A few SSD questions

Hi guys,

My current system is

i5 760 @ 3.8Ghz

Gigabyte ga-p55a-ud3

4GB 1600mhz DDR3 G-Skill ram @ CL6

1TB WD Caviar Black

W7 64bit

So at the moment I am running my Windows off the 1TB HDD and also, on a separate partition, my "Data" drive with all the music, documents and patches etc.

I've been looking at getting an SSD over the last couple months. I've been doing a bit of research and it seems just about the right time to grab one. (as the cost is coming down, performance is increasing and reliability is becoming stable)

I have an OCZ Vertex 3 120GB in my sights. This is a SATA-III SSD. My problem is, my motherboard uses the Marvell 9128 chipset to control the SATA-III. I've read that this does not use the full potential of the 6GB/s speeds of SATA-III as it runs of 1xPCI-e lane, rather than straight to the P55 chipset like the SATA-II ports do.

Should I just buy an older Vertex 2 and run it off the SATA-II ports or wait for the Vertex 3 and run it off the SATA-III port? Given I won't get the full speed of the SATA-III?

My plan is to obviously run W7 off the SSD and just use my 1TB WD for my "Data"

What are your thoughts? I would think going with the Vertex 3 off SATA-III would be the better option. As the SATA-III speed will still be faster than SATA-II. Also I would be getting a better quality SSD with the Vertex 3.

Cheers

Daniel

Not really. The PCI-e will be enough to load it. Heck, I haven't seen any SSD move beyond 250Mb/s write and 400Mb/s read anyway.

Anyway, you'll be fine as the drop from SATA3 to SATA2 isn't that great. At most, you're only losing 20% speed.

Edited by sora3

Not really. The PCI-e will be enough to load it. Heck, I haven't seen any SSD move beyond 250Mb/s write and 400Mb/s read anyway.

Don't be confusing Gb for GB or Mb for MB there sora.

Anyway, you'll be fine as the drop from SATA3 to SATA2 isn't that great. At most, you're only losing 20% speed.

Don't the Vertex 3s run at around 500/500? That's what I read somewhere, and I've been looking around, but not many places stock them.

Whoops, you're right tantryl. Should be MB, not Mb... >>

Harmonic, not really. Most previews of the Vertex 3 has it about the same numbers I quoted. But I do think that'll change later on.