Reb1rth.

[PC] The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

So, seeing as there's been no 'standard' Witcher 2 thread... I thought I'd make one.

The Witcher 2 Facebook page posted the new cover art for the game 20 minutes ago.

I'd say it's definitely an improvement over the previous!

New (left), and old (right) covers;

Posted ImagePosted Image

Personally, I prefer the new cover. Quite similar, but Geralt's new face is much improved.

Anybody else pumped for this game?

The first Witcher is probably my favorite 'RPG', up there next to Shining Force II on the Mega Drive, and FFVII on PSX. :o

I'm dying to get my hands on this one. It looks quite amazing from what I've seen in the billion developer videos that're scattered around the interwebs.

The hardware specs were released not long ago also, for those interested.

Recommended specs:

* Processor: Intel Quad Core or AMD equivalent

* Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 260, 1 GB memory / Radeon HD 4850 with 1 GB memory

* Memory: 3 GB for Windows XP / 4 GB for Windows Vista and Windows 7

* Hard Disk: At least 16 GB of free space

Minimum specs:

* Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz or AMD equivalent

* Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800, 512 MB memory or ATI equivalent

* Memory: 1 GB for Windows XP / 2 GB for Windows Vista and Windows 7

* Hard Disk: 8 GB for the game installation and 8 GB for bonus materials

Gametrailers Witcher 2 video page.

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/the-witch...assins-of/12906

Special (physical) edition comes with a free Witcher 2 laser mouse and mouse pad if you pre-order at EB, haha. Only $88.00, not too bad for EB Games. They're even undercutting JB Hifi on a number of games these days.

http://www.ebgames.com.au/pc-150896-The-Wi...mium-Edition-PC

I was going to post the Steam link, but it has disappeared from the Australian Steam store, for some reason... no doubt it'll pop back up with some ridiculous price tag sometime soon.

Also available on GOG.com for preorder -- $44.95, and DRM-free, for those DRM Nazis out there! :) Your game comes more pure than the purest game that ever pured.

Edited by Reb1rth.

I was going to start playing #1 tomorrow, if I can tear myself away from Shogun 2 and Starcraft that is. Picked it up for $19 with all the bonus content so I think I'll wait till #2 is around that price also.

yeah #1 was pretty damn good. Much better than DA2 at any rate. Expecting good things from this one too, but don't have the $$$ to spare.

Sex cards FTW!!! :-)

Finished The Witcher the other week, I have to say it's now on my list of best PC games ever. I've never been sucked into a medievil RPG before, The Witcher somehow changed that. Definitely picking the sequel up, though not sure if getting it on release day is a good idea.

I should mention (and maybe you could add it to the OP reb1rth) its available on GOG.com for preorder and it will be DRM free (the GOG version) $44.95 to preorder it from there and steam, not a bad deal.

I'm getting it ASAP. I know The Witcher was broken on release, but I dare-say they won't be making the same mistake with this one.

Watching all the developer videos, it sounds like they're really trying to make something amazing. A real step-up from the original.

Geralt is also one of my fav (playable) video game characters, too. Up there with J.C. Denton (Deus Ex), and Garrett (Thief).

I still have the first installed. I haven't gotten past the first hour yet. I want to, but I can't be bothered.

I'm told it gets a lot better, but.. eh. So far I don't care about anyone in the game.

You're a Witcher, you don't have feelings. ;)

At least get into Vizima and wander around for a bit. I didn't start enjoying the game 'til I beat the fire dog boss thing, then I was addicted.

I enjoyed the Witcher pretty much from the get go. It's too bad that the engine felt dated but the story and the different mechanics made it awesome.

And too bad that it wasn't shown but there is a collectors edition which has much more than the limited editions.

http://buy.thewitcher.com/preorder-collectors-en

Basically what is in the limited edition, plus 6 dice, artbook, sculpture of Gerald's head, playing cards and as well as the Temerian oren.

Too bad that Australia's allocation for it has already been sold out... otherwise, I'll be on it like a heartbeat.

Edited by sora3

I enjoyed the Witcher pretty much from the get go. It's too bad that the engine felt dated but the story and the different mechanics made it awesome.

In 2007 or whenever it was that it came out the engine looked really good, it feels dated now though. Although the character models are alot nicer than some newer games.

I don't think the engine looks that dated, really what made the game feel dated was how linear the navigation was. like not being able to jump over a seemingly small log, or walk too close to certain buildings. I also have to admit that I "liked" the game, up until Vizima, when I then became addicted, with the myriad story branches arching off, or intertwining with others.

The Witchter 2 was removed from the Steam Store just recently, I hope this doesn't mean a delay.

sorry I see the OP has just mentioned it.

I read that it could have been removed from the Steam Store not because of delay but because they wanted to end the pre order discount and put up the proper release page as it is getting closer to launch, heres hoping!

Edited by Bundy

Loaded up Steam and it was still there. Just not on special though.

Not there for me, I already own it so I go to library > right click > select "Goto store page" the page it loads is blank and then it goes to the steam home page.

I have to say, I like the lighting of his body, and his swords, on the new box, but I prefer his face on the old box. The new one makes his face look too flat.

Given I spent 214 hours on the first game (according to steam), I'm likely to jump on this one as soon as I can.

Wish it would damn well hurry up!

Not Safe For Work (but oh so awesome) screens.

Witcher 2 - get in PC!

unfortunately need to upgrade my laptop before I'll get to play it :(

/edit: solid OP too, Rebirth, just what I was hoping to see around here.

What interests me is the 'congrats' screen, a month to go and still in alpha?

Seems like there's still a lot to work on, though it's looking great.

And I like their attitude in the P.S. :)

BTW, any of you guys pre-ordered? If yes, where?

Got mine @ GOG

Edited by sillysam

Doubt that alpha build they send out is where they're at in the development right now.

It's probably quite old.