etc. etc.) and YouTube (StarCraft2 replay commentary, baby!). I would easily be using my full 2GB cap if I had a more capable handset.

If I had say, an iPhone4, Galaxy S or any of the upcoming Android phones, they could (presumably) manage higher quality YouTube videos; more and faster web browsing; easier access to feeds and podcasts etc etc. Also, I happen to use navigation a fair bit (just moved house) so if it weren't for Nokia's built-in maps I'd be using a small but noticeable bit of my cap on Google Maps. All of which would burn through my cap pretty quickly if I was not careful.

So that's me. Can't speak for anybody else of course, but I'd not consider anything less than 1GB/month.

Oh, the apps I've downloaded are mostly pretty small, but the largest would be less than 10 MB.

I have a 200mb limit on Optus, as I'm on a $29 cap.

I use maybe 100mb if i'm lucky. Most of the time I'm bumming free wi-fi and stuff, but I rarely watch videos, and all my social networking is free on Optus through the apps, so it doesn't count to the 200.

It all depends on what your plan entails, what you're going to be doing with it.

If you go with an Android smartphone, there is an app known as 3G Watchdog, which monitors your usage, and you can adjust accordingly.

I have one gig. I web, Email, facebook and the odd youtube and never get close.

TBH I dunno how I lived without the thing before.

I think Telstra's new plans now shape your connection after you exceed your allotted quota.

Vodafone and Optus still charge insane excess data rates.

I've got 200MB data and never use that up. Honestly though, I don't use it all that much. I check my emails and only download the ones I want, and use it for banking on the go and checking the lofi atomic forums. I'm also using Opera Mini, which redirects and compresses all the pics before I see anything and seems to save me a heap of data.

My wife's got 1GB with an iPhone4, and it's plenty for her doing pretty similar stuff to me, minus the atomic forums and adding general web browsing and apps.

Edited by discoInferno

I have the $49 plan on a Desire and a gig of data usage, I'm yet to blow it and I use my internet frequently, from general browsing to lengthy YouTube sessions (as I get bored at uni at times :P) If you aren't going to be using it much and mainly for e-mail I would say that 400mb would be ample but if you want to have plenty of head room for 'surprise' or 'unforeseen' uses and if there is a chance you use it more often in the future then I would recommend a data package of about a gig or so.

i was on telstra with a Iphone 3gs now with telstra i often went over my 2 gig cap, if your using your phone alot its quite easy to go over your data. the main advise i have is not streaming video cus that chews threw data. if your not streaming video, then you probably wont use alot of data. i have a 2gig cap now with vodafone on the iphone and i get unlimited social network. on the move i use my phone web browsing and occasionally streaming music streaming from Raw fm. as long as your smart with your data usage youll be fine with 2gigs.

p.s. Save your downloads and updates for when you get home

It makes a big difference whether or not you will have access to wifi in the places you want to use the online features of your handseet. I generally don't :--P

thanks for the responses.

i guess theres nothing terribly new or deceptive i need to know about!

as for limiting data, i will check out the options for not sucking it down in the first place.

i guess i will use FF extensions to turn off images/flash/ads in various ways (assuming they work for android versions). makes me wonder if it would be possible to run a proxy at home that cached pages and replaced images with crappy low resolution versions instead. probably not worth the speed hit but it would be an alternative to a blanket ban on images :)

and what about options for downloading maps for Google Maps? i have not yet worked out if thats just something some Nokia people have been able to do.

i guess i will use FF extensions to turn off images/flash/ads in various ways (assuming they work for android versions). makes me wonder if it would be possible to run a proxy at home that cached pages and replaced images with crappy low resolution versions instead. probably not worth the speed hit but it would be an alternative to a blanket ban on images :)

Opera mini already does that, and it's fantastically fast :)

...oh yeah...discoInferno did mention that too.

maybe i forgot coz ive only ever had trouble with Opera in the past. or maybe coz it sounds like it must go through a potentially nosey central server.

i must look it up.

Opera mini also supports Opera Turbo doesnt it?

Its basically a super fast proxy (i notice no slowdown) the recompresses images to 5% quality JPEG's. Sounds terirble, but on that smaller screen, it looks pretty damn crisp still.

It also seems to use HTTP compression pretty agressively. Once again, no slowdown.

I use it on my laptop when I have to tether, last check: 3.5GB of actual data used over the lifetime, 400mb packet data transferred.

It does some amazing stuff.

EDIT: also, free proxy. It may not be anonymous but any data mining sites will collect the opera server IP not yours, which is always nice. I notice a lot less 'connection attempts' in peerblock while surfing with TURBO on, than off.

Edited by Master_Scythe

I was fine on the standard 50mb Telstra data, with very minimal usage (every now and then popping on to check facebook or mobile banking).

Since I started working at an out of town mine, spending a few weeks away every now and then I bumped the plan to 1gb, with the intention of tethering to my laptop. This went well for again, minimal usage (eg facebook/atomic) however anything with pictures very quickly adds up. For 1gb forget youtube etc. While I use it occasionally on my phone (youtube) using the computer for pics and vid definitely increases the usage (as you'd expect).

I was fine on the standard 50mb Telstra data, with very minimal usage (every now and then popping on to check facebook or mobile banking).

Since I started working at an out of town mine, spending a few weeks away every now and then I bumped the plan to 1gb, with the intention of tethering to my laptop. This went well for again, minimal usage (eg facebook/atomic) however anything with pictures very quickly adds up. For 1gb forget youtube etc. While I use it occasionally on my phone (youtube) using the computer for pics and vid definitely increases the usage (as you'd expect).

Depends on the place I guess. New plans including social networking which doesn't count towards your quota. Plans these days are a lot better than before when 200MB, 500MB, 1GB was considered "normal".

Edited by Jeruselem

I'm on Optus' 40 dollar turbo text, so I get 1.5gb a month, and I hammer youtube and facebook all month long, browse atomic a bit, maybe a few other sites, and by the end of the month I've still got 1.4gb left.

2GB quota on my Desire HD

I got email constantly checking. Latitute always on. FB updates every hour.

I use the built in browser and always display the full sites (not mobile sites).

When I'm home, and at some friends houses, I am on wifi, otherwise I'm always on 3G data and I browse the web with impunity. I don't watch youtube or stream anything generally.

I end up using less than 500MB a month. I would say that could possibly jump to 1GB if I didn't have any wifi.

1GB quota on my HTC Desire through Telstra.

On a $49 cap (Basically $39 for the plan and $10 for the data).

I use it for facebook, some web browsing on Dolphin HD Browser, Gmail, Google Maps (I will turn GPS on for Maps too).

Now I mostly use it for wifi tethering so I can get online with my netbook when I'm on the train. Beats using any browser on my phone.

It goes on Wifi when I'm home, but sometimes I forget an accidentally leave it on mobile data.

I use about 400-600MB a month.

Edited by morris

I'm on Optus' 40 dollar turbo text, so I get 1.5gb a month, and I hammer youtube and facebook all month long, browse atomic a bit, maybe a few other sites, and by the end of the month I've still got 1.4gb left.

given that an 8 minute YouTube video @ 240p (lowest quality) is 18MB, going up to 30MB @ 360p (medium quality), I seriously doubt you only go through 100MB of data montly if you "hammer" YT through your 3G connection.

You're either trolling or connecting to WiFi networks most of the time.

1GB quota on my HTC Desire through Telstra.

On a $49 cap (Basically $39 for the plan and $10 for the data).

I use it for facebook, some web browsing on Dolphin HD Browser, Gmail, Google Maps (I will turn GPS on for Maps too).

Now I mostly use it for wifi tethering so I can get online with my netbook when I'm on the train. Beats using any browser on my phone.

It goes on Wifi when I'm home, but sometimes I forget an accidentally leave it on mobile data.

I use about 400-600MB a month.

Yep I have the same plan on my HTC Mozart except I have another 1gb for free.

given that an 8 minute YouTube video @ 240p (lowest quality) is 18MB, going up to 30MB @ 360p (medium quality), I seriously doubt you only go through 100MB of data montly if you "hammer" YT through your 3G connection.

I watch youtube videos ~ half an hour a day, during my lunch break, either Equals three, or music videos. Never bother connecting to Wifi, given how little data I use.

I suspect Youtube falls under the social networking part of my data allowance which is unlimited.

Edit: I notice that Optus are no longer advertising the plan that I'm on, might have been too generous?

Edited by Gas Lee

I watch youtube videos ~ half an hour a day, during my lunch break, either Equals three, or music videos. Never bother connecting to Wifi, given how little data I use.

I suspect Youtube falls under the social networking part of my data allowance which is unlimited.

Edit: I notice that Optus are no longer advertising the plan that I'm on, might have been too generous?

Probably, too many people abusing their youtube privileges! But then they should have expect that.

Edited by Jeruselem