Reb1rth.

[PC] The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Doubt that alpha build they send out is where they're at in the development right now.

It's probably quite old.

Hopefully, then they would have sufficient time to polish the game.

Though the article was out 17 April, so it might not be that old.

I'm wondering how they come up with the 'dev hours'...

The article might not be so old, but the disc they recieved could be a 6 month old build for all we know.

Highly doubt they'd still have the game in alpha this close to release.

Where does it say its in alpha?

http://www.skillpoint.se/text/the-witcher-2-stor-bildspecial

Third role from the bottom, pic in the middle

The article might not be so old, but the disc they recieved could be a 6 month old build for all we know.

Highly doubt they'd still have the game in alpha this close to release.

You're right, they'll be nuts to do that...

Though it says "preview build" in the screenshots, perhaps their "alpha" is different from ours

Edited by sillysam

Unless I can't read (which is likely, I'm quite sick atm) I can't see it saying its an alpha build anywhere, just that its a preview build.

Also, to calculate man hours, there are several methods for doing it.

There are x amount of people working on the game. At the time they sent the preview out, there are y days left until it goes gold.

Assuming each person works 8 hours a day, x*8(y) Total dev hours left. (something like that anyway, my maths is a bit flakey, its been a while)

Or, they make an estimate, based on how they're traveling and how much more time they think they need to spend on it. If CDProjekt have 100 people working on the game, then 48,000 man dev hours would be something like 60 days.

Unless I can't read (which is likely, I'm quite sick atm) I can't see it saying its an alpha build anywhere, just that its a preview build.

Also, to calculate man hours, there are several methods for doing it.

There are x amount of people working on the game. At the time they sent the preview out, there are y days left until it goes gold.

Assuming each person works 8 hours a day, x*8(y) Total dev hours left. (something like that anyway, my maths is a bit flakey, its been a while)

Or, they make an estimate, based on how they're traveling and how much more time they think they need to spend on it. If CDProjekt have 100 people working on the game, then 48,000 man dev hours would be something like 60 days.

You are right....Must have jumped to a conclusion

My bad.

Thanks for the explaination, just what I thought.

Did any of you guys have trouble getting through the witcher 1? It took me 4 or 5 tries to get through that first act, but after that i was LOVING it. One of my favorite rpgs.

I found the first part of the game quite boring, it took me up until I beat the fire dog boss to start getting into the game... when it begins to open up a little.

After that though, yeah... addicted.

I hope the second game doesn't force you through a crappy tutorial level.

Oddly enough, it was the boss Cerberus that was giving me grief for the first game until I started to take notice about what I was doing for skills.... >>

I found the first part of the game quite boring, it took me up until I beat the fire dog boss to start getting into the game... when it begins to open up a little.

After that though, yeah... addicted.

I hope the second game doesn't force you through a crappy tutorial level.

i liked the tutorial part of the game but what bores me in a lot of rpg including the witcher is when you spend a large amount of time running from house to house in town later in the game

Ok, something's a miss here..

Witcher 2 has gone gold and is less than a month off and it still isn't up on steam store. I wonder if the Australian release will be delayed or if this is because they are expecting to be refused classification. Not having their product for sale on their biggest selling platform 3weeks form launch is very strange.

Ok, something's a miss here..

Witcher 2 has gone gold and is less than a month off and it still isn't up on steam store. I wonder if the Australian release will be delayed or if this is because they are expecting to be refused classification. Not having their product for sale on their biggest selling platform 3weeks form launch is very strange.

Its still available for pre-order from www.gog.com

Yea but I don't think gog as region specific listings they worry about regionds at distribution point jot the sales point. I am wondering more about the signifigance of intentionally pulling the product from the Australian marketplace on the largest obline distribution platform. If it was only for repricing it would be up again because the game is gold and aprox 3weeks away

I got worried and did a preorder from GOG as well.

I'm damned if I'm gonna miss out because of some Steam or Ratings wankery.

*taps fingernails on desktop*

Damnit. Why isn't it May 8 yet? :(

I got worried and did a preorder from GOG as well.

I'm damned if I'm gonna miss out because of some Steam or Ratings wankery.

*taps fingernails on desktop*

Damnit. Why isn't it May 8 yet? :(

What happens on May 8?

Just saw this on Internode;

Overnight, we received word that The Witcher 2 had received an MA15+ rating for "Strong violence, sex scenes, nudity and coarse language". With the game being rated 18+ in the UK, did the developers change anything for the Australian system? We've been in touch with Australian distributors Namco Bandai who can confirm that they did - and here's what it was.

Only one thing was changed: Geralt is no longer able to choose to accept sex as a reward for successfully completing a side quest. The idea of receiving sex as a reward was not suitable for inclusion within an MA15+ classification, so Namco Bandai requested that CD Projekt remove the option of choosing to have sex as one of the rewards for that quest. The quest and the character who offers it are still in the game, but presented in a "slightly different context".

We are assured that this is the only change made to the Australian version of the game: the rest of the game remains untouched.

Kinda weird how you can get laid in Mass Effect and Dragon Age and it not kick up a stink.

Personally though if I was offered a choice between Sex, Magical Weapon/Artifact or Gold as a quest reward. I'd be opting for the one of the latter two.... that goes for real life also... - Am I alone?

Well as far as I know, for the particular thing, it's sex, or no sex.

It's also more graphic than Mass Effect and Dragon Age combined.

Not sure if I'm allowed to link to screenshots of it here, though?

Edited by Reb1rth.

Well as far as I know, for the particular thing, it's sex, or no sex.

It's also more graphic than Mass Effect and Dragon Age combined.

Not sure if I'm allowed to link to screenshots of it here, though?

PM me.

It will save me time looking through tubes of red and hamsters of x later.....

Well it looks like another game being bought overseas. Not because I would accept sex rewards.....

Well I would actually.

Since it's still in the game, and now you get it regardless of if you want to say yes or no... I'll get whatever version, 'cause I'd probably choose yes anyway.

Can't deny my game character his virtual pleasure! What kind of host would I be?

Though, I may be confused from the Internode article... 'cause it doesn't actually say if it's in the game or not... sort of.

I dunno, hanging out on another planet atm.

Ignore me. :)

Edited by Reb1rth.

Didn't you read the kotaku article you linked? :P

UPDATE: We’ve tried to clarify with Namco Bandai and it does seem that, in this side quest, the offer of sex is rejected automatically. Given all we know of The Witcher 2 it seems there will still be plenty of sexy time for Geralt, just not in the specific context of ‘sex as a reward’.