Brock

Steam and doing a reformat of HDD.

Hey guys, I got my new 570 today, I like to do a fresh windows install when I upgrade. My Steam is on a separate partition to where I install windows/apps etc.

Will Steam + all the steamapps work after I redo Windows? Or will I have to download / restore all my games again.

I would think it'd work given it's on a separate partition and all but just checking?

Hey guys, I got my new 570 today, I like to do a fresh windows install when I upgrade. My Steam is on a separate partition to where I install windows/apps etc.

Will Steam + all the steamapps work after I redo Windows? Or will I have to download / restore all my games again.

I would think it'd work given it's on a separate partition and all but just checking?

hay man ! im pritty sure it will work to but maby install the card first and update the the drivers and get the games working first !

just a thought anyway. GOOD LUCK !!! :)

As long as you keep your steam folder, you're fine.

Just reinstall steam. Log in. Close it.

Copy your old data to the new install directory.

Run steam again.

Install games. (one by one).

And they'll shoot to ~99%.

Maybe with a few mb of added downloads.

Backup your whole steam folder.

I'm using a steam folder that was created in 2007 and I've formatted several times since then.

Edited by bushi

Just install steam straight over the top of the old folder and all your games will appear, you won't need to "install them" again.

Just install steam straight over the top of the old folder and all your games will appear, you won't need to "install them" again.

Just watch out for the Steam client updates though. Other than that, what nukey said is pretty much what I did for my Steam drive.

Seems like you've got it sorted, if you are doing a clean install I would reccomend not using the inbuilt steam backup function. Unless they fixed it, its _painfully_ slow. I learnt this the hard way, about 6 months ago. The best way imo is to copy all the stuff from your steamapps folder and paste it back later, much quicker in comparison to steam's backup function.

Edited by the_vege

No need to even do that. Just run the steam.exe in the folder where all the games are and it will pop up a box about not being installed properly, then it will proceed to sort itself out.

At worst you may need to delete the ClientRegistry.blob file in the steam folder.

In progress now :) is it only steamapps that I need to copy back in?

yeah the steamapps folder ! i did it if a usb and it was so fast compaired to a disk lol

No need to even do that. Just run the steam.exe in the folder where all the games are and it will pop up a box about not being installed properly, then it will proceed to sort itself out.

At worst you may need to delete the ClientRegistry.blob file in the steam folder.

This is the most work you should be doing, simply finding the STEAM.exe and running it again.

Either way works I think, I managed to get it going by just copying the old steamapps back in, barely any downloading required again.

Thank GOD I didn't have to download the games again haha.

The built in steam backup function is slow as =/ no use using it at all.

I was able to backup my steam folder and replicate it to all my other computers using Windows Home Server. My Steam folder got to 150GB at one point, that's a lot of DVDs!

I was able to backup my steam folder and replicate it to all my other computers using Windows Home Server. My Steam folder got to 150GB at one point, that's a lot of DVDs!

My steam folder is currently taking up 600gb of a 1tb hdd -.-

Actually looks like its taking up closer to 720gb...theres probably heaps of shit in there that can be deleted, the folder is probably 5 or 6 years old by now.

Is there a way to back up ALL games at once? Or select a few to back up and then just let it go? When I go to back up my games list, I select what I want to back up, but I have to keep returning to my PC to hit finish in between each game, so it can start backing up the next game. Stupid :/

The way I do it, is I copy the whole lot, then use Steam to remove the games I don't play (or wouldn't be suitable for a particular machine, such as the laptop.)

This is why I also love games that use the steam cloud for save games, game progress, etc. A few less things to find and backup.

Is there a way to back up ALL games at once? Or select a few to back up and then just let it go? When I go to back up my games list, I select what I want to back up, but I have to keep returning to my PC to hit finish in between each game, so it can start backing up the next game. Stupid :/

I backed up about 50gb worth of games for my laptop the other week, I just selected the first game I wanted, went to backup... then ticked all the games I wanted backed up and let it go, took a while though, but it worked.

I backed up about 50gb worth of games for my laptop the other week, I just selected the first game I wanted, went to backup... then ticked all the games I wanted backed up and let it go, took a while though, but it worked.

Hmm, yeah that didn't work for me. Ticked all the games I wanted to backup, had to hit "Finish" every time one finished. Might be something in the settings I have to check, might check it out when I get home then.