Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
PointZeroOne

[All] Brink

The S.M.A.R.T button is retarded, it tries to do everything for you, but a lot of the time it fails. For example, on one map, when leaving the spawn there is a corridor you run down with some air conditioners or something sticking out of the wall, leaving you a narrow gap to pass through, if you get too close to the air cons while sprinting (sprinting is done with the S.M.A.R.T button) it will automatically make you slide. Other times, while running up stairs or going near a ledge, it will automatically make you jump up onto the ledge/railing, which is just plain frustrating.

The SMART button works well you just have to learn how to use it, in the example you give you can manually slide if you like with crouch or manually jump as well as using the SMART button. Also where you are looking will effect what it does. Once you are used to it there are no hiccups.

So far I think the SMART button and system is the best part of the game.

The S.M.A.R.T button is retarded, it tries to do everything for you, but a lot of the time it fails. For example, on one map, when leaving the spawn there is a corridor you run down with some air conditioners or something sticking out of the wall, leaving you a narrow gap to pass through, if you get too close to the air cons while sprinting (sprinting is done with the S.M.A.R.T button) it will automatically make you slide. Other times, while running up stairs or going near a ledge, it will automatically make you jump up onto the ledge/railing, which is just plain frustrating.

The SMART button works well you just have to learn how to use it, in the example you give you can manually slide if you like with crouch or manually jump as well as using the SMART button. Also where you are looking will effect what it does. Once you are used to it there are no hiccups.

Thats the thing though, the SMART button is hardly SMART, it just makes it so you don't need to slide or jump.

The problems I listed aren't going to go away when you "Get used to it", because simply put, theres nothing to get used to. If you accidentally run into something, which isn't hard to do with the clunky controls, then the smart button will jump/slide even if you don't want it to.

All in all, Mirrors Edge is a much better free running game.

Thats the thing though, the SMART button is hardly SMART, it just makes it so you don't need to slide or jump.

The problems I listed aren't going to go away when you "Get used to it", because simply put, theres nothing to get used to. If you accidentally run into something, which isn't hard to do with the clunky controls, then the smart button will jump/slide even if you don't want it to.

All in all, Mirrors Edge is a much better free running game.

Its very easy not to run into something, you are portraying the game as if it is a "before shot" in an infomercial.

Clearly there's two thought on the game extremely good and extremely bad

either way i need someone to play with - my steam name is in the stickied thread - it's getting lonely.

Ignoring the retarded hoops you have to jump through to get a co-op game running aside (the woeful console style menu system and having to open ports on something that's supposed to be using steamworks out of the box), I'm disappointed. The only real issue I've had with the smart system is it seems to have serious issues when you want to leap over something that isn't horizontal to the ground (like the railing on a ramp) and I've had it jump over some holes I've been deliberately trying to slide into.

Aiming has the giant 'console auto aim retarded sticker' stamped all over it.

Weapon balance needs a complete rework, even the guns you start with out of the box either suck beyond any form of use or approach OP nerf bat levels. You can wade into combat with 15 people emptying clips into you and other times you just drop over dead when someone sneezes in your direction.

Edited by Ihsan

Weapon balance needs a complete rework, even the guns you start with out of the box either suck beyond any form of use or approach OP nerf bat levels. You can wade into combat and kill 15 people at times all emptying clips into you and other times you just drop over dead when someone sneezes in your direction.

You'd think for a game that is so focused on MP that they'd try and have it as balanced and polished as possible at release.

But then again we are talking about the same guys who failed with ET:QW

Just read this page of this thread after seeing Steam throw about a dozen ads at me for this game. Impressions from these posts: I do not want this game in my life.

Sure as hell not for ninety bucks. For yet another clunky consoley piece of crap with no actual singleplayer and a shitty multiplayer.

God I can't wait til the end of this year when the real games everyone's been working on start coming out...

Hmmm.. Maybe I won't bother with it then.

Would you rate Bulletstorm better than Brink?

Oh bugger, it sounds pretty crap nukey and I bloody well pre-ordered it ages ago., so I have got it no matter what.

Still suppose I should give it a try sometime just so I can get pissed of at the crappiness.

:-(

Back to BLOPS and WoW for me until... something worth playing online is released. BF3 maybe.

I've been giving this a role in single player. getting used to it a bit and starting to grow on me. Make sure you do the challenges if you are playing, they are kinda like tutorials but give you more equipment upgrades.

Add me in steam if you like: bigtye

Cheers

Tye

I quite injoy the co op with friends, I still feel th largest problem is map design for the asymmetrical PvP it makes map balance very difficult in its current state.

I feel the best competitive mode would be the timed mode where you compete for an objective and then it switches sides and see if the other team can beat that time.

Bigtye accept my friend invite.

My god the reception of this game is more brutal than Homefront's.

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

The more I play it, the more I like it. Initial impression wasn't very good, but it grows on you!

I wish the game would smooth out, 60fps with vsync still feels like 25fps

I have to agree with NukeJockey... what a fracken dissapointment!

Graphics... Ok I have to admit I love cell shading and it feels very well done, however I seem to have some severe slowdown and I have a fairly modest system. Bad Console port!

Controls... I should jsut plug in my xbox controller, it feels very accelerated. If you move the mouse fast, the reticule moves faster, if you move it slow it doesnt move. WTF!!!

Gameplay... SP (See Co-op), Co-Op (See MP), MP (See TF2 with COD tards) No body helps anyone! I am getting 6000xp a game because I am the only medic doing anything. When you have a team of semi competent players it is actually quite fun.

Freerunning... Now this is my biggest dissapointment, I was thinking this was going to be mirrors edge mixed with TF2 mixed with MW1. All awesome. It leaves alot to be desired, there is no free running, you can grab on to ledges, you can vault over low obstacles, you can slide around on your arse. But thats it, there is no wall running, there is no reversing directions off of walls. Nothing.

Oh and FYI that revolver is BS, 2 shots = instant death.

Hopefully there is a patch with some good news because I really want this to work.

I should of purchased Dark Spore.....

Still having probs with steam accepting friend requests for those wnating to hook up.

Name is bigtye on steam for those that want to try and add.

I haven't played the bigger body types but the game has grown on me when paired up with good players. I wouldn't pay full price for it though having played through the security forces campaign.

I also agree with Cloaked regarding the free running not being what I thought it would be. Disappointed with that.

Tye

You kind of feel that with Rage and Duke Nukem appearing over the horizon they had a short period of time to really hit the mark with this game....

I think the biggest problem is that it is aimed at the wrong audience.

If they had have gone for ballistics like COD/Battlefield, chances are they would have done much better.

Unfortunately the ballistics and overall weapon balance is retarded.

One of the things that TF2 did well with the classes/body types was the fact that they actually had some kind of advantage. A scout is uber fast and hard to hit, heavies can take a shitload of damage while basically being able to act as CC of sorts, then you have your inbetweens that can dish out the damage. In Brink the classes don't set how much damage you can do or take, the body types do and having used all of the body types fairly extensively, there was no real advantages for the heavy, they still died easily, were slow and the big guns were horrible. And then theres the Medium/Light, both of which are very similar to each other in speed, however the light can do wall jumps (Woopty doo)

It seems like the best combination is medium body type and SMGs, considering you can take out a heavy with an smg before he can take you out with his minigun at close-medium range.

You kind of feel that with Rage and Duke Nukem appearing over the horizon they had a short period of time to really hit the mark with this game....

For a game that might as well be multiplayer only (And I feel was really aimed at the online crowd, not the singleplayer crowd) I doubt Duke and Rage would have been a blip on their radar.

God another FPS bites the dust by the sound of it.

and about 5 more will take its place.

Next stop... Fear 3.