Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Reb1rth.

[PC] The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Having just finished the Witcher last weekend, I hope they have attempted to make Geralt's face more animated during cutscenes. Static face doesn't really give you the impression that he feels anything to the whole story line.

I too have sunk a few hours into TW2, although I heard through the grapevine there were some temporary glitches last night (Australian time) with the site registration (which, for those of you playing along at home, you have the option to do on the initial splash screen thingie) which weren't expected to last long (I didn't check this morning, so the issue could be ongoing or rectified by now, I have no idea).

So. The big man is back :-) And looking good, too, I might add :-p

I had a small patch it seems, maybe it addressed the glitches you refer too.

So far im glitch free.

and very much enjoying it

Seriously The Witcher 2 seems like the first truly good PC exclusive game in years, last one being Stalker SoC.. (opinion).. Relaly pleased so far

Kind reminder to everyone remember to hit F5 frequently! - quicksave.

Edited by Bundy

Oh my game patched itself right up, too :-) No in-game glitches - just the one that came when I tried to register the game and the servers didn't recognise my username (odd, considering my user account definitely exists because I use it every other day :-p ). But it's a known issue and it doesn't affect gameplay, anyway, so I'm in no rush :-)

Quite enjoying it so far. Runs like shit on ultra, not sure if its a bug or driver issues, but high seems okay at 50-60fps. Funny thing, High actually looked better than ultra, which is just odd.

So far it seems really hard, but maybe I just suck, dropped the difficulty down to Normal from hard and am still getting my ass handed to me in some fights.

Having just finished the Witcher last weekend, I hope they have attempted to make Geralt's face more animated during cutscenes. Static face doesn't really give you the impression that he feels anything to the whole story line.

Might have something to do with him being an emotionless 'mutant', perhaps...?

Posted Image

Okay, I tried to use the system checker thingy to see how my specs stack up, but Java is refusing to play the game for me. Any ideas how I'm gonna go anyone?

Intel Core2 Duo E8500 3.17gHz

4gB RAM

NVidia GeForce GTX260

either Windows XP or Windows 7 (I'm dual booted).

What say you?

I'm getting like 50-60fps on high with 2 GTX480s. Not sure if theres an SLI bug (although on ultra I was getting like 15-22fps with sli on and 8-10 with it off) or what, but it seems a bit poorly optimised atm, unless its a driver issue.

I'd say you'll be able to do like medium sorta settings.

I nearly finished the first Witcher so I'll probably finish that before I get started on the Witcher 2. Hopefully, the last chapter won't be a bitch to do.

I too have sunk a few hours into TW2, although I heard through the grapevine there were some temporary glitches last night (Australian time) with the site registration (which, for those of you playing along at home, you have the option to do on the initial splash screen thingie) which weren't expected to last long (I didn't check this morning, so the issue could be ongoing or rectified by now, I have no idea).

So. The big man is back :-) And looking good, too, I might add :-p

Geralt would be right down your alley I'd think!

Reckon it's worth playing the original? I played it briefly when it first came out and wasn't hooked, so put it aside. I noticed you could import your Witcher save, so thought I might drag it back out before playing through 2.

Think it's worth it? Or a waste of time?

The original witcher game is awesomely worth the time. Just be prepared to sink some time into it.

Yeah, the prologue is dull. Chapter 1 isn't all that much better, although is a bit more interesting.

Chapter 2 and onwards is awesome. By that point you are completely sucked into the story and watching the choices you made in previous chapters come back to haunt you.

There is rumors about being able to take weapons and Armor with you into the next one. Raven's Armor, Moon Blade and Gwalhir (or G'valchir if you aren't able to get Gwalhir) are a good start to want to take with you. :)

Cool. Loading it up now then. Cheers for the heads up. I always said I was going to go back and play it. I don't think I got out of chapter 1 or 2. But I just never got around to it. Good enough reason now. Witcher 2 is the apple that is dangling in front of me. I shall try to bite down upon it.

I'm not sure how I feel about TW2 at the moment. Story seems good so far, but the gameplay is doing nothing for me. Fighting feels clunky and unresponsive at times, I really wish the combat was similar to the first. The stealth mission hardly seems stealthy atm aswell, would help if the game had a decent tutorial, I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be doing in regards to stealth, sneaking up behind people doesn't seem to work and blackjacking them over the back of the head only annoys them.

Might have something to do with him being an emotionless 'mutant', perhaps...?

True, but (which I didn't mention in my post) the expressions may be more than just an emotional expression as well - look at the final video of the the first game for instance. Or if combat is involved facial expressions to signify effort, not the emotion of the fight....

EDIT: for better clarification

Edited by psyckle

I really wish the combat was similar to the first.

That's not good. I loved the fighting in the first one, and thought the mechanic with the golden glowy bit was a nice one. :(

And stealth missions? Urrghh. If they aren't done well they can be awful.

:(

I don't know.. I actually really love the new gameplay style

The first few times in combat I got my butt handed to me, but with a little practice I got the hang of it.

The moves can actually chain into each other if you time them right (i.e. Quick, Quick, Heavy). You just have to take your time and actually *watch* what's happening on screen.

If you go in mashing buttons, you *will* die.

You also do *not* want to get flanked, as you appear to take more damage from behind. You need to dodge and keep the pack in front of you.

I also found using the "Control" sign (What ever it's called.. Axii?) was extremely useful at providing a decoy. Just mind control one guy and suddenly you've taken 2 out of the picture, as he starts wailing on the nearest enemy.

The stealh stuff took a little bit to get the hang of, but it's manageable.

Honestly, I think it just boils down to personal preference. I'm having an absolute blast with a more "engaged" experience, with QTE etc. I can see the "Pure, point and click" RPG crowd getting their feathers ruffled, but if you give the game a chance, there's some real fun to be had in there.

Loving every second so far.

Edited by neowulf

This game is fkin amazin,

The depth of game play is amazing, it destroys the Dragon age series in both story and combat. For me this is a GOTY contender and one of the best RPG's I have played in years.

The combat system is really clever, it can be shallow hack and slash mash on easy if that's what you like or it can be very tactical on hard, heavy and light blows have their place, counter attacks, melding your spells into your combos, knocking back off targets and it is very fluent not clunky at all, it can be very unforgiving if you make a mistake, like let someone hit you form behind, but I really enjoy challenging aspects of games.

So far the only thing lacking is a loot all button, like hitting E should loot all rather than having to click take all.

::Edit::

Just worked out Space bar is loot all!

Edited by Bundy

I haven't bought a new release PC game in forever.

I'm wondering if I can run it.

Q6600 @ 2.4 GHZ

4GB RAM

8800GT 512MB

Windows Vista

I'm thinking maybe on low settings? Which wont really be worth it.

I haven't bought a new release PC game in forever.

I'm wondering if I can run it.

Q6600 @ 2.4 GHZ

4GB RAM

8800GT 512MB

Windows Vista

I'm thinking maybe on low settings? Which wont really be worth it.

I think the video card will do you in. The game is really worth playing on high settings if you can manage it. The engine is amazing.

As has been mentioned, you really don't want to put Geralt into a situation where he has to turn tail to retreat - keep your back covered (not against the wall, that's generally a bad move), keep moving and don't get flanked. Combat has been changed since the original game, but I don't think it's a neck-breaking whiplash change - it's more like the concept of 'combat' has been expanded, or it's evolved.

Fark. So many games I want right now, with so many I've previously purchased left unfinished.

This sounds like my type of game!

You know you want to play with the big man, Brock... oh, wait, that doesn't sound quite right...

:-p

Man or men? I'm confused. :p

Seriously: LA Noire is out tomorrow, and I'm getting it, because I'm stupid... I haven't even finished Red Dead Redemption, I won't finish LA Noire. Witcher 2 is out, I haven't finished Witcher 1. I've been wanting to play through the COD SP campaigns for months but haven't got around to it. I still need to finish Dragon Age 2. I haven't finished Fallout 3, or FNV. And I also want to play through both the Mass Effect games.

FML.